'Friend'

'Friend'

A Story by D S Rollins
"

A friend is too nice to tell her 'friend' that she doesn't want to be her friend anymore. She feels like she's being used.. and underappreciated.

"

 

I’m always there for her, and I don’t get anything in return. The late night phone calls, the cryings on the shoulder, the rants"everything. What do I get? Sometimes not even a hello. That’s it, no more. I’m cutting her off. I’ve had enough of holding her burdens. I actually listen and give advice. I don’t want praise or glory, because that only goes to God, but it’s a little bit of a downer when all you hear in your ear are complaints about how she doesn’t have a job, how much debt she’s in, the fact that she hasn’t had a date in so and so years. Then do something about it maybe? I know there are times where you need to just let it out to someone, but does it always have to be me? This time, I mean it, I’m just going to cut her off.

 

            “Oh my goodness, it’s happened again Rachel!”

Great. The echo of complaining again.

            “So there was this guy when I was at the bus stop, and he gave me a look, and then walked away. I think I have something!”

There’s no need to be so desperate. The right guy will come. I try and tell you and you really don’t listen. So what’s the point of even trying to speak to you? I think you just love the sound of your own voice.

            “And then I meet up with Susie, and I feel like something isn’t right”

Maybe that’s because you tell this person every detail of your life and this is the kind of person that can’t keep their mouth shut? How many times have I actually said for you to be careful who you speak to? Again, not listening.

            “But I know what to-“

            “I’m tired, I’m going to head to sleep, I have work in the morning”

            “Oh ok, I’ll give you a call tomorrow?”

            “Yep, bye.”

If I were a lion, I think I would have devoured her by now. I mean, seriously. Not even a ‘hello’ Sometimes I wonder do such people care or even know that there are other people in the world?

What is a friend? A person that supports you, that cares, that is actually interested in the things you do? We don’t even have to have the same interests, but at least exchange dialogue and not have a one sided conversation.

I’m not sleeping. I couldn’t bear the echo of her voice. This has to stop.

 

            “I’ve done it again Rachel”

            “What’s that...” I don’t even know why I even asked.

            “I’ve eaten too much food, and you know me and my money problems at the moment.”

I actually have nothing to say.

            “But, I’m full so I’m happy.”

            “Great” I sometimes wonder if she can read the tone in my voice.

            “I have to go, just wanted to say hi”

 

Hi? You didn’t say hi! I don’t think I can do this anymore. I honestly don’t care, and I can’t keep on playing like I do.

            “Rachel!” It’s 1 in the morning.

            “Yes?”

            “I need help.”

            “What’s up?”

            “I’ve done something really stupid.”

Here we go again.

© 2011 D S Rollins


Author's Note

D S Rollins
I wanted to try and get that feeling of trying to do something and never doing it.. you know how we say 'Yeah, tomorrow I'll do it' and then you don't? I can definitely change this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
Added on January 13, 2011
Last Updated on January 13, 2011
Tags: friend, relationship, talking

Author

D S Rollins
D S Rollins

London, United Kingdom



About
I am a writer. My heart and soul are in the words I write down. I've had this issue where I can never express myself fully in words, I write to express what my mouth cannot. It's freedom. I l.. more..

Writing
Go Go

A Poem by D S Rollins