A Day of Nothing

A Day of Nothing

A Chapter by Christy Hauck
"

Still told from Gregory's POV, this is him going to work and looking up Wren's history.

"

There was only the slightest of a headache when Gregory woke the following morning. He showered slowly, still trying to figure out what to do about Cap... and how to keep Wren out of his life and mind while he needed to focus on picking up the notorious rapist. After a light breakfast, he went to work.

 

"Greg! How did it go last night? Wiz is being quiet about the events, so I'm guessing he either wants you to tell or nothing happened." Gregory's boss jumped on him as soon as he stepped through the doors to the police station.

"Good morning, Captain. Wiz may be sulking cause he didn't get the girl, but Cap didn't show up, so nothing to report." Gregory tried to escape so he could start looking into Wren's background, but the Captain wouldn't let him go so easily.

"Girl? Wiz always likes to go after the women, doesn't he. So I take it that she is probably at your place wondering what the hurricane was that hit her last night?"

"I do not think that is approriate to discuss at work, Captain. And no, she dropped me off last night and then went to her own home. She mentioned some things last night that made me want to look into her history. She's the neice of Gina Bell."

The Captain took a few steps back. "Wren? You ran into Wren? That poor girl, after all that happened to her at a young age. As a friend of her family, I would beg you to not look into what happened, but as your boss, I'm going to get all the information I have on her and send it over to ASAP. She's a fragile one..." He trailed off as he walked away. Greogry felt himself shaking. Wren wasn't fragile, she was just innocent.

 

Two hours later, Gregory felt a sob burst forth as he watched the footage for the fifth time.

"We have just come across the scene of the accident." The camera was shaking as some faceless voice spoke in a horrified whisper. The vision was one that could only be described as the gate to hell. Three cars were piled upon each other, two in the form of a head on collusion that must have spun the vehicles since the third one was T-boned againist them. Fires were all around and the flickering flames were the only movement in the cameras view. "It appears that in the sudden storm, one car hydroplaned and hit the other, causing the vehicles to spin and be hit by the third. As the first on the scene, we are assuming that there no survivors. There has been no movement from any of the vehicles so I repeat, we are assuming that there are no survivors." The camera creeped closer to the cars and took a turn looking into the front and back seats of the first two, all passengers in both cars were dead. Coming to the third car, the driver and shotgun passenger had both their necks broken and sightless eyes seemed to plead with the camera. As the camera moved to the back seat, Gregory swallowed hard. In the back it looked as if there were only two passengers, who had gripped each other tightly. They looked like nothing but a bloody mess, with almost no way to tell the difference between them or even figure out where one body began and the other ended. The camera moved away and sirens could be heard in the distance. "The ambulance is pulling up now..." A few minutes passed as the the medics went around to each car and determined that every one was dead. An hour later of footage passed before they were able to start pulling the bodies out. Wren's screams filled the air as a medic pulled one of her brother's off of her. She looked tormented and Gregory could see the insanity pour out of her eyes as she saw the bodies of her family around her. The camera shut off as she turned to look at it.

"See." A voice behind Gregory whispered. "Fragile. This was taken five years ago. She just got out of Farkie's last year. Been living with Ms. Gina ever since." Gregory turned and saw the Captain. Their eyes met. "Alright, Harol, back to work. You know everything you need to know about the crazy petite b***h. Focus on bringing in Cap now."



© 2010 Christy Hauck


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on July 3, 2010
Last Updated on July 4, 2010


Author

Christy Hauck
Christy Hauck

Sun Prairie, WI



About
I tend to write Urban Fantasy, but that is because everytime I sit down to write anything but that, I always end up brainstorming some weird fictional thing that does not factor into the environment o.. more..

Writing