The Shedding

The Shedding

A Story by DeanoSohno
"

A short extract if you will of the emotion the feeling and some of what its like to go through a physical 'change' the new feeling. something quick as i want to get into writing.

"

The shedding " short extract.


It starts, it always starts. Ever since, well I don’t remember the first time anymore it seems like a lifetime ago. It always begins the same a warm tingling feeling on the backs of my hands that builds up to a sharp jabbing pain, it reminds me of being injected by a needle but really it feels nothing like that at all. In my ears a strong ringing begins to deafen the inside of my head a ringing that turns into a loud thumping marching band across the back of my skull the pain wastes no time in shooting up my arm like thousands of tiny rabbits trying to escaped the hunters gun.  The pain racing faster and faster up and down my arms until an explosion of heat and pain hits my shoulders, I guess the shot connected. The thumping in my ears losing the battle to the sound of skin tearing its way down my shoulder warmth increasing as pain subsides, only briefly. Once the tearing skin reaches my knuckles they contort, snap and lose their normal shape being replaced by something unfamiliar, no, not unfamiliar anymore I have seen them to many times now more times than I can count. New fingers and nails greet me a distraction as the pain reaches my elbows I clench my newly formed fingers into a curl and brace as the bones in my arm follow suit a crack and reform leaving behind arms soft but strangely firm, they feel strong but I am currently too weak to command them. I let my breath leave my body for the first time since I felt it start. I take a deep breath it’s not over its only just begun.


I know what’s coming, I know what’s next , I stifle a whimper as I feel the muscles in my legs tense  my new arms are no comfort to my shifting body alien to the touch there is no reaction from my legs so I gave up with trying a long time ago I lay back trying to relax as much as possible, impossible, I feel the pulse slap of pain hit my thighs and increasing, slap, slap, slap continuous never ending, when will it, I don’t think it ever ends the pain implodes my muscles fidget as the bones in my upper and lower begin to dance, cooking popcorn in the microwave, my eye lids are closed tight trying to imagine anything that may make the sheer agony of my cooking legs. Sun, no, I prefer the cool calming feel of the moonlight on my face not the hot sticky feeling of the sound beating me. I jerk up as my legs now fully formed skin shed loose the army of new alien body parts slowly joining together ready to invade the last bits of me they don’t control compared to my legs my feet barely cause a whimper I let them form with almost a smile on my face thankful after the pain of popcorn still causing throbs in my legs.


I learn forward my spine begins to take shape bringing me back to the reality that my body still hadn't finished betraying me. The first sledgehammer shot hits, smash I open my mouth to cry out but bite my lip until I can taste the coppery taste of blood fill my mouth. Second hammer shot this time I stumble forward gripping tight to the table in front of me, my table or is it my table? All my mind can think about is pain, pain and the third shot.  I can feel the fear of my own body tremble as the third shot hits and I crumble no longer able to hold myself up and grip my chest tight I feel it shatter and the sound of pounding increase and then decrease covered by cracking bone. The tearing begins on my back but by now I am accustomed to the pain that it seems so friendly with as bits of my old skin fall around me leaves falling off the great oak as they die, as I die. I reach up and grab the table above me and pull straining my burning muscles the screams reaching my ears that they are not ready, I ignored them and pull harder pulling self up and stare at the reflective ice cold face staring back at me as my jaw snaps and drip with blood that comes with their transformation my vision focus’s just as my eyes turn deep blue. I am breathing hard and a new world of sensations hit my nose, odd, strange but familiar yes all too familiar now.


I stand up straight, raising my arms and twitching my legs a whole new control, more power or less power?  Even now I am still surprised how small I look. All that pain and suffering all that effort my body puts into becoming, this thing. I noticed streams of wetness now trickle slowly down my face, is it my face? I guess it is. I take a step back so that the reflection of me grows. I wave my hand at myself, naked and cold in a room that I believe is mine. I smile a little and lean forward looking closer into myself. 


I don’t know the first time I shed but now staring back at myself in the mirror as the sun light from the window behind me lighting the dank small room I utter a word just one. “Human.”

© 2014 DeanoSohno


Author's Note

DeanoSohno
Just any helpful comments feedback, good points if you think there is any, bad points very welcome as that is how you learn and evolve!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
Added on January 21, 2014
Last Updated on January 21, 2014
Tags: Supernatural, Emotion, Feeling, Sci-Fi, werewolf

Author

DeanoSohno
DeanoSohno

london, kent, United Kingdom



About
I am a type of person who when watching or reading likes to be seeing something not directly related to real life, the fictional side, what ones imagination can create, think up. non-fiction is enjoya.. more..

Writing
Falling Falling

A Poem by DeanoSohno