To Pieces

To Pieces

A Poem by Summer D.
"

" I want a moment to be real." Society always wants you to be anything but yourself... Why?

"
To Pieces

Naked soil, bare, and weak drifts along in a circle of weeds.

The difference here is for them alone to see.

A coaxing breeze, lifts and scatters, an unbalance of footing opens holes and trenches.

Valleys rise and gorges deepen, mountains cave, and century-old trees tremble beneath my feet.

 Everywhere I walk, uncertainty looms, destruction loosens the soil and I tumble.

So high and low, I’ve trekked and wandered, searching for the answer to this puzzle.

Why do I not sway, whisper, and grow like the vines of ivy that crawl against the opening in my brick wall?

Will no one tell a weary soul, the price, the merchant, the key to acceptance?

What must I sell to be perfect?

My soul, my heart, even the ones I love so dearly" A contract with the darkened entity?

Let a weary soul, tired of fighting, dye her coat so that her spots might become stripes and that her thoughts become bound.

Settling in a raging river, never content, always swirling, a conform to society.

Naked soil, bare, and weak drifts along in a circle of weeds.

You will not let me stand in a patch of dry land, always footloose, with sightless eyes; dancing from side to side on a bed of hot coals.

There is no beauty in rows of glass, crafted and welded for a single hand.

I face your mirror of reflection and raise my palm to strike the surface.

I watch as you crumble

To pieces.

Summer D.
Also Known As: Aisha_U

© 2012 Summer D.


Author's Note

Summer D.
I’m having a bit of a moment here. I was picking my brain for a new writing piece and I somehow ended up listening to “ I’m Still Here.” A song to the brilliant soundtrack of the (amazing) Disney movie “ Treasure Planet”. It’s a really beautiful song. It’s my victory song as a matter of fact. If you prefer not to listen to the song, PLEASE look at the lyrics–

Johnny Rzeznik, " I'm Still Here"

I felt like that for.. about five or six years of my life. I always wanted to fit in. I was sick of being the odd one in the class. The one who respected and loved all her teachers, payed attention and did what she was asked, refused to be mean to others. I was the one who spoke her mind and challenged what I didn't feel was right. I was the one who went to the slides, where no one played, away from the other kids, so my younger brother couldn't see me cry. I'm the one who asked my mom to quit putting my hair in braids because the others said they looked like devil horns. I'm the one who studied herself in the mirror, wondering if maybe, she had a defect? I'm the one who hid her belongings, so they wouldn't steal them, and throw them away. I'm the one, who finally went unnoticed, helping where I could to ease the pain that they put others through. I'm the one who watched teachers say nothing because parents held too much money in the school's founding. I'm the one who can't hold a grudge, curse people to hell, and hate someone for more than a moment. I'm the one who kept their secrets, lied and took the blame just so they wouldn't feel the sting of their deeds. I'm the one that gets played and taken advantage of, used and tossed away like a rag. I'm the girl who sat and read near her teachers, while the others hung out together, ignoring my existence. I'm the girl who wears her heart on her sleeve with open arms for anyone who needs.

Even though it hurt and it would've been simpler to give up... I didn't. I couldn't. They tried so hard to get rid of me... but I wouldn't go.

I'm still here.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMGXq9_IQBQ


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it!!!!!!! Its a beautiful piece!!!!!!!!! So insprational! Wonderful!!!!! Write more!!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


. Its really relatable to, but I have friends who truly accept me for who I am now (including you guys) and it helps a lot.
Summer, I seriously have to sit down and review ALL your poemsThey're really intriguing. You have such amazing use of vocab. it just brings you in. Beautiful poem Summer. Really amazing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


So relatable.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was simply awesome.

I love your little quirks that generally get skipped over in poems. Your hints to certain things that people are like "Oh, so clever" but don't catch on to the actual meaning.

I think pretty much everyone can relate to this, even the people who tend to bully and pick on those who always feel like this.

I think this is the best poem I've seen from you so far. Seriously.

Amazing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


The best people are often tested :(
this poem has a lot of meaning. If the emotion is powerful enough, chances are the poem's gonna be powerful. I love that song you mentioned, btw. XD
Lots of imagery, I love the comparison to loose soil. Truth is, when I was little, I was like that too...

Weeee! XD

Posted 12 Years Ago


I always love your writings! And I can actually relate to your poem.
Wonderful write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow you don't now how much i can relate to this poem
Love it as always
Great write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I was always that girl, too!

This is really intense and beautifully written. You created great imagery and emotion that I was able to relate with very easily. This is a struggle within our society, created by our society that one can choose to overcome. I love the end.



Posted 12 Years Ago


I feel that way a lot, because I wears skirts and dresses, which kids nowadays wouldn't be caught dead in. And each time I'm in a group, I know I'm the odd one out, the strange one, the weird one, and absolutely NOBODY seems to understand that. It's an amazing, beautiful poem with significant meaning :)
~Jasmine Thousand~

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

337 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 24, 2012
Last Updated on January 31, 2012

Author

Summer D.
Summer D.

Deep Within My Thoughts, CA



About
I am here. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


MYNA MYNA

A Poem by ~Dragon X


Stop Stop

A Poem by Summer D.


Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Miss Evans