Spring Celebration

Spring Celebration

A Chapter by Desert Dreamer
"

a journal entry from last Spring

"
Nothing can make me miss this CELEBRATION OF SPRING!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The sun is shining, the Poppies and Lupine are flowering in abundance.  And it is time to walk the washes and canyons to see all the flowers of Spring, to visit all my plant friends. Can a plant be a friend?  Well, I know these individual plants and want to know how they are doing this Spring.  Call me crazy if you want to, but I love all the wild creatures including the plants.

 

The hummingbirds are enjoying the flowers in my garden.  My garden is beautiful with flowers of Salvia, Penstemon, Poppy, Bladderpod, Golden Fleece, Fiddlenecks and a few small flowers I don't know the name of.  And of course the fragrant flowers of the Desert Lavender and Bee Bush - must stop and smell them and close my eyes for a moment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Who wants a nature garden?  I am in love with nature and want to share with everyone!  Plant native plants in your garden and you will understand.  Take away the grass lawn if you have it and replace it with native shrubs, flowers and trees.  All the native birds and insects will come to visit you, and the pests naturally go away.  Get rid of the bird feeders and give the birds their natural habitat!  I love my natural garden.

 

This year I am going to eat weeds!  Literally!  So many of the weeds are actually edible greens, I have actually considered planting them in my food garden.  Goosefoot is one of my favorites, they taste like a mild version of spinache.  There are many varieties of Goosefoot, some are better cooked before eating.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I want to do everything!  Hike in the desert, eat the weeds, see every flower, run down every wash, see the wondrous world while it is bursting with life and color!  Plant a garden, save the desert, save the rivers, save the trees, sing with the flowers, listen to the earth and record its poetry, run into the desert and never come back to the city again!



© 2011 Desert Dreamer


Author's Note

Desert Dreamer
My photos of desert Spring flowers above are Mexican Gold Poppy (Eschscholzia californica ssp. mexicana), Superb Penstemon (Penstemon superbus), and New Mexican Goosefoot (Chenopodium neomexicanum).

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I dig this celebration!
Planting and eating weeds from a garden. Wow, that concept is just so incredibly cool. Reminds me so much of the lotus flower which blooms from the mud. Your photos and descriptions invigorate with me with inspiration and energy!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well gosh, how colorful, instructive, lively, and seasonally offbeat! ;-)

Gotta love the eco-mystic desert ethos.

Wow one doesn't just smoke weed, one eats weeds. Eye-opening!

I applaud your spirited explorations into soul-satisfying simple sustainable living.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Plain out beautiful!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I was delighted at your spirit about the plants that grow in the desert...I enjoy the beauty in my area in Spring..Some of the plants are beautiful..Unless someone told what was edible I would not eat it for some are a deadly poison..Enjoyed your work..Thanks for stopping by my work and commenting such encouraging words.Sara

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a warm visit! Singing and being alive in blossoms and the earths treasures. Beautiful!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I’m not much of a plant person or flowers other than buying them for a date on the other hand, that would be nice a garden to watch it grow from ones efforts, for me that would be a challenge because I’m all thumbs and none of them are green. Nice work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A beautiful garden. I have little time for the garden. It is my wife pleasure. I want to plant a natural herbal garden one day. Thank you for the field trip through your garden.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is really wonderful and it would be wonderful if everyone who wanted to do this could, I think the native plants and animals would benefit too. I know people would, having a natural place to relax and find themselves again, sooth the heart and soul. I think its sad native plants are always considered weeds, they are so beautiful and don't need huge amounts of water to grow!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your words on the desert springtime warmed a very cold world, and the photos added to the beauty of it all. Thank you for sharing the hopeful wonder of the season, and the life that makes the earth sing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You hooked me with a kinship. I walk a trail system in spring. The little one with me, picks individual flowers, smells them first, at three. You would be proud of me. Love your pics and love.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a delight to read this celebration of nature's abundance... with beautiful photos to brighten a cold winter's day here. You portray a veritable Eden.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1401 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 20, 2010
Last Updated on January 26, 2011
Tags: journal, garden, flowers, desert


Author

Desert Dreamer
Desert Dreamer

Sonoran Desert, AZ



About
I joined Writers Cafe to inspire and be inspired, I hope you are looking for the same. I always review other peoples writing in return for a review (sometimes I am slow) and I look forward to any con.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Battling Burma Battling Burma

A Poem by Bubo