Come to Light

Come to Light

A Chapter by Dayna Clarke
"

An addition to the story of Tristan Redd, in which we find out what being a Knight includes.

"
"Redd!" Captain Luke bellows out, and I walk over with perfect posture. The armour helps keep me standing straight, which makes me look both tall and intimidating. "Lieutenant Redd, I've located a rogue mage group in the area."
"How many, sir?" I ask, groups of mages can be 3 or 300 " and they don't like arrests very much. My captain sighs, and shakes his head. He doesn't know, which is always an initial worry. "Well then, Sir, when do we leave, and how many of us are going?"
"Six; me, you, and four officers," The frown on his face is not easily masked, this is what we call a suicide mission. If we all walk home in one piece, unharmed or otherwise, it would be a miracle. It's unlikely… I nod and go to the Tower's Hall of Leto to pray.
Few mages come here. Praying to the god who cursed you equates to accepting this 'gift' as a burden. The room, two columns of pews either side of the aisle, has a few Knights and the cleric, Bianca. I need to talk to her, but she's preoccupied with talking to what appears to be the only mage in the room. A young female, dressed in red robes, stands beside Cleric Bianca. She glances to me quickly and her complexion turns a shade or two more pink. I wonder who she is for a moment, but I am called forth by Bianca before I get the opportunity to ponder further.
I go up the few steps towards the lectern they stand by, and bow to them both. Not many Knights bow to mages, but if I don't at this moment in time I'll get nagged by the grey-haired cleric. Her dark blue dress contrasts from the golden sun symbol on her chest. I smile to her, too.
"Lieutenant, you look troubled," She frowns, seeing past the façade, "Is it a mission bringing you worry, dear?"
"Mage group, suspected maleficarum as far as I can tell from Captain Luke's reaction," I reveal to her, "It's not going to be easy; any consoling words, Mother Bianca?"
"Excuse me," the young mage interjects with shame, "But what is the difference between a mage and a maleficarum?" 
"Maleficarum is plural for maleficar, Mage. Maleficarum are mages, but more dangerous " practicing in the forbidden arts, such as shape-shifting and necromancy as well as things most mages can perform. In short, a malificar is far more dangerous than a mage." I explain, but the poor girl looks faint. I guide her to a step and she sits down on the small staircase. "I'd assume a mage would know the difference,"
"I… I think of it as a curse, Sir," she sighs, "I don't care to learn of curses I am stricken with. Perhaps I shouldn't have asked you at all."
Her hair is an odd auburn shade, her eyes are hazel. I cough, and return to the Cleric, leaving the mage-girl alone.
"Be strong," she says and puts her pale hand onto my shoulder, "Fear not, for Leto's light will forever guide you. If you do fall, be it in bravery, and follow Leto's light into the next world."
I bow, and walk back through the pitiful excuse for a Hall of Leto. The mage-girl is still looking awfully ill, but it doesn't matter. She's just another mage to me. Captain Luke is in the large courtyard of the Tower, a few mages are walking from the main part of the Tower " with the libraries and beds " to the Halls of Leto on the other side of the courtyard. A third, gated, section is to the north of the courtyard " the Knights quarters.
The Captain is talking to the officers we are to fight alongside. With a sigh, he decides it's time we depart. I try not to fear missions like this now, but maleficarum are wicked beings. Leto, guide us in our time of need. Following my captain, I leave the safety of the Tower, and out into the city of Vallen to find, and probably kill, a group of rogue mages. Damn, this is beginning to sound reckless to me!


© 2012 Dayna Clarke


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Dayna Clarke
I want you to judge my work, harsh but true.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
Added on November 11, 2012
Last Updated on November 11, 2012
Tags: knights, magic, mages, oppression, fantasy


Author

Dayna Clarke
Dayna Clarke

London, Enfield, United Kingdom



About
I write poetry, stories, songs and the occasional random paragraph that connects to nothing. more..

Writing
Maleficarum Maleficarum

A Chapter by Dayna Clarke