Where Did I Go Wrong?

Where Did I Go Wrong?

A Story by Derek
"

This story is based on the song "Welcome to Heartbreak" by Kanye West Featuring Kid Cudi.

"
It's been years since I've been back home. But everything is just as I remember it, only smaller. Living out in California has made everything back here seem so small and insignificant to me compared to the life of luxury I now have. My best friend has come to meet me at the airport. We share a great hug and we head out. We arrive at his house and head inside. He pours himself a drink and we begin to reminisce about the old days of high school. It was a nostalgic walk down memory lane. I look him over, he's aged a bit since I saw him last. He's wearing very homely attire, a sweater and khakis with some simple brown loafers. His attire made me feel a bit out of place wearing my three piece Armani suit and black wing-tipped shoes shined enough to blind a man.

He brings me a cup of coffee, black; just the way I like it. He takes a seat in what clearly is "his chair" in the house. A comfortable recliner upholstered in what appears to be Egyptian cotton. I study his aged face some more. Stress has definitely taken it's toll on him as the wrinkles in his face are rather prominent accompanied by rather large bags under his eyes. I ask where his kids are and he tells me they're on their way home with his wife. He tells me his daughter just brought home straight A's on her latest report card. I tell him that's always something to celebrate. I tell him I just bought a new car. A Lamborghini. He nods his head with a "not bad" message coming from his face.

Soon his children and wife arrive. Their eyes widen as they spot me. They drop their book bags and race to give me a hug. They jump on my lap and squeeze as much as their little bodies could. We all laugh for a second and I set them back on the floor as I greet them with a hello. I congratulate the daughter on her perfect report card and turn to the son and pat his head, telling him he's gotten bigger since I last saw him. I crack a couple jokes and they both laugh their hearts out. I greet my friend's wife and give her a hug and ask how she's doing.

After a while of visiting, I decide to ask if I can borrow my friend's car to visit the rest of the gang scattered around town. He agrees as long as I refill the tank. He tosses me the keys and I head out the door. I make phone calls and send texts out and go around visiting everyone. I stop off at a diner to have some dinner and as I wait for my server I look over to see an old friend, one who was very special to me for a long time; sitting in a corner booth. I simply eat my meal and quietly observe her from across the restaurant. She seems stressed about something. She is dressed in casual clothes, a hoodie, jeans, and some flat girlish shoes. I eat my meal and pay my bill. As I prepare to depart, I grab her attention and wave to her before exiting. Her jaw dropped a bit and her eyes widened. I get in the car and drive off.

Sunday afternoon, my best friend drives me to the airport. He and I give each other a big hug and bid farewell as I board a plane back to California, first class of course. As the flight goes on, I can't help but listen to the wanting in the back of my head. The wanting of a family. I'm living a life of luxury as a bachelor. Going to bed each night with some swimsuit model or movie star, driving my cars through the hills of Hollywood, and getting high every night with a bunch of my phony, fake Hollywood friends. So why do I want something as simple and quiet as a family of my own?

A few months go by and I receive an envelope in the mail. A wedding invitation. I wonder who I know that's getting married? I open it to find it's my friend from the restaurant. I stand there feeling happy for her but then a wave of urgency rushes over me as I read the date. It's in 4 days. I need to figure out who I want to take there. That one aspiring actress was really hot, but then again so was that french model that was out here last week. Ugh such is a hard life for me right? Forget it I'll call up the model.

I head out to a plane the night before and I decide to sleep on the way there. As my flight lands, I find I only have an hour before the ceremony starts and driving there will take 45 minutes at least. I hurry off the the plane and through baggage return. This will be a great weekend. I hurry to the limo driver and tell him to gun it as best he can. About 10 minutes away, we get a flat tire. I leave him three hundred dollars, 200 for the ride, 100 to fix the tire, and I begin to run with my bags. I need to get there fast. I run until my legs pumped with acid moving through the veins and arteries. My legs burned like none other.

There's the wedding! I hurry to the door. I open it to find that I'm late and the bride and groom are already standing at the altar. I quietly take a seat in the back and sit through the rest of the ceremony. I meet everyone at the reception and my friend hurriedly approaches me in her wedding dress with a look of pure excitement on her face. As she begins to tel me how glad she is that I made it, I pause her to answer my ringing phone. It's my biggest client. This guy has thrown so much business my way and is a big reason I'm so rich. He has another big assignment for me, but I need to be back in LA by tonight. I express how sorry I am that I can't stay for the rest of the night, or weekend for that matter, and I leave. They hadn't even cut the cake yet.

I board my plane back to LA. As I sit in my seat, all I can think about is how much I probably hurt her by leaving so fast. This is heartbreak.

© 2014 Derek


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on April 29, 2014
Last Updated on April 29, 2014
Tags: Welcome, to, heartbreak, loneliness, where, did, I, Go, Wrong

Author

Derek
Derek

Livingston, West Lothian, United Kingdom



About
I can't say I'm a particularly cheerful person. I mostly write poetry and short stories but I like to use metaphorical language a lot so hold out until the end. more..

Writing
Guide You Home Guide You Home

A Story by Derek