Artist to Look Out For

Artist to Look Out For

A Story by Kim Possible
"

It' more an article.

"
Here is an artist, emphasis on artist, who juggles originality, storytelling, and clever wording with ease and has fun doing it.

                Born in Vero Beach, Florida, Priscilla Renea first got her start on Youtube setting up shop anywhere she could stash a camera. Placing herself and her acoustic guitar directly in front, she’d launch into melodious tales of love, heartbreak, and life’s general curveballs.  She got 231,041 hits when singing “I Fell in Love.” And it’s no wonder when crooning out lines like, “Sometimes you be trippin’/I love to travel so I pack my bags and trip with you.” Her account on heartbreak “Cry” got up to 163,570 hits as she wailed about her guy’s failed attempts to win her back despite the fact that she still loved him.

                After 30,000 subscriptions on Youtube, she than began to participate on MTV’s Say What? Karaoke. Capitol Records took notice of this along with her Youtube postings. Subsequently, she was signed in 2009 and released an album, Jukebox, in December of the same year. Unfortunately, it sold a mere 5,000 copies worldwide but was, nonetheless, critically acclaimed and got to #23 on <span>Billboard Heatseekers</span> album charts. Jukebox went virtually overlooked but was an overall well put together album notwithstanding the one flaw “Bacon ‘N’ Eggs.

                10 for 11 isn’t bad. With songs like “Pretty Girl” that promote self-confidence, which is so sorely missed among young women; “Baby Please” where she humbles herself and admits her yearning of a particular young man. On “Rockabye Baby”, though peppy, is haunted and shadowed with Renee’s warnings to abstain from premature sex or pay the consequences. “Mr.Workerbee” is, perhaps, the most cleverly written song on the album with slick lines that bellow, “Hey, Mr.Workerbee/I see ya’ workin’/But do you often forget that you’ve got a queen at home?” She even goes on to serenade us beautifully in “Stonegarden” where she sings of the lost of a love and not being able to move on.

                The 22 year old, phenom, however unnoticed, is definitely someone to watch out for. It’s always difficult to find music the whole family can listen to but you’ll certainly fin a keeper in Renea. Her music promises dance, vocals, and morals to uplift the spirit without the usual resort to swearing.

© 2010 Kim Possible


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on October 4, 2010
Last Updated on October 4, 2010

Author

Kim Possible
Kim Possible

Chicago, IL



About
What defines me is not what I can tell you, but the things I can't. Know the things I cannot tell, and you'll find you know me more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Kim Possible