Goodbye Jessica

Goodbye Jessica

A Poem by Jessica
"

Something that made me remember my first surgery

"
As I was laying on the hospital bed when I was twelve,
My mother beside me held my hand.
She said I was going to be okay as she wiped away my tears of fear,
I nodded and held her hand tight, sobbing.
I didn't know at the age of twelve my life would change,
all because of a brain tumour.
Surgery is starting soon and fear ran through me,
here comes the gas mask to make me sleep.
My mother still there was staying strong,
to show me that I would be okay.
As I fell asleep my mother kissed my cheek,
and said goodbye.
Not Goodbye Jessica but Goodbye to the Old Jessica.
When I would awaken my parents would be there,
saying Hello to the new Jessica in the progress to finding herself.
And then the journey started.
My journey isn't over,
but so far I think I know who I am and who I might be.
Going through happiness to sadness,
to smiles to tears,
to cheery faces to depression.
It's taught me not to judge, to understand and to be who I am and to be proud.
This time when I lay on the surgery table,
My mother won't say Goodbye old Jessica
But she will say
Goodbye Jessica In Progress

© 2013 Jessica


Author's Note

Jessica
Tell me what you think everyone :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think we are all "works in progress".... I know I'm not done. The difference is I started with a "knowing" and you with a question.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I feel you. Some wise guy said a happy person doesnt hope for happiness because happiness is the fruit of those who are sad.Same applies to a healthy person.A healthy person doesnt hope for good health because good health is the fruit of those who are sick.Sadness and sickness is what lies beyond happiness and good health. Do not be afraid when you fall sick again because good health is for the sick,comfort is for the lonely and happiness is for the sad.

The hope you got is really helping you.and that's a nice thing.Life is all about hoping.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wow, you've put my problems in perspective... You're honesty is touching, but what really got me is how positive you are. I know you probably have your down moments, anyone would, but the fact that you can look at your trial with with a perspective of hope is absolutely stunning. I loved it, keep it up.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This poem is very well crafted. The progression is very smooth and it feels very real. I love how you mention the strength of the mother despite the circumstances, strength that is so important for a child especially in that moment. The end is perfect as well, a touch of sadness of course because of another surgery, but the optimism and perseverance that you carry. Well-written, good flow, and nice overall story. Good job. I invite you to review some of my writing as well :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Absolutely amazing. Powerful words!!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
5 Reviews
Added on September 15, 2013
Last Updated on September 15, 2013

Author

Jessica
Jessica

Toronto, Canada



About
I'm a brain tumour fighter. Going through a hard battle but I will come out as a stronger person. Love me or hate me I am just going to try and inspire people to respect the life they have. more..

Writing