Stood Up, A Call, and In The Shadows

Stood Up, A Call, and In The Shadows

A Chapter by Darksummerswind
"

Three different view points in this chapter.

"

3:10 P.M.

Eversnow Park

 

       Sebastian shivered as he stood in a growing pile of snow, his clothes offering him no protection from the cold.  Eversnow was a new park that had one of the most unique technological breakthroughs, an artifical snow maker.  It was located in the middle of park and continued to shoot out snow that felt exactly like the real thing and could even be eaten.  Sebastian had gone there after school to meet up with Nyree when she had texted him to be there. She had told him to meet her near the eastside entrance, something that Sebastian had found odd since it had been recently closed due to construction but he wasn't going to complain. So far she hadn't shown though. Where is she, I'm freezing my butt off here.  Sebastain had almost decided he had been stood up when a snap behind him made him spin around. "Nyree?" He said, hopeful that she would be right there in front of him.  Instead of Nyree, a bag was thrown over his head.  He started to struggle when something shocked him in his neck and all he saw next was darkness.

       Two figures carried Sebastian's unconscious body through the eastside entrance's construction site, allowing them to move unseen by anybody with the worker's having the day off.  They shoved him into the back of a black van and sped away with no one the wiser.

 

 

3:45 P.M.

Haven Police Department

 

       Gregory paced behind Mickey Vargas, a Hispanic lab tech of the Haven police, as Mickey worked on the department's computer. Mickey was currently trying to find the department's old files on the various killers that Gregory had seen back at the restaurant. "You know doing that isn't exactly going to make this go any faster." Mickey said as he turned to Gregory.

       "No, but neither is talking to me." Gregory said.

       Mickey sighed and turned back to the computer. "You want to tell me what you need these files for?"

       "No, just pull them up."

       "It's not that easy, some of these files are ancient. I can't just make files that old pop up when I want them."

       "Maybe not for most people, but you're not most people."

       Mickey just shook his head in response, not bothering to come up with some sort of remark. A little while later he pulled up multiple files of the serial killers on the computer's large, holographic screen. "There. Now can you please tell me what's going on."  Gregory ignored him and leaned in closer to the screen. What immediantly got his attention was that none of the killer's had a single picture that identified them.

        "Blow up the file on this guy."  Gregory said, pointing to a killer known as the Lightshow Monster.  Mickey enlarged the file, Gregory looking over his shoulder.  The Lightshow Monster apparently killed his victims near concerts located around Northern Haven. Everytime he struck the concert's laser light show would activate, hence his name. "The killings stopped when the concert moved to South Haven." Gregory muttered, more to himself than to anyone else.

       Mickey, not catching this, responded. "Yeah, they never caught the guy who did it though."

       Gregory pointed to another file, telling Mickey to pull it up. He did and Gregory look at this killer's file. "It's the same thing." He muttered. His eye's started to light up as an idea was forming in his head. Gregory had Mickey pull up another file. Then another, and another. "They're all the same."

       "What are talking about?" Mickey asked, not understanding what Gregory was doing.

       "What do you notice about all these profiles?"

       Mickey looked at each of the files, scrunching his brows together as he tried to see what Gregory was getting at. "I don't know man. They're all sick b******s?"

       "They all stopped." 

       Mickey gave Gregory a confused look. "What?"

       Gregory pointed at the screen full of profiles. "They all stopped killing. All of them, from Six Way to the Lightshow Monster, stopped killing at one point without even a taunt to the police or a last message before stopping. No serial killer has ever cut themselves off like that so quickly. All of them, except this one." Gregory pointed to the file of the P.I. Killer. "He's the only one that has ever killed again after a sudden stop."

       "Then maybe you're wrong about this guy then?"

       "Or maybe something happened that forced him to kill again."

       "Somebody ticked this guy off so much that he was forced to kill again? Who in their right mind would want to do that?"

       "Maybe Munir was that somebody." Gregory said quietly, the gears turning in his head. "I have to go look into something. Remember, this is between us." Mickey nodded and started to clear the screen. Gregory stepped out of the room and walked down a hallway towards the front doors of the department. Suddenly his phone started ringing.  He looked down to see who was calling and was surprised to see that it was Dolton Fax.  He immediantly answered the call.

       "Hello?"

       "Yes, Hello. Is this Detective Tanaka?" Dolton voice sounded extremely nervous.

       "Yes, this is. Is this Dolton Fax?"

       "Professor Dolton Fax and yes this is he. I need to speak to you immediantly detective. There's something that you need to know."

       "Alright, are you still at the university? I'll meet you there."

       "No! They're watching me now, it's too risky.  Meet me at the Westside Pier near the old amusement park around 8. Come alone."

       "Dolton, wait! Whose watching you? Dolton? Dolton!" It was too late, Dolton had already hung up. Gregory grinded his teeth in frustration at the situation. He looked at his watch and saw that it was already 4:07. Gregory thought about what his next move would be and then ran off to find Samuel.

 

 

5:21 P.M.

Dolton's Office

First floor of the university

 

       "Mr. Fax, I'm leaving now." Rachel, Dolton's secretary, said as she poked her head into his office.

       "Alright Rachel. Be safe."  Dolton said, not looking up from the student test he was examining on his desk.

       "See you tomorrow." Rachel said. Dolton listened as she opened the door to the hallway and then closed it.  He then hastily swept all the tests aside and then pulled out a thin file and opened it up.  Inside was a picture of the face of what appeared to be a dead 14 year old boy attached to a few pieces of paper. On the papers were a small portion of data that Dolton knew people would, and already have, kill for.  He took the papers out and put them into the shredder under his desk.  He then took out a key from his pocket and unlocked a drawer from his desk to open it up.  Inside was a small flashdrive that he took out and put into his pocket.

       Dolton then closed the drawer and got up to grab his coat when something that sounded like a small thump caught his attention. It sounded like it had come from the outside of Dolton's office.  "Rachel is that you?" Dolton called out but received no answer.  He opened the door to the waiting room outside of his office. It was dark and Dolton could barely see a thing as there were no windows for light to get through. Must have been my imagination. Dolton clung to this thought, afraid of other possibilities. Even as he tried to convince himself of this thought, Dolton continued to slowly seach the room.  As he scanned the room, he did not see a shadow moved along the ceiling of the room and into his office.  Dolton shrugged and gave up his search.  He then turned off his office light and locked it.  He then left his office, his feet quickening their pace.  His shoes echoed of the hallway walls as he walked back to his car.

       Back at his office the shadow floated to the ground to take the form a person, who then proceeded to rifle through the shredder's bin, which conveniently didn't have many papers as Dolton's secretary had recently emptied it.  The figure finally collected the pieces of paper that Dolton had just shredded and moved over to one of the windows in Dolton's office and unlocked it. They climbed out through the window and disappeared from view.



© 2011 Darksummerswind


Author's Note

Darksummerswind
I decided to include three different views to compensate for the time skips and to move the story along. I'm not sure if a lab technician is right for the computer work but it seems to be. If I'm wrong please correct me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
Added on August 26, 2011
Last Updated on September 5, 2011
Tags: Science, Kidnapping, Mystery, Stood up


Author

Darksummerswind
Darksummerswind

Eternal Limbo, PA



About
I'm a writer who delves into all genres but particularly fantasy and science fiction, with a dabble of urban fantasy here and there. more..

Writing