Gift to the Termites

Gift to the Termites

A Chapter by Desert Dreamer
"

nature observations

"

I so often read about how branches and other organic materials don't decompose in the desert, or at least the process is so slow that a person can't use this as a method to dispose of tree trimmings.  I have learned otherwise by listening to the land.  Here is what I have learned about decomposition in the desert.

I have a compost bin and all small plant trimmings and leaves go in there with all my food scraps, except bones from meat. 

Every once in a while I put larger branches in the compost bin to see how long they take to completely decompose.  It takes about three years for a branch 1/2 inch in diameter to turn into compost.

My compost bins are recycled 24" wide boxes that once held large trees.  I layer food scraps with mostly Mesquite leaves but also any small branches I happen to trim.  I add water occasionally in the summer to keep it all moist and then I let the insects and microbes do their work.  Every few months I stir the oldest bin to see if it is ready and when it is I spread the final product all over my garden, love that dark brown rich mulch, I have fun wandering around finding the best places to put it.  Lots of this mulch ends up in my food garden.  I rarely fertilize anything in my garden, but use this mulch instead.

As for the larger branches, I have learned a secret this year.

In the past, I went through various stages in figuring out what to do with larger dead branches.  When I first moved to the Sonoran Desert, I cut them up and scattered them around, figuring they would shade the soil and decompose...I was so wrong, most of those branches are still out there, going on 7 years now, turned gray, but not decomposing in the usual way.  I decided this didn't work and started putting the larger branches either in my wood pile for later fires, or if they were too small or thorny, I put them in the garbage can.  Then the local landfill started accepting organic material, composting it and selling the final product as mulch for landscaping, so I started bringing all the big branches there, for a small fee. 

During all these years, I have also been putting a few branches, mostly cactus wood, around my garden for decoration, especially when I found a branch with interesting shapes and holes.  I have been noticing that the termites are eating my cactus wood art.  Interesting to see how they coat the wood with a layer of mud to seal in the branch and then they eat the wood, leaving a hardened mud sculpture in the shape of the branch.  I touched a few of these and they crumbled, nothing was left inside. 

Hey!  Why didn't they eat all the branches I scattered around?  I asked the termites (go ahead and laugh, but I really did) and then I observed, still observing really, and I have the beginnings of an answer. 

It has taken a lot of watching and thinking for me to finally(!) realize that the termites must live underground near the watered areas in my garden, especially the area I call a Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden.  I don't water often, about once a month when it doesn't rain.  I think the termites are happy with this watering schedule and are happily disposing of any dry organic material.

Termites are not bad creatures, not at all.  These desert termites will only eat wood that is directly touching the ground.  Even putting a branch on a small rock to prevent the wood from touching soil will stop the termites from eating it.  These termites don't live above ground and will not eat a house.  The wood must be directly touching soil for termites to eat it.  Wood inside a house never touches soil, it is against building codes, so there is no worry about a house.  Also, it appears that the termites will only go about 6 inches up a branch that is touching the soil, with very rare exceptions where I have seen their mud coating go up about 1 ft high.  Also, they live below the ground, only coming up to collect food.

I have been experimenting in the area where I think the termites live, giving them gifts of wood and leaves.  Amazing how fast the branches disappear, although the termites are not always active.  Sometimes the branches sit there for months before the termites go to work on them.  Once they start the process, most branches and any dry leaves disappear within a month or two.  I almost never see a termite.  I broke through some new mud and found termites!  The first time ever to see the being responsible for all these mud sculptures.  I like the way the mud sculpures break down into fine soil.  There isn't much soil here to begin with, mostly big rocks, so the addition of top soil is a huge benefit.

Today I scattered around branches as gifts to the termites.  I am glad to have their help.  This means less will be going to the landfill.  And I will be looking around for more signs of termites so I can feed them.

I wonder how big the termite's home is underground.  I find it odd how there are no obvioius signs that termites live here.  The things I have described required close observation to notice.  If one doesn't pay close attention, it seems the branches are decomposing in the normal way.

Time to do some research on desert termites.  Everything I am writing today is based on my observations, not from any book-learned knowledge about termites. 

 

Termites, they are my new subject of study in nature's wild school.



© 2011 Desert Dreamer


Author's Note

Desert Dreamer
I have learned since writing these words that the termites in my garden are Encrusting Termites and don't live inside wood. They also contain nitrogen fixing bacteria in their gut, so they fertilize the soil while they clean up my garden. Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

PLus it keeps them from invading homes... I never thought of it like that... just like us they are just looking to survive... a very interesting observation and you show that we can coexist with insects when we take a moment to understand instead of judge.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Everything has its place lol I love this and admire the fact that you see such beauty in everything, as it should be!
Wonderful....and I couldn't stop reading these LOL
So, had to read them all!
xx

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you step so lightly and live so profoundly ..

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A great story and learning experience here. Also a great job with the bins and conscious gardening.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

My, my--you are a serious one. I mean that in a good way. I've known people who talked the talk about conservation, but you are obviously dedicated. About those termites.....Bear Gryls will come over and eat them if you get too many.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

PLus it keeps them from invading homes... I never thought of it like that... just like us they are just looking to survive... a very interesting observation and you show that we can coexist with insects when we take a moment to understand instead of judge.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

amazing natural progression of things...interesting read...thanks for sharing...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

the world works just fine, left to itself...'intelligence' is showing its stuff everywhere...just look what those little buggers figured out to do

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

566 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 15, 2011
Last Updated on April 29, 2011
Tags: nature, desert, termites, insects, compost


Author

Desert Dreamer
Desert Dreamer

Sonoran Desert, AZ



About
I joined Writers Cafe to inspire and be inspired, I hope you are looking for the same. I always review other peoples writing in return for a review (sometimes I am slow) and I look forward to any con.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mercy Mercy

A Story by Coyote Poetry