Morning Routine

Morning Routine

A Story by Darksummerswind
"

In the future, a man gets up to start his morning

"

At 7:30 A.M. local time, an alarm went off in Apartment 374, Building H, Gamma District. Oscar Rodriguez awoke from a dream involving cloud-surfing cats and slammed his hand down on the offending device. He grumbled as he kicked off plastic sterile sheets and fumbled out of bed and into the bathroom, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes as he started his morning routine. First, a dip into the sterilization chamber, making sure the fumes get into the nose, eyes, and ears for a thorough cleaning. Then a quick breakfast of toast made from detox material, rinsed down with water and pills full of nanites to help combat any potential bacteria that slipped through. 


               “Amp, what’s the weather like today?” Oscar asked his building’s AI, finishing slipping his tie around his neck, smoothing out any wrinkle in his white dress shirt.


               “Sensors indicate that it’s currently thirty-nine degrees Fahrenheit outside. There’s a forty-five percent chance for rain. Pollution levels are at sixty percent and predicted to rise throughout the day. Radiation levels remain low. I recommend the X-46 Takayama Protective Suit with the K-series breathing apparatus.”


               “Will do.” Oscar coated his toothbrush with toothpaste laced with smart vitamins designed to seep deep into the teeth to burn out any potential decay.


               “Reminder, you have a dinner arrangement with Mr. and Mrs. Rodriguez at Le Cheeze at six tonight. Your father wishes to remark that his holographic stand-in is having technical issues and that he would like to purchase a new one. Mrs. Rodriguez does not believe that this is a necessary action but wishes for your input in this matter.”


               “Hesh alshwas sash that. Ish fhine.” Oscar gurgled.


               “Unable to interpret input. Please repeat.” 


              Oscar spat into the sink.  “He’s always saying that. It’s fine, they don’t need to spend the money on another one just because his image flickers in and out occasionally.” Pulling out a yellow hazmat suit from the closet, Oscar shoved his legs and arms into its empty, baggy appendages. “Tell them to make sure they order an hour before I get there so the food can get to their chamber in time. Don’t want a repeat of last time.” 


               “Affirmative. Sending message. Anything else I can do for you, Mr. Rodriguez?”


               “Nah, just make the cleaner bots actually clean beneath the bed this time.” Strapping the air filter around his face and pulling the suit’s hood over his head, he placed his suitcase into a hermetically sealed bag. He exited through his home’s automatic, sealing door while Amp turned off the lights, and took the elevator down, to join the bustling masses.

© 2020 Darksummerswind


Author's Note

Darksummerswind
This was for a contest of 500 words or less, so please keep that in mind when reviewing the piece.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Overall an enjoyable read. The science needs a little tweaking.
Plastic sheets are a choking hazard. Normal ones can be disinfected in the wash. Not sure on the detox toast, but you can heat regular toast enough to kill germs. You need some exposure to bacteria to strengthen your immune system (there are a lot of good bacteria, too). The toothpaste "smart vitamins" should be fluoride, and there are some calcium and phosphates additives that will remineralize the enamel.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Overall an enjoyable read. The science needs a little tweaking.
Plastic sheets are a choking hazard. Normal ones can be disinfected in the wash. Not sure on the detox toast, but you can heat regular toast enough to kill germs. You need some exposure to bacteria to strengthen your immune system (there are a lot of good bacteria, too). The toothpaste "smart vitamins" should be fluoride, and there are some calcium and phosphates additives that will remineralize the enamel.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 3, 2020
Last Updated on May 3, 2020
Tags: Science Fiction, Dystopia, Short Story

Author

Darksummerswind
Darksummerswind

Eternal Limbo, PA



About
I'm a writer who delves into all genres but particularly fantasy and science fiction, with a dabble of urban fantasy here and there. more..

Writing