Finishing

Finishing

A Poem by Delmar Cooper

Finishing

 

Briefly, my feet compress the sand

     I feel it grind beneath me

Briefly, dry scald of wind scours my face

     Then slips and whips behind me

And all of an instant my steps erase

 

As sand does polish and abrade

      So this sand will polish me

Briefly beautiful,  smooth white bones

      Open to view, part sand part me

Until a final grinding, then man entirely sand

 

© 2015 Delmar Cooper


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very powerful poem! My interpretation of this poem is about death. The wind represents the inevitability of death and how the marks we leave in life often tend to fade away along with our bodies (" And all of an instant my steps erase"). Amazing job! :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

5 Years Ago

Thanks for your beautiful and thoughtful comment. I am not a poet, but even a blind hog will find a.. read more



Reviews

We are all ground away by the trials of life. That is the impression I get from this. Burnished by wind, rain until we are nothing more than our bare bones and they too will all too soon vanish.

Take care of yourself - Dave

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

Thank you for reading this poem and taking time to comment. I seem to have read a Greek play about .. read more
Dave

3 Years Ago

I'm reminded of another line, that gives hope.
"And this too shall pass."
Take care - .. read more
I like the parallel given between the various meanings of "Finishing"... As if nature itself is a carpenter. It isn't just a time, to finish; but also a state of being. And so we all return to dust. My only real critique would be to evaluate the balance between unnecessary words, and your thematic choices. The more you trim out what doesn't contribute, the more your repetitions will show themselves as a mantra of sorts. This isn't something for me to point out examples, as these choices are certainly the author's to make. But to be merciless in trimming any words that don't precisely match your intention, it is invaluable for such thematic pieces. To use words as a tool for emotion, precision in grammatical construct is every bit the boon as word-choice. Sometimes you don't need one line to grammatically link to another, as fragments of thought can have all the power if not more than a fully fledged sentence. In poetry, we seek to convey something different than prose; we seek to convey something outside of just the words we speak, and sometimes this is best accomplished by being ambiguously succinct. Again, I am not giving this as a criticism, so much as another way you can evaluate your poem... Does a line like "So this sand will polish me" still works as "So sand will me" or "So this sand will me". How do these trims of words impact cadence, meaning, or impact? Does having the repetition of polish in this line increase its impact, or detract? If it detracts, does a synonym help, or just trimming it? If it does increase its impact, can removing some transitional words (And is a huge potential culprit) make it stand out better? I mostly write prose, so it took a while for me to see the flexibility poems could give my grammar; to deliberately use a lack of punctuation to ambiguously link themes and lines. It is just bad writing in prose, ambiguous sentence structure makes for poor reading. But in poetry, when the focus shifts to the words, this is no longer the case; line breaks are your own, and function like fragments of thought. How those fragments connect? It doesn't have to be clear to convey something personal and powerful.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

When I commit a short story I remind myself to be merciless in the slaughter of excess, to render th.. read more
I get the sense there is more going on here.
The romantic notion of taking your final steps away, back to nature, back to the earth.
And over time she absorbs you, joined again.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

Thanks for reading. It is amazing how much poetry can be written about dust.
Ana Papaya

3 Years Ago

It's so versatile. :)
Very powerful poem! My interpretation of this poem is about death. The wind represents the inevitability of death and how the marks we leave in life often tend to fade away along with our bodies (" And all of an instant my steps erase"). Amazing job! :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

5 Years Ago

Thanks for your beautiful and thoughtful comment. I am not a poet, but even a blind hog will find a.. read more
I could read these words until the cows come home....And that my fine literary friend is a compliment indeed......Neville

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

6 Years Ago

I appreciate your comment, knowing the traditional waywardness of cattle as I do.
Neville

6 Years Ago

Moosic to my ears..................Neville
This is a very well spun piece. Love the flow.

Posted 6 Years Ago


A lovely write which has inspired me.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Delmar Cooper

6 Years Ago

Thank You for reading.
I love this message & your artful word-crafting. I've always been a fan of the way life abrades us into more polished beings, a concept you've conveyed here with the lovely idea of sand & wind. Good job of capturing the sensations as well as the meaning (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

6 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and taking time to comment.
Short yet, beautifully magnificent. I admire your way with words, and I am captured by your simple metaphor. Fantastic job!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

6 Years Ago

It is short, but it goes from here to there and I couldn't ask more of Amtrack.
PandaPeaceful

6 Years Ago

Surely. Sometimes the most impacting poems are the shortest ones.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1188 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 14, 2015
Last Updated on April 14, 2015

Author

Delmar Cooper
Delmar Cooper

Trussville, AL



About
I write- a little. I don't write to reinvent the wheel, or discover fire. I just drag along from sentence to sentence hoping for a spark. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Felis Felis

A Poem by Delmar Cooper