The Cornfield

The Cornfield

A Chapter by Reaper

Chapter One: The Cornfield

The cornfield is flushed with long stocks of corn plants. The slight wind pushes the corn side from side. It would almost be a peaceful time if it wasn’t this field.


This terrible, terrible, field of death. Bodies filled under the hard dirt surface. They served as a reminder of the sin that occurred in the field weekly. Life hit full circle and gave life to this its corn protectors.


The big dark crows sit on the wooden gated enclose of the field. It is pitch black outside so they blend in with the environment.  They rarely crock out.


The woman with long tangled blonde hair runs almost out of breath looking for a place to hide. She searches and searches for someplace. She hears the crashing noises behind her. The fear of the situation sinks into her chest.


She turns the corner and the knife blade slides through the corn stocks then lands into the center of the woman’s chest.


She screams out.


The man hears the scream. He looks into the empty void of the night. He sings softly.


 

Her voice fades

Into the night

The wind carries

A smell of what has happens

Hits my nose as I get closer to the scene

The screams are

Lost and gone

The fear at the end of my dark, dark mind

Her voice fades

My dreams crash

As I see her stretched against the earth

Into an ugly, disgusting place

A place I’m trapped

By my own desires and will

Her voice fades

Into the bawls of my sinking soul

A soul now tortured by this sight

I searched and failed to find my peace, as

Her voice fades…


 

The man falls to his knees. He wraps the woman in his arms as her blood escapes on to his pant legs. His tears hit her pale face as she only has minutes left to live.


She looks up at him, “I love you.”

He stares into her hazel eyes, “I love you too.”

She closes her eyes for a moment then opens them, “Behind you!” She screams out.


The man turns as he is hit to the floor.  He drops the woman and falls over to the floor. The dark figure with the brown rag sack mask over its face. The figure plunges the already bloody knife into the man.


            He groans as the pain courses through his body as it starts to get cold. The figure laughs and starts to drag the woman’s body away.


            Ounces and ounces of blood escape on to the dirt ground. It pools around the man. He tries to keep her eyes out. The life is leaving him.


            Footsteps are heard next to him. A figure comes out of the corn into the clearing. The figure gets up closer to him.


            He can make out that it is a she. A pale woman with long straight red and orange hair. She stares at him.


He makes a noise, trying to speak.

“Don’t speak, just listen, nods if you understand?” Her voice is soft.

He weakly nods.

“Okay, so I have a deal for you. If you accept it, I will heal you but you have to work for me. And mostly, you have to give me your soul. Nod if you accept.”

He hesitates but nods.

“Okay good,” She leans over and touches him. After a few moments, he is healed.

“How…?” He says aloud.

“Don’t think about that right now. You must run away. He will be back.”

“But I need to save her.” He hesitates.

“She is already dead.” She looks at him then points to the distance, “Now run.”
He hesitates then runs.


He slides in and out of corn stocks as they hit him in the body. The coldness of the night stings his face. After a few moments, he escapes the field and searches for a way to survive.



© 2012 Reaper


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very strong opening chapter. I like the description and the place you took me with your words. I like the feel of mystery. Thank you for the excellent opening chapter.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Love the story it almost reminds me of the horror film children of the corn. Awesome writing so far.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Holy hell this whole chapter is a hook. I love it!
I hope this is a start to a new story and I’m not jumping into the middle of a book to book switch.
Your writing ability is growing in leaps and bounds. You’ve almost touched every sense and stirred many emotions with this short chapter.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love it hun! its so emotional and so descriptive. I so cant wait to read more :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


this is scary and full of excitement. i usually dont like scary things. but this.. this is good and the song sorta came out of nowhere. but i like how its a musical, it really ties in when you finish the chapter at the end. 100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
PJ
Give me a request when u make the next chapter okkk? this was good btw

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
?
Well this is dark but interesting....kinda leaves me wondering what shall happen next....he sold his soul...what is he going to have to do? hmmmmm
Very nice

Posted 11 Years Ago


Hmm...I'm gonna read the next chapter and then tell ya what's traveling round in my head at this mind melding maze you have laid before us all. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow, great start. I must read on.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow I really liked it this is deffinantly different and intriguing. Keep going please :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

597 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 13, 2012
Last Updated on April 13, 2012


Author

Reaper
Reaper

In Wonderland with Alice, AR



About
I may not write as much but any void I need to fill is full with love of my wonderful wife. more..

Writing
notes notes

A Story by Reaper


Arcally Arcally

A Poem by Reaper


Resurrection Resurrection

A Poem by Reaper



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..