beLIEve

beLIEve

A Chapter by Christy Hauck
"

Guess who he is

"

It's so easy to know who Erica and Jess are. If there are any two supernatural beings in this plane of existence who bicker more then they do, please point them out to me. If there are any two supernatural beings who also do more work than those two, don't tell them. Erica is a Muse and Jess is a Guardian Angel. Normally Muse's and Guardian's get assigned to at least a dozen people and still have time off. Erica and Jess haven't had a day off for the past 41 and have been assigned to just one person. You probably know of him. I've slept with him four times.

"How the hell am I supposed to get him out of that monster of a suicide attempt you gave him? He's supposed to live for at least another 45 years and here you are throwing him ideas that might as well give Lucy--" I couldn't help but snigger when Jess said that. She must have been pissed, since she usually gave Lucy his proper name. The fact that she was calling him Lucy, the way I did, instead of Lucifer meant that I had been a bad influence on the angel; I liked that a lot. "-- time to set up a chair at his left hand side for him. Everyone already knows that Christopher is going to hell, but you don't have to send him packing with still half his lifetime to live!"

Erica, with her beautifully youthful glowing skin and long curly brown hair that ended halfway down her back looked up into the face of the pale and blonde Jess and whispered, "B***h."

I almost started applauding the two, but stopped myself in anticipation that fur would start flying.

"Erica! It has been three hours, you need to go check on your charge." Tash had stood up at her desk and was glaring down the hallway at the two women. She was glaring, which was something that sometimes looked cute on her cherb face, or in this case looked plain silly. I stuffed my fist in my mouth to prevent myself from bursting out laughing and shot a look over at Erica and Jess. Jess looked at her watch, gave a groan, and clapped her hands to disappear. Most angels could disappear without the use of some dramatic gesture, but Jess had only been an angel for half a century and was still learning the ropes. Erica had disappeared the same time as Jess, so I looked down the hallway at Tash.

"Hi."

A keyboard sailed towards me and landed a foot from my head to skid on the floor past me. "Don't you have your own things to be doing, w***e?" Tash was actually screaming. She didn't look cute or silly. She looked like any moment she would pull a flaming sword from midair and smite me. Strangely, this did not scare me. I'd been smited at least seven times in the last century. Smiting didn't stick with me very long. I just ended up talking to my dad for an hour before crawling out of a hole in the ground and walking back to work. The fact that angels couldn't kill me when they could kill full blooded demons really irked them for some reason.

"Hmmm, I could have some things to do." I tapped my chin and flashed Tash a half smirk. "Or I could stay here and continue to bug you." The half smirk turned into a full one, demon style. Tash moved out from behind her desk. "On second thoughts, since I don't want to be smited today, dads not talking to me, that kind of thing, you know, bye!" I vanished just as Tash reached me and swung her sword towards my neck. 

I appeared in Las Vegas, in a shadowed corner of the Luxor casino. Exactly where I wanted to be. Quickly thinking about how I wanted to look, I changed my image to be just above five feet with straight black hair to my shoulders with a green streak on the right that looked like it could have naturally grown in. I gave myself eyes that bodered between blue and purple with flecks of green. Thinking Latina to finish it off, my skin remained the same Turkish tan color that it was in my true form and my lips became pouty and breasts swelled to a size that could be hidden with a hoody or shown off in a tank top. I gave myself the broad shoulders of a swimmer and firm legs and thighs of a runner. Walking out of the corner as a group of people pasted by, I made a quick trip to a restroom to see what I made myself into. As I went into the women's restroom, a man walked out of the men's and his jaw dropped when he saw me. I hid a smile and almost turned around, knowing that I had gotten at least one man to want me. But still, I wanted to have a mirror to finish up with some make up and as long as there was no one else around, find a sleek out fit to wear. Five minutes later, I walked out of the restroom and looked around the casino. I didn't need a clock to tell me the time. Erica and Jess had popped out to be around here someplace because their charge was someone who only gave them three hours of rest a day since that was all he gave himself, if that. If he had just gotten up, it was no earlier than 4am.

Thinking it over, I found another shadowed corner and then popped up to the top floor of the Luxor. There was only one room on this entire floor. The only thing above it was the giantic light that topped the Luxor's pyramid. Below it was many different things going on. The casino, the rest of the hotel, the restuarants, the shops, everything was starting to wind down after the night, just as a certain man was waking up.

I relaxed myself and sensed that for an actual rare moment, he was completely alone in his room. Not thinking, I knocked on the door. The sound of someone moving sluggishly to the door made me smile. It opened and a pair of sad and sleepy brown eyes peered out at me. The door opened some more and I looked into the face of a man who knew what I was as well as I knew what he worshiped.

"Cassandra? Or are you going by Cassie, Sandra, Andi, or am I leaving something out?" New York accent's always made me stop and think for a few minutes before deciding I liked them, even if I had heard them many times before.

"Yeah, it's me. Are you going to invite me in, or do I have to make an appointment this time?" I leaned against the door and crossed my arms. "Hi, New York Greek."

"Hey back at you, Angelic Demon Greek." He let me into the room and shut the door quietly. I turned and looked at him. A smile curved up his lips as he held out a hand for my own. Following him to his bedroom while he stayed there, a genuine smile curved my own lips. Five times? I defintely got bragging rights for this one.



© 2009 Christy Hauck


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
Added on June 22, 2009


Author

Christy Hauck
Christy Hauck

Sun Prairie, WI



About
I tend to write Urban Fantasy, but that is because everytime I sit down to write anything but that, I always end up brainstorming some weird fictional thing that does not factor into the environment o.. more..

Writing