Story One - The Telas Threat - Act Two - Under Construction

Story One - The Telas Threat - Act Two - Under Construction

A Story by David Edgeworth
"

This is a continuation piece from http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/DavidEdgeworth/1224416/ and picks the story up at the point where Bernard is about to begin his diversion as Miles rescues Selena

"

As ordered I parked my car just past a sign post that indicated Mossbridge was ten minutes away and contacted Bernard.

He couldn’t hang up quick enough to get started but the general gist of the plan was as follows: Bernard was logged into the security check mainframe so he could exploit all measures that were installed in the Telas building to apprehend intruders and seeing as this was a government building, these measures ranged from tear gas in the safes to acidic sprinklers in the hallways. His plan was to not only lure the goons guarding Selena but the police as well. That way, Miss Fielding could begin to squirm.

It seemed like whatever combination of deterrents Bernard chose to use was working as no less than seven trucks flew out of Mossbridge in all directions and each truck had six men in them. It was probably the most basic tactic in the world to leave some to guard Selena though, so by no means was I in the clear just yet.

The only thing that worried me was how long this distraction would keep them away for as during our investigations neither I nor Bernard could find out exactly what building Selena was being held in. Resulting in me having to find the building where the CCTV cameras were monitored which was admittedly far easier due to there being only one building in the entire compound with the word “SECURITY” painted on its walls.

The Security building had two floors. The ground floor acted as the server room and a store for all data backed up onto magnetic tape from the security camera’s that were on the second floor and covered by a guard. The temptation was to just use the M9 and get it over with but there was no way of bringing myself to doing such a task despite the fact he would most likely mow me down with the assault rifle he was carrying without batting an eyelid. Instead my hand automatically reached for the can of beer that was sitting on a desk to throw it down the stairs, causing a noise which caused the guard to turn round and investigate. Managing to get behind him and as he came out of the door, the M9 ultimately did come out to give him a swift blow to the back of the head causing him to crash down the stairs. Perhaps it was more brutal than simply shooting the man, but at least this way he lived to tell the tale in a way that forced him to simply make up a name. Using a few rolls of magnetic tape, the guard was restrained and gagged in case he woke up. Now the search for Selena really began.

Whilst panning each security camera in desperation, another call from Bernard came through who was clearly having too much fun with what he was doing. However the topic at hand was very serious and confirmed any suspicions either of us had concerning Telas, who had a whole floor dedicated to the modification of hard narcotics, a revelation made by Bernard when he was panning each of Telas’ security cameras.

After a good ten minutes of searching every single room, Selena finally appeared on screen, tied up with her ankles trapped in two vices and a man pacing around the table that she was lying on, asking her questions and tightening the vices every time he didn’t like the answer. It was obvious from the screams that she was producing that time was no longer on my side and the “Tool Room” in the main construction block had to be found quickly. From the security building, the block was due west and the tool room was at the back of the building. As I pressed towards Selena, there were only three guards to take care of and plenty of crowbars to assist me. Once the three were locked in an equipment shed the screams coming from the tool room began to go from frequent to constant and were going from sickening to bloodcurdling. There was no more time to find the door leading into this room so the only option was to draw my M9 and leap through the window that the noises came from.

Somehow managing to land on my two feet, the M9 was very quickly pointed up against the man’s throat even though this man was the least of my concerns. Even though Selena had wriggled out of the binds trapping her hands, her ankles were clamped so tightly that she couldn’t function properly. This led me to order the man to loosen the grip of the vice’s which he did with surprisingly little resistance.

“Are you alright, Miss Harris?” The man had genuine concern in his voice but it didn’t stop my full body channeling all my energy into my left fist which swiftly landed on his jaw

“Does she look it?” An uncontrollable anger began to surface. It was too much, Selena was sweating, shaking, beginning to cry as she mustered up just enough energy to grip my hand for a brief moment.

“Listen, I couldn’t stop him, it’s not my fault” The man dropped to the floor and pleaded with me

“Stop him? I’m pretty sure on the security camera I saw you tighten those vices” I was preparing to land another punch when Selena threw herself on me and pleaded me not to.

“Please stop my darling; he really did do everything against his will. There was another man in this room pointing a gun at Ryan’s head. He only continued because he knew they would be watching.”

“Who was the man?” My whole body suddenly felt violently sick. No amount of apologies could change things so the best thing to do was let business be a distraction

“His name is Luther Grey; he’s one of Telas’ scientists.” There was an unwavering tone of regret in this man’s voice which I just couldn’t overlook

“And I bet he’s the same scientist involved in the DT-5 Case” It was right here where everything began to click into place. Maria Fielding was a pawn; this man was the one behind everything. This whole plan is exclusively so that he can get a chance at freedom, no matter the cost.

After explaining to Selena about the investigation that Bernard and I performed earlier on this afternoon, it was time to profusely apologise to the man whom felt my fist on his jaw. His name was Ryan Grant and to make up to Selena he insisted that we escaped in his car that was parked at the other side of the complex

© 2013 David Edgeworth


Author's Note

David Edgeworth
If you feel that there are grammatical errors especially with comma's etc please let me know as I'm trying to learn through experience more than anything else. Also share your views about first person novels or just this one in particular. It doesn't really matter as all feedback (positive or negative) will be gratefully recieved.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
Added on August 19, 2013
Last Updated on August 19, 2013
Tags: Miles, Anderson, New, P.I, Series, Would, Love, Feedback

Author

David Edgeworth
David Edgeworth

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
I am seventeen years old from Scotland and aspiring to write a first person action series revolving around the life of fictional P.I, "Miles Anderson" more..

Writing