This Is Reality.

This Is Reality.

A Poem by Rae

Glowing.

Heating.

Rising.

Growing.

Unnoticed until it's too late.

The house is old and dry
And will burn like a dead fir tree.

Scrambling.

Screaming.

Crying.

Fearing.

All to no avail.

It's no use.
The evil won't be stopped.

Wailing.

Choking.

Struggling.

Checking.

Everyone is present,
the few treasured keepsakes we could gather as well.

We watch the past ten years we've spent together burn in silence
As we share silent tears and smoky air
And await the arrival of the local fire department
With all we'll have for a while: each other.




Keep in your prayers the families affected by recent wildfires. This is basically the worst scenario you could be put in, and many people recently have been in it. Most of them have lost nearly everything, others literally everything. People have died and lives have been ruined. So as you sit in front of your computer in your cozy home with a warm meal and a cold drink, think of those living on whatever food they're given by caretakers and probably never being comfortable. Take a moment to respect them now, and as you lay in your comfortable bed, pray for those that would kill for the luxury of even a thin mattress tonight for their children. Don't take for granted what you've got, be happy that you have something to take for granted. So many people in America don't right now. All I ask is that you pray for them.

© 2012 Rae


Author's Note

Rae
The picture is of a wildfire in Boise, Idaho.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I wish you hadn't included the epilogue. This was actually beautifully written and didn't have to be taken so literally, which would make it really good literature. Maybe instead just say dedicated to... in the description box thingy majig?

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
1 Review
Added on July 9, 2012
Last Updated on July 9, 2012

Author

Rae
Rae

Southeast Nowhere, TX



About
I'll start by saying that I'm a strong Catholic Christian. So if you plan to say rude things to me concerning my religion, I would thank you kindly to leave. I would gladly answer questions about our .. more..

Writing
Floating. Floating.

A Story by Rae


Back to Basics. Back to Basics.

A Poem by Rae