The Underwood

The Underwood

A Story by Delmar Cooper
"

Very short story from which a so called poem was taken.

"

The Underwood

 

 

Henry Madison has a computer, a keyboard, a laser printer.  Henry Madison has all the gadgetry the modern writer requires.  There is no reason or excuse for the cast iron framed Underwood typewriter to be anywhere near Henry’s writing, but there it is.  Today it is essential, today it is the fetish god of Henry’s idolatry.  There have been other fetishes; needle sharp No.2 pencils, yellow Eberhardts only please; black coffee in a mug, no cup no saucer; classical music played at low volume; certain articles of clothing.  Eisenhower needed less equipment at Normandy.  Henry is a writer and writers carry a lot of baggage.

 

Henry is staring at the typewriter.  He is considering changing the ribbon, changing one flannel shirt for another, warming his coffee, re-sharpening a few pencils, and switching to Beethoven.

Henry has a goal; it is to write, more specifically rewrite and revise.  He needs everything he sees, hears, feels, and tastes to reach his goal.  Henry is desperately searching for that elusive piece of grit that embeds itself into the tissue of the oyster until it eventually becomes a surprising pearl in an otherwise dull chowder.

 

Having absolutely no ideas Henry begins to write about writing, hammering manfully away at the Underwood.  Thus:

 

 

Frustration

 

The story is conceived in the writing and born in the re-writing.

A story is your child conceived in writing, born in revision. 

A story, conceived in the pleasure of writing, is born in the labor of revision. 

The first draft is happy conception, but birth comes in hard, endless revision.

The story, a pleasant written conception born in the blood and labor of revision…

Beginning in the bliss of written conception, the story is born in revision… in a litter of nasty feral beasts only one of which shall live.

In the beginning was a white page and the idea, at the end a wet basket of maimed corpses, spoiled virgins and a story.

 

“Once upon a time…”

 

The hammering continues into the night.

 

 

 

 

© 2021 Delmar Cooper


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

interesting, all I can do lately is write about writing.

what a trip to reflect on the process of creation.

you did well at creatively conveying that.

& this certainly reinforces my desire to once again acquire a typewriter.

looking forward to reading more of your work.



Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and happy new year. I suppose you are resolved to write more, good luck with tha.. read more



Reviews

I have a 1930's Royal from when I was a kid. We were too poor for a computer, so I grew up writing my homework on it. It wasn't in particularly good shape, but it was functional with patience. Later, as an adult I refurbished it, removing rust from the inner workings with electrolysis, adjusting the tension on the springs, recreating broken arms with a grinder, and cleaning up the glass on the keys. Ironically, only after cleaning it, does it have little use. There are benefits to not using a computer, fewer distractions and the like; but a typewriter is, as you put it a fetished ritual. You dedicate yourself to setting up your surroundings to be 'just right', and suddenly writing lacks spontaneity, it becomes a routine...as do its contents. I think I have written better lines on my own arm with a felt marker than by sitting down in front of my typewriter. These days, I use it to type out works I have already extensively revised, as the typewriter is more a matter of aesthetic than creation. Perhaps I just don't handle routine well?

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

Well said. Routine stifles spontaneity, but the craft of writing relies on routine. We all decry ".. read more
I love this. I am alo mad about using vintage gadgets. The typewriter you mention really attracted me

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

In the beginning was a white page and the idea, at the end a wet basket of maimed corpses, spoiled virgins and a story.

“Once upon a time…”

The hammering continues into the night.

I am trying to move from turning my inner experiences into a story or a poem in my writing because when I do this, the story is already written and I am just putting the words around it. So the end of your "very short story" (which said an awful lot) spoke volumes to me - a white page and the idea. Once I have come up with an idea, I will be able to see whether I am skilled enough to fill the page around it.

Sorry, this is all about me! I just wanted to say that I have been wrestling with these thoughts and you have helped me. I have learnt a lot from your first two paragraphs too about keeping it short, but packing in the imagery and ideas at the same time. I enjoyed reading this and it has been an education too.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Helen

3 Years Ago

Ha! You have definitely made me smile and returned the enchantment of flattery!

I thi.. read more
Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

Call me if you need to borrow a cup of lies.
Helen

3 Years Ago

that really did make me chuckle out loud.
Coltrane went into the Van Gelder studio in New Jersey in 64 mostly dope sick to record "A Love Supreme" without any notes. In those days, they weren't improvising they were rubbing their fatigued bodies down with the flame of spontaneity . It's a miscellaneous line drawn with our plump zen that when crossed commits a person irrevocably. Writing never starts in heaven swayed from the swatches of hell....But vis-versa.....great story....dana

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

The sounds you make about the sounds they made make me hungry. Hush now, you hear.
Eisenhower needed less equipment at Normandy, THAT.
A litter of nasty feral beasts THAT!
Such a great voice in this piece. The above are my two standout lines but the whole thing - I know this guy. I can see him.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

I appreciate your reading and your comments. It is really about "not much", but it is a common "not.. read more
I call it a word vacuum.

I did lol though, haha nice work.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and letting me know.
I'm a fan of this one and especially this line, "Henry is desperately searching for that elusive piece of grit that embeds itself into the tissue of the oyster until it eventually becomes a surprising pearl in an otherwise dull chowder."



Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

This piece of drivel is not ambitious. A monkey could have written this. Your story about the relea.. read more
Hamming? hm. Smoked I hope. The first paragraph is classic. Punchline to an old joke: The bear says to the hunter, "You don't come here for the hunting, do ya?" Enjoyed.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

hamming?!! S**t! Hammering, hammering, good catch, thanks correcting now. I owe you one.
I love the simplicity of your writing. Great tone. I think I speak for all writers when I say this is extremely, perhaps even painfully, relatable. The idea of writing as conception and revision as giving birth is spot on. Were you going through a creative block when you wrote this one?

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

LOL creative? I just write s**t, if it halfway works a reader gets a look otherwise - round file.
This is such an easy piece to identify with while being well written and interesting. I love that you mention the idolization of writing tools, because I've found that more with myself too.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

3 Years Ago

Thanks for reading, the stuff is more a procrastination anchor than a writing tool, but I know what.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 25, 2020
Last Updated on January 5, 2021

Author

Delmar Cooper
Delmar Cooper

Trussville, AL



About
I write- a little. I don't write to reinvent the wheel, or discover fire. I just drag along from sentence to sentence hoping for a spark. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Biting Back Biting Back

A Poem by Bubo