The Angels of Death. Chapter 1

The Angels of Death. Chapter 1

A Story by DeanoSohno
"

First chapter. its abit shaky i know so any advice, criticism, fire away im here to take what i get :)

"

Chapter 1

“So if opposite side of a right angled triangle is 11 and the adjacent is 9 what is the….”

“The answer is 14.21 to two decimal places”

 “Well yes it is well done Jack you’re always full of surprises”

Surprises, what a joke if they knew id already done this grade twice already they wouldn’t be praising me but instead teasing me and if they knew the real reason that I’m here they wouldn’t be so hasty as to judge they would be afraid, and they would be afraid because mortals are scared of the unknown and anything or anyone who’s different they will be scared of, and that is the main element to bullying. If a bully sees a kid who is maybe smarter than him or the rest of the sheep in his herd then that kid will become a target, or maybe a kid from a different ethnicity these are all factors to a bully’s choice of there victim. If you think about it this world without different people of all races would be a very dull and boring place. Mortals make up this world they bring life to it and without them this world wouldn’t be the same. I may walk among the mortals but I’m no longer one of them, I am an Angel of Death, we are emotionless beings who protect those with no power to fight what we fight, the creatures of the night. We can change my age as freely as someone choosing a music track to listen to, this is because situations call for different undercover work meaning we will have to blend in with any age group, We have a stronger resistance to injury, we do not get injured as easy as mortals do, also my physical elements have been enhanced I can run faster, jump higher and lift more than anyone in my school. My stamina is also increased meaning in chases I can last longer and lastly my reflexes and reactions are fine tuned and no one in the area comes close to them. When I’m on a mission after the unholy who could hurt the mortals that walk this town, we angles suit up with holy armour if we choose it can be called upon when needed but it often not and a holy sword which is as powerful as a broad sword but as light as a short maybe even lighter the length varies depending on the user. We all have personally items of clothing that we hide our armour and weapons in; it could be a jacket a hat or even a ring. Mine is a hooded cape that when flowing in the wind looks like something out of a cartoon show but hey I think its cool. Out of our backs we can call upon wings, black wings it is what signifies us as the Angels of Death. A sword isn’t the only weapon we have at our disposal we have a personalised second weapon of our own choosing, mine choice was double daggers. Small, quick and deadly just how I like it. We have other ways of defeating an enemy. We have chants. Chants are like spells we chant words that we are taught in training and using the holy energy within us create the attack or defence that the chant calls upon. At this moment I being a squire I only know two defensive and two assault chants. You see there is a hierarchy within the organisation you have recruits; this is the first stage after you have decided to become an angel. Then you become a squire, this is the stage I’m at they teach u basic spells and all forms of combat then they send you out for the first time alone on missions, then you have apprentice this is when you are taken under the wing of a general who is responsible for your training in advanced chants and combat, then of course general you reach this stage after you have proven worthy of mastering chants are handling any threat posed towards you it’s a very high rank and you are well respected as a general. Above Generals is the council of archangels these angles are chosen as the leaders of the organisation if you like they are bestowed with God like status and wield weapons forged by God himself, the ability may not be much better than the generals below them but they are chosen because of ultimate holy acts and strategic planning in battle, then you have the high archangel, Excalibur, he is the overall leader of the archangels and this status is chosen by God himself, this angel is the only one with the ability to turn passing mortals into angels and he wields the greatest weapon out of all the archangels. I’ve only met him that once and never seen another archangel since. I am hoping to achieve the rank of general someday soon but first I must find a general who will become my master and they are hard to find as you must show a lot potential for them to even consider you and what with this area being empty of the unholy over the past few months it doesn’t look like I’m going to be showing my potential anytime soon. The school bell rang class dismissed.

 

On the way home, walking down the street on my own just like every day, lost in my thoughts of what I might come across tonight, it could be werewolves, a Banshee, one of the many different Demons that roam the world, vampires, oddly thinking about all the possibilities excited me I found a thrill in fighting I am good at it and in life I was good at nothing no sports or even many subjects I was a nobody and now in the shadows I was a somebody whether they knew it or not. While I was lost in my thoughts I never noticed the people walking towards me and I guess they didn’t either because next thing I knew I was stumbling backwards and a body was falling to the floor in front of me, once my bearings were back I quickly helped the person up

“I’m so sorry…I didn’t see you” the reply came back in a soft soothing voice

“Its fine don’t worry I didn’t see you either” she bent down to pick up the school books I had knocked out of her hands

“Here let me help you with that”

“Thank you very much…hey wait I know you! Your in my classes at school, you always sit at the back, never talk and randomly answer questions.”

“Yeah….that sure sounds like me...” I replied with a slight snigger and hint of embarrassment”

“You know I’ve never noticed how cute you are; maybe I better start paying attention more in class”

“Thanks I guess I don’t make it to easy to be noticed” now I knew I was embarrassed but there was something in her eyes I just couldn’t look away”

“You know maybe sometime we shou…” she was cut off by her friends who had slightly moved past me,

“Come on! We haven’t got all day we need to get to the park before all the pre-school children get there!”

“Alright I’m coming! Jeez…sorry got to go maybe I’ll see you around sometime” she smiled as she jogged past me, I turned and watched her walk away just something, there was something about her that had my attention but what? This I did not know and once she appeared to have disappeared into the distance I turned and continued my stroll of loneliness back to the house I was staying at.

 

Home sweet home, after my encounter with the girl earlier, I now took a look at my surroundings the house was simple, two floors, 2 bedrooms upstairs, one was a room with just a bed and wardrobe in it, us Angels don’t sleep often but after a battle sleeping helps to recover quicker as our bodies enter a sort of hibernation, the other was what I call the mission room, it was my link to the powers above if anything big was going down they used this room to inform me of it, It is also used as a training room where I hone my chants and fighting skills on test dummies and sometimes the wall if I’m in a crazy mood. On the bottom floor there was simply the kitchen, bathroom and lounge or living room area which only held a coach and bookshelf for my chant books that I was allowed to learn from at this stage, the kitchen was basic, stove, microwave, fridge, freezer, Angels don’t need to eat or drink or use the toilet but I often just eat because living on earth its kind of a habit. I collapsed on the coach picked up a chant book, ‘basic chants’, id read this book three times the chants I needed I knew but still with at this moment nothing better to do, I began turning the pages after the first few my mind started to wander back to the girl from earlier, her face , her nose quite small and curved, her big eyes that are the colour of the ocean, the lips so smooth and red from the lipstick used to decorate the face, the shimmering long brownie, blonde hair that went about halfway down her back, the soft voice.. , I shook my head, what was I doing I shouldn’t be thinking of a mortal in the way I was I have been trained to lose all emotion it helps when faced with tough decisions yet here this girl was overpowering all my training. I had to get out I couldn’t stay in anymore , so I decided id go on a evening patrol as it was getting to about four thirtyish. Wow time had flown.

 

The sun was still high in the sky as I slowly walked along the pavement that lead to town; my house was situated on the outskirts of town, easier meant less interest from people from school. I knew it was early a bit too early for any trouble but being in the air helped and that girl was finally out of my head. As I reached the town it was strangely quite empty tonight only the few odd people strolling from shops along the high street, I didn’t like the strange feeling I had, something didn’t feel right, something was out of place, out of the corner of my eye I saw a figure move silently around the corner my quick eyes managed to catch what it was wearing a big coat, it was the middle of summer who would be wearing a coat that big? Following my suspicions I started after the figure I followed it up the row of shops until it reached the end and turned right, the chill in the air confirmed my suspicions of something being wrong, but still the roads were oddly silent almost like the people of town had a six sense and knew that today would be trouble if they went into town, hey I don’t mind just makes my job easier. I reached the corner peered round to find…. nothing I jogged forward, now I knew something was up no normal person just disappears. I ran my hands through my hair trying to figure out my next move , I heard voices coming from my right I took a peek over the bushes now I realised where I was , I was at the park and unbelievably there in the park stood the four people who I had inevitably bumped into earlier, maybe my running into them was a sign or an omen cause now all my senses were going crazy, these people were in danger and it was my job to protect them great just my luck , I would have to be extra careful I really didn’t need to be discovered by 4 people in my class at school.

 

I had been sitting there for an hour in the bushes watching these four kids mess about in the park, if anyone found me now I would surely be tried for stalking, but it was necessary my instincts are never wrong, it was getting dark now soon they would be leaving and my problems would start if they split up it would be hard to tell which was the one in danger leaving me with a dangerous decision if I choose wrong someone may die, I really had to trust my instincts if it came down to that. Sure  enough about five minutes later my fears were confirmed two went off in one direction one another and the forth in a third direction , well least it was only out of three now, one of the girls who had decided to take the lonely dim lit walk home was the girl I knocked over earlier almost without thinking I followed her, was emotions leading me down the wrong path, or was my instincts working automatically, a life was in my hands and I could have just sentenced it to death by moving without thinking but I decided it was my instincts and that I would have to accept the consequences if I was wrong.     

 

My heart was racing if it was put with other hearts in a race it would defiantly be the odds on favourite to take first place, id been following her for almost fifteen minutes more and more I felt that I had made the wrong choice back at the park and right now there was a girl that would never be found or maybe even two, even with this doubt I continued without hesitation it was to late to turn back now. From behind she looked like the typical girl quite tall at about five-eight, long brownie, blonde hair, and slim figure, she was wearing a jean style jacket over a sleeveless red top, I knew this from the encounter earlier where her jacket fell from her shoulders, on the top it said, ‘you’ve walked with the devil now why not try walking with me’ with a blonde girl with horns underneath. On her legs a black loose skirt went about halfway down underneath covering her long skinny legs were black leggings, on her feet simply black plimsolls with little pink hearts on the sides. I had almost giving up hope after another 10 minutes had past, following was not easy but I was using the roofs luckily this small town of Gilridge had a lot of buildings close together, this helped when having to stalk a potential victim hence why I am doing it right now. Suddenly out of the corner of my eye a shadow moved it was to the right of the mortal in-between the buildings, instantly I moved my vision forward scouting for potential points where the creature could catch its unknowing prey, up ahead the road curves to the left meaning she would have to follow the road round meaning the creature was on the wrong side, I leapt to the other side of the road, front flipping in mid-air for more propulsion making a soft and silent landing, silence one of the first things we were taught at the Angel training camp silence is always key to any operation as the mortals can never know of our existence one of the few important rules that are set by the high arch-angels led by Excalibur. Now more quickly I drifted forwards, my plan was to get ahead of the mortal in hope of being able to look back at her to watch for the creature of the night to attack. With swift movements and quick feet I was now ahead of the girl slowing down as to keep her in clear sight I now took a close look at her front she still looked like a typical girl but there was something different her hair draped over both shoulders, the chest suitable comparison to her age and what most boys would certainly take time to drool over, quite simple features as well, nose small and compact, mouth well positioned roughly in the middle of the distance between the bottom of the nose and her chin which was petite and sweet, smooth skin, and eyebrows well trimmed and eyelashes tuned up with make up or what ever it is girls use these days, her ears where hidden behind her silky strands of perfection, she certainly was beautiful but nothing was special about her why was I acting this way when I saw her? Then I looked into her eyes, it was like the whole world had stopped those light blue eyes I was absorbed into her I was so entranced that when she made a turn to cross the road I was so surprised that I nearly fell of the top of the building that I was presently moving across, what was she doing? There’s no way she lives in these buildings there all shops then after looking closer I noticed a little alley way in between two buildings close to her saying ‘Public Footpath’ I was a couple of buildings ahead of her and now I could smell it the smell of a beast a monster that walks this world in secret it was ready and the prey was walking into it hands, if it even had hands.

Immediately I leapt from the spot using a little holy energy to propel me landing in the centre of the next building I followed it up with the same move and ended up on the building looming over the alley. Crouching and spying over the edge, thankfully the creature hadn’t struck yet but I had noticed up ahead a cross roads was present you could turn left or right or just simply carry on thinking back the creature was to the right of me meaning in theory the creature had to be in the right alley pathway creeping forward until I was level with the mortal below. She must have been roughly five metres away from the crossroads when the creature stepped out, this was 2 metres before my prediction man things weren’t going well for me today. Dam I didn’t have time to form the holy armour instead I swung the cape used for storing my weapons over my back tied it round my neck and leapt down, the black cape I call the holy holster using harnessed holy energy you are literally able to use it to completely hide another item made of holy energy within it. In the space of a second the creature lunged, the girl screamed and I landed, perfectly, in front to parry the attack. The creature jumping back about three steps stopped and stood up right the coat covering what ever hideous skin lied under, it was wearing a balaclava and dark black shades and a brown cowboy style hat on his head, if there was fashion police this thing would at the top of there most wanted list. Most creatures want there presence to stay hidden as well, mainly because if the world knew then they would be hunted and that would not help there hunting, so they must hide there presence and kill in patterns that humans cannot figure out and others just don’t care knowing the humans wont believe any survivors of the attacks anyway.

 

Behind me the girl stumbled back and fell over landed hardly on her rear-end, man this girl spent a lot of time on the floor,  the creature appearing to be paralysed I took the chance to turn and say

“get up and go now!” her expression changed and even before she had shouted to watch out I had jumped left rebounded off the wall to land a right hook into the jaw of what ever I was hitting, the body flopped into the wall bouncing and landing face down in front on the girl that now had her mouth opened wide gawking at what I had just done,

“How the hell did you do that? And he was like double your size you smacked him across the alley like he was a puppet with his strings cut!”

“No time, we got to move and I mean now!” I grabbed her by the wrist yanked her feather light body to a standing position and started to sprint in the direction she was originally going in, the monster may be down but it was certainly not out strike one had been mine but there was a few more twists before it was game over.

 

We stopped after we exited the alley at the other end in front of me laid a field fenced off, it was the old swimming pool I could see the building from here, it closed down a couple of months ago now just sitting alone and withering mainly due to vandals and young teens who think it is cool smashing up a building, I would love to see how cool they are if the building could fight back. I turned to meet the gaze of the mortal girl who had been the centre of my attention since the end of school

“You need to go home right now and quickly”

“What’s the rush you flattened that guy in one punch!”

“its not safe to be walking down alley’s even in this dim light I suggest next time leave earlier or find a alternate route home”

“Wait a minute……Jack! Well, that’s twice today we have met in strange situations and twice I’ve fallen over while you’re around” she said this sarcastically obviously trying to get a reaction out of me.

“Please just go home!” I used a bit more force this time hoping it would scare her into listening, unfortunately with no success,

“Well I would but you kind of dragged me in the wrong direction...”

“What?”

“Yeah I needed the left back at the crossroad thingy” Damn my luck today just as I was about to reply and great force collided into my side forcing me through the air straight into the fence I regain my senses quickly it had returned and it now had me by the throat in a dented fence, I noticed quickly that my punch and removed the balaclava or had at least been the cause of its removal the shades were cracked but still worn over the eyes. The creature’s skin which was visible was pale blue with green lines moving down from the top of the head to meet just under the mouth on both cheeks I now knew what I was dealing with a creature than was know as Lagoon.

 

The Lagoon had the nickname the Bone Crunchers this was because they literally feed off human bone its what they crave in doing so they have adapted over the years to look more human it helps them blend in and pick prey easily, the one main feature that could be attached to a Lagoon other than all of them having the same colour faces but with different coloured lines, was there arms a Lagoons arms had no skin over the top just simply hardened muscles giving then ultimate strength in there arms, now realising this is the reason for the huge coat in the middle of august! The rest of there body and legs are extremely strong and all pale blue, the teeth of a Lagoon were simply just think of thousands of tiny chisels and you have the mouth of a Lagoon no nose, ears or eyebrows just two eyes with two blood red pupils sitting in them. They are powerful, bone thirsty and sure as hell showed no mercy.

 

This is where my training kicks in, strike the small gap in-between the ribs, due to them becoming slightly more human have now adapted some human vital points, causing grip to loosen followed by, because it was holding me with its right hand, grip its wrist tight with my right hand swing my other arm over the Lagoon’s arm while turning my body and shoulder following my left arm this results in the Lagoon’s arm to be forced down into a shoulder lock then proceed to break Lagoons shoulder by dropping my body weight to the left fast and hard. The steps were planned with quick and precise moments I reached the outcome I desired my weight fell and didn’t falter until I heard the shoulder pop and crack out of the socket only then did I twist 360 clockwise into a leg sweep causing the Lagoon to go flat on its back then I rolled backwards to a standing position into a stance with a two fisted guard in front of me, only then did the Lagoon scream out in pain because of the quick consecutive moves it had no time even for wailing. As it squirmed in pain while holding its shoulder only then did I remember that she was still in the area I ran to her grabbed her by the shoulders and said firmly

“Run home now!”

“Holy Jesus look at that dent in the fence and what you just did was absolutely awesome I mean it was like one two three and he was toast your absolutely..”

“STOP! And listen to me we can talk about this tomorrow at school and ill explain” I don’t think she had really seen what exactly I was fighting which for me was good less lies, “but please for now go home!” this time some sense hit her,

“I guess you right, you saved my life today you know I don’t know how ill ever thank you enough”

“go home be safe” I replied in a soft voice, then out of no where she planted a kiss on my cheek, it was warm and sent a tingly feeling down my back so soft and gentle it was like being touched by an Angel, no pun intended, and then it was over that one moment that felt like it could last forever and with another quick thank you she darted off faster than I thought she could back down the alley and out of my line of sight for the second time today. The distraction cost me because next thing I felt was a thump to the back of my head and my legs collapsing under me then colliding with the floor.

 

A foot speeding downwards towards me even after the heavy club like blow my reflexes still responded quickly with a forward roll to dodge the attempted devastating shot.

“Hey! Lagoon I know you can speak human so don’t give me that growling crap what’s your name least you could do before I knock those bone munches down your throat!” in a deep impacting voice with a slight echo the beast answered.

“Who do you think you are puny warrior, you think you can take on me, Tank the Lagoon of bone dust…I’ll make you eat your words punk,”

“big talk from a big guy, I’m sure you have heard of the saying the bigger they are the harder they fall,” and with the final word in a war like yell I charged with the mortal gone there was no need to hold back it was time for the creature to feel my true power.

 

I charged head on as I got close he swung his right hook; quickly I ducked connected with a body blow and dashed left out of range of a follow from his giant hammer like arms. I knew my speed was my advantage and it was frustrating him, the expression on his face now resembled an upside down smile and his eyes were bloodshot if I was still mortal I would have soiled my pants and been halfway to Africa by now. It was time to use the strongest weapon us Angels have at our disposal, chants. It was time to end it. Once again I charged this time leaping a fare distance in front of him using a somersault I flipped over twisting so that as I landed I would be facing the creatures back, as I landed I saw the elbow a second before it connected with my right cheek sending me flying into the fence that surrounded the old swimming pool, again leaving a dent. I shook off the impact immediately standing up I felt the blood trickle down from the edge of my mouth, it was warm and surprisingly comforting I licked it to stop any further advances in the bloods flow, I had underestimated the Lagoon he was smarter than I had first judged. Strike two was his.

 

Now I knew I would have to be more speedy and more clever he was no pushover in the muscle or the brain department, I must work out a strategy that he wouldn’t think I could pull off and then my brain kicked in I had been wearing my cape this whole time that stored an Angel of Death’s best friend their sword it is the first thing we are trained to use and I was top of the class, now it was on this time I’m going to charge and jump somersault over him again leading him to believe I’m not smart enough to know its not going to work but as I twist in the air I shall release the sword I call Toorima, (Phantom killer in Japanese, I liked the ring it had to it), and as I fall I will bring the Toorima directly down into his left shoulder, I dislocated his right earlier and even though he had snapped it back in it was the more venerable of the two leaving him with an even more of a disadvantage. Time to execute charge, flip release…as I sailed down in the wind blade gripped in two hands I felt gravity pull me towards the ground below I brought the blade over my shoulder and swung to get more force, Toorima wasn’t big in fact it was only about 60 centre-metres long and that’s where I got the name for my blade, it was designed for speed and quick silent kills hence the name ‘Phantom Killer’. As the blade penetrated the muscle on the shoulder of ‘Tank’, as he calls himself, the muscle ripped and the blood immediately smothered my beautifully clean Toorima and also my blue top with a white angel with its wings spread out, my blade hits bone and stops Tank screams, well it was more like a roar of pain but it wasn’t enough then out of desperation more than anything Tank swung his injured right at me in a 360 move, my reflexes out matched his slowed movement so leaning back far enough to escape his reach I raised Toorima again and once more with great force struck the exact same spot this time I didn’t relent forcing all my weight into the blade and then crack! The bone snapped and like a knife through butter Toorima cut through the remaining muscle underneath I leapt backwards leaving Tank screaming, as it now had turned from a roar into a scream, and his arm which now laid motionless in the pool of blood that now lay beneath the one armed Lagoon who’s now fearful eyes met mine in what seemed like a life or death staring contest that he knew he had just lost.

 

No time to stop, I instantly raced back in this time I forced my blade directly through him causing his lower legs buckle and he dropped onto his knees in a pool of his own blood. Now I was standing in front of him, he was about my height on his knees and I raised my right arm open hand and placed it directly in front of Tanks, no, the Lagoons face it didn’t deserve a name, then he attempted to attack with the injured right arm. Using Toorima I stuck my blade straight through its hand and into its own body rendering him almost completely useless then looked directly into the once mighty creatures eyes seeing the fear in them as he realised he was done and said;

“Strike three, game over!” ‘Spherix  Holumo Moonramii’ (meaning ‘Holy Sphere’, moonramii is the activation word to release the chant) from the top of my shoulder the surge of holy energy shoots down my arm until it hits my palm the build up of energy eventually breaks past the skin and starts to build up into the air particles near the palm using the tips of my fingers and thumb I can create a block using holy energy in the opposite direction which creates in my hand a sphere made of literally holy energy and then I pull my arm back and strike the holy energy into the face of the Lagoon. In the final moments I could swear I could hear the lagoon cry “Have mercy!” there is no mercy for the wicked. With no head a demons remains turn into nothing simply the remaining parts atoms break apart until there is nothing although the head was completely gone anyway not much could take a direct, close-up shot of concentrated holy energy like that and live to fight another day. The blood remains but only a little longer by morning there would be no trace it is absorbed by God’s earth so that those that walk on it will never know of the killings us Angels perform. With one last look at the area to make sure I hadn’t missed anything important I turned only then realising that the back of my head was really throbbing,

“Damn that was a bloody good hit first time I’ve felt a pain in ages” then I started for home wandering done the dark dim lit streets no sounds except the natural noises of the wind and scuttling of the odd small critter as well as some humming of engines of the man made cars the night was so peaceful and everyone was once again safe.

© 2012 DeanoSohno


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on January 5, 2012
Last Updated on January 5, 2012

Author

DeanoSohno
DeanoSohno

london, kent, United Kingdom



About
I am a type of person who when watching or reading likes to be seeing something not directly related to real life, the fictional side, what ones imagination can create, think up. non-fiction is enjoya.. more..

Writing
Falling Falling

A Poem by DeanoSohno