Ch.1

Ch.1

A Chapter by A LaDy NaMeD D
"

umm first chapter? lol you have to read it to know the content

"

 

 

 

 

I walked into the room, that her mother directed me to in the large house. Her bedroom was big with a large queen sized bed that sat in the middle and couches all throughout it. A large T.V. was built into the wall and the floor was carpeted with a soft white Persian carpet. She sat on one of the couches near the window looking disheveled and weak. The last time I saw her she didn’t look that skinny. Her long black hair was wild and even from where I was standing I could see that her clothes were wrinkled. She turned and looked at me, her eyes bloodshot, like she hadn’t slept in days.
“Hello Brianna,” she said.
At first I didn’t speak, I couldn’t speak but then finally I said, “Hey Nicole.”
She picked up a pack of Newport’s that were sitting next to her and took one out lighting it and putting it to her lips.
“I would offer you one, but I know you don’t smoke. Why did he send you here?” she asked me.
“Why did you leave?” I asked slowly. “He sent me to come get you, bring you back he misses you.”
She laughed lightly and said, “If he missed me so f*****g much than he would’ve come to get me himself.”
“Why did you leave?” I asked again.
“How would you feel if you woke up one day, and something in your gut didn’t feel right? How would you feel if you found out something that tore your whole world apart? That not only affected you but affected others? A lie that kept on going? He didn’t tell you why exactly I left did he? Unless you’re in on it too. The little front they put up to make their lives seem so normal. I can understand why Kristina went crazy.”She said taking a drag of her Newport and looking out of the window again.
“I don’t understand what you’re talking about, really I don’t. Whatever the man did, he’s your husband, forgive him, go back to him.” I paused and when she said nothing I yelled, “Damn it you took vows, in front of god!” When she still said nothing I lowered my voice and continued, “Nicole you’re not being reasonable, whatever he did I know you can forgive him.” She turned her head and looked at me with amusement in her eyes.
She took another drag of her cigarette and laughed before saying, “You know, you remind me a lot of myself, at least, a lot of how I use to be. When I was naïve, but those days are long gone, I’ve been through too much to be how I once was. He didn’t tell you why I left, did he?” There was a pregnant pause and she said, “Of course not.”
“What did he do?”
“He gave me a little gift.”
I looked at her with a raised brow and said, “What kind of gift.”
She ignored the question and said, “Our marriage was based on a lie and I was too stupid to see it. I assumed he loved me, I assumed he cared about me.”
“What are you talking about what did he do?”
“He still does what he did. It would’ve different if he would’ve just told me he was gay. Gay I could handle. Gay I could accept and I do. I do accept the fact that women aren’t his thing. What pisses me the f**k off, what I can’t a refuse to forgive is that product of him lying. The product of him f*****g me and f*****g men unprotected. I hate the fact that I went to get a check up only to get a phone call telling me that I’m HIV positive. That’s what the f**k he did he gave me HIV.”
I looked at her in disbelief and said, “My brother is not gay.”
She stood up and laughed and then walked towards me so that her face was just inches from mine and said, “Your brother is gay, you can choose to believe me, or not to believe me, but I wash my hands of everything. He sent you here to try to convince me to come back, to be like Kristina, to keep his little secret. Give him a message. Tell him I said f**k you. Tell him I said he can take his money and shove it up his a*s. I can take half his of s**t and still not live his lie. Tell him if he ever wants me to forgive him, then tell me he’s sorry when he means it, when I can believe it.”
I just shook my head and said, “I use to look up to you.”
Nicole sighed and said, “Here,” and picked up a letter off of the night stand and handed it to me, “I want you to read this while you’re on your way back to New York. I want you to let your brother read it.”
“Bye Nicole.” I said slowly.
She gave me a hug and said, “Bye Brianna, you’re like a little sister to me.”
I hugged her back and then walked out of the room, my plane left in two hours and I needed to get to the airport. While on the way there I decided not to call my brother and give him the news over the phone, I would wait until I got back to New York to tell him in person. When I was on the plane I settled into my seat and looked at the letter. I was almost afraid to open it, but then I realized whatever was troubling her, maybe if I read the letter, I would be able to help. I opened the cream colored envelope and removed the first page of the letter and began reading.
If you’re reading this letter, than you gave what I told you some kind of thought. I thank you for that Brianna. The accusations I brought to you against your brother are true, yet I know you would have some difficulties believing that of your big brother, your knight in shining armor. I would have, and still have a hard time believing it, because I do love your brother almost more than I love myself. Almost more than I love God. Yet I cannot live the lie he wants me to. The evidence has always been there, I guess since the very beginning. I should have seen it in Kristina, but I didn’t, and because of that I am partially at fault for the events that happened. The story I wanted to tell you, you know some of but not all of. Let me start at the very beginning.
Seven years ago, I transferred from a small community college in Virginia to New York University. I choose to do two years at a community college to knock out all my main courses and to save money. My family wanted me to learn how to earn for myself. So they contributed very little to my college education. The only reason I got to attend NYU was because of a scholarship I got for writing an essay and, a series of student loans and grants. Two weeks prior to me relocating to New York I looked for apartments and found one with two other college students. One attended NYU like me and the other attended Pratt Institute. My first day both girls helped me move and settle in. That night they took me to a club two blocks away from the apartment. That’s when I meet Leon. The club was packed and in between the loud music and the people dancing I didn’t know how to react. In Virginia there were clubs that I attended, but none had been live like this one. I was wearing a strapless black dress that stopped mid thigh and black three inch stiletto heels. 
“Okay girl let me school you on the four types of dudes that you’re going to be approached by tonight,” said Shakeita sipping on her Smirnoff ice.
Shakeita was tall and thick with ebony brown skin. She had chocolate brown eyes and long black hair that stopped mid back. She was wearing a blue halter dress and matching sandals. Her eyes scanned the club and she laughed and pointed at a guy wearing a black shirt.
“That’s Tyrone, type dude number one. He’s the epitome of the dude my girl Erykah Badu was singing about in her song Tyrone. Oh yea his name really is Tyrone no lie, he took me out on a date once. I ended up paying and he was mad cause I wouldn’t let him hit.” Shakeita said before turning her attention to a dude in a bright orange shirt. “Okay I don’t know oh dudes name but I can tell right now he’s the type of dude that will let you walk all over him.”
“What’s wrong with that?” I asked looking at her.
“Girl I know.”
There was a pause and we both said, “Boring.”
We laughed and she turned to a dude in a white shirt, “Okay I know him he used to go out with this girl name Jackie that was my dorm mate my freshman year. He’s an a*****e and a woman beater. He beat the s**t out of Jackie one night I will never forget, all because this dude walked her to her room one night cause he didn’t want anything bad to happen.”
“Dag, yea you right, my cousins don’t play that not at all.”
“True that,” Shakeita said, “And last but not least we have…wait I just saw his a*s where he go?”
I looked at her and asked, “Who?”
“Shakeita,” said a male voice behind us.
We both turned to see a dude about six foot five standing behind us. He had an athletic build and chocolate brown skin. He was wearing a black button up shirt and blue jeans with black air force ones. The thing that stood out the most with him was his lips, they were thick, which was something I was attracted to.
“Leon,” she said, “What’s up?”
Leon grinned and said, “Nothing, but you’re so rude you’re not going to introduce me to your friend?”
Shakeita gave him a look and said, “Nicole, this is my big flirtatious playboy cousin Leon. Leon this is my off limits friend Nicole.”
Leon extended his hand and said, “Nice to meet you.”
I moved to give him a hand shake but he pulled my hand to his lips and kissed it.
“Nice to meet you too,” I giggled.
Leon looked at me and asked, “You’re off limits, does that mean you have a man.”
I smiled and said, “Nope, actually I’m single. When she said I’m off limits, that means I don’t want game, I want the real thing.”
“The real thing huh, well you seem like the kind of woman to change a man, from his ways.” Leon said licking his lips.
I nodded and said, “But I can’t change a man that don’t wanna change. It’s not my job, and besides real men know what they want and will do any and everything to get it and keep it. I’m looking for commitment, not a hit it and quit it type of thing.”
“Well I know that I want you to dance with me and I’m not going to leave your side until you do.” Leon said.
I smiled and decided to see if he was for real, “I don’t really feel like dancing right now.”
“Well you stuck with me until you do.” He said grinning and then looking at the bartender, “Yo my man, can I get a Heineken and a black cherry Smirnoff for the lady?”
The bartender nodded and handing us the drinks and Leon pulled the money out of his pocket to pay him. I took a sip of the Smirnoff and looked at him with a raised brow.
“What made you think I liked this particular kind of drink?”
Leon smiled and said, “I know these kinds of things.”
“Lucky guess,” I replied and the said, “I’ll dance with you, but let me finish the drink first.”
“Okay, and while you finish your drink, you can tell me a little about yourself.” He said sitting down on the barstool next to mine.
Shakeita shook her head and walked off and I said, “Okay I was born in Los Angles.”
“Oh and what brings you to New York?” he asked me.
I paused for a minute and said, “I guess I wanted to actually be on my own. I didn’t want to stay on the west coast my whole life. Besides NYU is a good college.”
“What are you planning on majoring in?” he asked.
“English with a minor in Photography.” I said slowly.
I finished the rest of my drink and stood up, “Okay let’s go.”
Leon stood up took my hand and lead me to the dance floor. I slowly started grinding on him and he put his hands on my hips and started dancing with me. After about four songs I stopped and turned to him.
“Now are you going to leave my side?” I asked with a grin on my face.
Leon returned the grin and said, “Nope, I want to get to know you.”
“Okay, we’ll see.” I said, “I think I’m ready to go though.”
“Aiight I’ll help you look for Shakeita.” He said.
We found her dancing with a dude in a white shirt. She told us she wasn’t ready to leave yet, so Leon agreed to take me to the apartment. When we got to the apartment I invited him in and we sat on the couch talking and watching T.V.
“My cousin is like my sister though,” he explained to me, “And we treat each other like that too. Her mom and my mom were really close and I am the oldest so I’m a little over protective of her.”
I smiled and said, “I actually have an older brother. When I first started dating, man I felt so sorry for the guys sometimes, he use to scare the s**t out of them. Still, I always had the mindset that if you let something such as my brother get in the way of you trying to be with me than, it wasn’t even worth it.”
Leon nodded and said, “True. I’m not going to let your brother run me off though.”
“Oh so you’re trying to be the one?” I asked.
Leon grinned and moved a little closer to me so that his face was just inches from mine, “Baby I know I am the one.”
I licked my lips and said, “We'll see.”
He moved to kiss me when the door opened and in walked Shakeita and our roommate Felicia. Leon stood up and smiled at me.
“I guess I should be going,” he said slowly, “I’ll see you later.” He turned to Shakeita and said, “Bye Keita.”
“Bye Leon.” She said.
He left and she gave me a look, “I think my cousin likes you.”
I smiled and said, “I think I like him too.”
 I stood up and walked into my room and lay down on my bed with a smile. I knew I was going to love New York.
 


© 2008 A LaDy NaMeD D


Author's Note

A LaDy NaMeD D
...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You handled the descriptions and the dialogue like a pro. It all seemed so effortless which is a true sign of talent. Few typos, no big deals.

You also have great character development. I actually found myself caring about these characters and wondering what they were going to do next. John Grisham doesn't get that from me... lol

You touched on a controversial subject with HIV and Homosexuality, but thus far I believe you have handled it with a dignified grace that isn't often seen. You also have a nicely packed first chapter which is usually a weakness for myself. Overall it is a terrific job (:

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Girl, you are just tooo damn good. The portions involving HIV and a homosexual man was so realistic. People are practicing alot of different sex issues these days and doing it unprotectively. Great chapter. I can't wait to snag a copy of the book.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow. A down-low tale. Nice write. You have a solid gift for dialogue that many writers struggle with.

I liked "pregnant pause" - that was different.

One suggestion, about her getting a "call" regarding HIV results, that type of info is always given in person, even for milder diseases. My uncle works at a clinic and he's mentioned how it's unlawful to relay that information over the phone. Just an FYI.

Definitely send me the next chapter. Your characters are always strong and intriguing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I love the way you write, you know that? You always build very strong characters and I like that about your stories. Will there be more chapters? I hope so. Send me a read request, if there are! Great write, Danni.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very original. The "story within a story" approach was excellently done. Yeah, a few typos, but they didn't take away from the story at all. Very good dialog. You could feel the real-life emotion as the characters (unlike mine, who I sense as having a little robotic-ness. lol.) Great descriptions also. Good job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


You handled the descriptions and the dialogue like a pro. It all seemed so effortless which is a true sign of talent. Few typos, no big deals.

You also have great character development. I actually found myself caring about these characters and wondering what they were going to do next. John Grisham doesn't get that from me... lol

You touched on a controversial subject with HIV and Homosexuality, but thus far I believe you have handled it with a dignified grace that isn't often seen. You also have a nicely packed first chapter which is usually a weakness for myself. Overall it is a terrific job (:

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oops, you posted twice. I got to "I stood up and walked into my room and lay down on my bed with a smile. I knew I was going to love New York." and it started all over again.

Other than that, it's good so far, and I really hope you finish this. It's a subject that hits me. If you're looking for inspiration, I recommend "Pedro and Me" by Judd Winick. Great story about Pedro Zamora who raised awareness for AIDS and HIV.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 26, 2008
Last Updated on August 8, 2008


Author

A LaDy NaMeD D
A LaDy NaMeD D

Smithfield, VA



About
HI!!!! It's been a LONG time and a lot has changed. I think the only thing that hasn't changed is my want to be a published author. I typically write erotica, but i'm know to dibble and dabble in .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lies? Lies?

A Poem by A LaDy NaMeD D