Green Space

Green Space

A Story by DaughterNature
"

Please respect and appreciate the last vestiges of the environment!

"

          Every day I see green. Bright lime green, brown-green, yellow-green, blue-green; but all of them somehow harsh and artificial. I see green every day, but I had never experienced green. After twenty years of false green I wanted something else, a genuine green like in the old stories I read out of big dusty books in the back of the library. I wanted to experience the warm green of sun filtered down through the leaves of a tall tree (I found a picture in one of the books once), or the strange dull green of lichen on a rock (which is something like spotty cement, or so I gathered), or the live bright green of grass (which I figured out is some sort of organic ground covering).

            And then, one day long after my first discovery of the idea of genuine green, as I walked down the stairs from my apartment building to the sidewalk, I saw it. In an out-of-the-way crack in the cement stairs hid a small spot of fuzz. Green fuzz. I examined it closely for a moment and sprinted to the library.

            My mind buzzed while I searched for the botany book on the decrepit back shelves. My first real green, perhaps the last genuine green in the whole world. In the botany book I found a small, dark green, fuzzy plant: moss. Moss. I savored the word all the way home. Moss. Up the stairs. Moss. Into my apartment. Moss. I grabbed the novel I was currently reading, jumped back down the stairs, and sat on the cement in the sun to read. I stroked the moss with a single finger as I read.

            Moss. Suddenly I could see the greens of the forests and fields in the old novel better than ever before. My moss was a pristine green, something sacred, a window to the past. I read next to my moss all afternoon, and again the next day. Could it have been my imagination that the air felt cooler and cleaner when I sat there, the city smog hanging just overhead, but with my moss next to me?

            On the third day, I heard a strange rumbling on the street. I looked out my window. Much to my dismay, I spied one of the city’s trucks dousing my building’s steps with some sort of chemical spray. When the truck finally left, I rushed down to the stairs and scrutinized every cranny of the concrete, but my moss was nowhere to be found. I cried then because my green space, the last green space in the world, was gone.

© 2015 DaughterNature


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wonderful. Great fixation on green without feeling repetitive. "long after my first discovery" I would recommend cutting for clarity and simplicity. Consider adding a line about how the pictures in books of plants hinted at genuine green but the chemical inks lacked something.
Overall an enjoyable read :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

DaughterNature

7 Years Ago

Thanks! Glad you liked it :)
This was actually one of my earliest pieces (from way back in hi.. read more



Reviews

Wonderful. Great fixation on green without feeling repetitive. "long after my first discovery" I would recommend cutting for clarity and simplicity. Consider adding a line about how the pictures in books of plants hinted at genuine green but the chemical inks lacked something.
Overall an enjoyable read :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

DaughterNature

7 Years Ago

Thanks! Glad you liked it :)
This was actually one of my earliest pieces (from way back in hi.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

271 Views
1 Review
Added on November 8, 2013
Last Updated on November 2, 2015
Tags: green, nature, moss, dystopia

Author

DaughterNature
DaughterNature

Chicago, IL



About
I know I'll always be learning, but ready and willing to read and review! I have been writing for about 14 years, and I have had one short story published in a magazine. I love experimenting with diff.. more..

Writing