Fear of the Dark

Fear of the Dark

A Story by DarkestStoryline

My eyes peered through the fogged glass of the small, black vehicle as I navigated my way through the dreadful forest that creepily haunted the road. There were no street lights (obviously, it's a damn forest) nor any other source of light besides my headlights and the little strands of moonlight that found its way through what little openings there were. It's a pretty boring forest in the daylight, I drive through it at 11 am or so to get to work. It's a whole different story once the sun drowns into the limitless unknowing that we call space. It's once peaceful and serene trees become hellish nightmares that lurk within the dark blackness. The critters inhabiting the land fall asleep for a little while and then awaken once again as unwanted mutations of the Earth that unknowingly force fear into the hearts of innocents.
There was not a sound from the outside world but the occasional furious wind that blows the opposite of where I'm heading. Inside of this metal box with wheels was the sound of the radio, soothing my unease with the familiar voice of people talking. Silence can create a noisy mind, is what my mother would always tell me. She said it's good to have a TV or radio on in the background so I can't be alone with my thoughts for too long. It's true too, silence prompts my mind to think of such evil thoughts. Thoughts that can only be known through the mind of a serial killer lucked up at an institute, and he too is alone with his very own mind. It's terrifying, much more so than the abstract and elongated monsters who replace the trees of this forest. When one is alone, who knows what their conscience will tell them.
My cars tire popped, which is a good scenario for a horror flick. The sound it made startled my heart, in turn making it skip a few beats. My radio only played static soon, which made me more worrisome than the only mode of transportation I have. Sure if I stay in here at least I'll be protected, is what most people would say. I'm not safe from myself, however.
I stupidly decide to step outside, the cold wind violently attacks my face. My headlights flicker on and off and they'll soon shut off. Kicking my car seems to not do anything, in fact it just quickens their immediate death. Soon my eyes were blinded by the vast, black darkness that consumed the forest. My body began to shiver as the wind grew more and more savage. The static was gone like the voices that came out of the speakers of the beautiful radio. I was alone with the monsters that haunted my mind. I was alone with the abstract creatures who wanted to lick my skin and slurp my intestines like spaghetti.
This everlasting fear ate away at my being, pushing me to lay onto the bitter and brisk pavement in a fetal position as I weep and succumb to this weakness of mine. It wasn't enough for it to strike my outside, it called for the caged thoughts inside of me to rip through all of my organs and devour my muscle. I could feel it creeping inside of my throat, ready to crawl out of my mouth. I could feel it tickle my nose so I can bleed it out from there. I only wept. I only lay. I was alone with it. I was alone with my fears, with my enemies. I was alone with the everlasting, the vast and the unknown. Maybe someday I can find out where the sun disappears to. Maybe someday I can find out where the devil lurks, but maybe I already know where.

© 2015 DarkestStoryline


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
Added on September 2, 2015
Last Updated on September 2, 2015
Tags: mind, brain, human, what does it mean to be human, fear of the dark, alone with our thoughts, thoughts, alone, darkness, blackness