The Castle of Dreams

The Castle of Dreams

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez
"

Chief in Training Lutho awakes to find himself in the company of two strangers. Meanwhile strange things begin to be at work.

"

The Castle of Dreams

 

He was told that dreams were very important. He wasn’t sure who told him this, either it was his father, the Chief of his tribe or some strange man. A trickle of sweat allowed him to delve deeper into this rare memory. It must have been the old man Speaker, before Kalli had stepped up. He was too young to recall but the old figure looked to him, with a life of sorrow in his eyes, told him this deep truth. His dreams meant something grander than he could comprehend.

Lutho did not know why he kept this memory over all the ones his family would tell him of his more youthly adventures. He did not remember the time he ate a rock, telling his parents he wanted to become one with the dirt beneath their feet. No, he did not even recall the time he tried to throw a rebellion against his dad by claiming he decided he was old enough to be Chief and that his father should bow before him.

“Your father just smiled and waited till mother nature called you. You fought as hard as you could but you couldn’t hold it in forever. You never tried to overthrow your father since.”

Upon remembering being told that story, rather than an apology, he quickly responded, “I should have went before I took his chair.” His mother smiled. Lutho, during his younger and more vulnerable days recalled the mental note a bit more serious at the time.

Long since that time occurred that he rememebered having a fearing respect of the Chiefs position. So much so, he never really desired being Chief. What was his toddler self thinking, standing on his fathers throne, ordering that all obey?

Stupidity. That is all that needed to be described, it was stupid of him then, and it gave him plenty of room to laugh later.

Now though, in this fluid time, a time that was of no beginning or end, Lutho sat on that chair. He was dressed in clothes he saw only of those who have achieved their first birthday. The little children, too innocent to understand the world.

In this dream his father bowed before him, all the while claiming, subservently, “You are a failure” with each respectful bow. His mother, she was there too, “My poor child a lesser than a hunter born. She smiled as she stroked his hair.”

Behind him was Kall Kall, speaking to him, plainly and informatively, of all the failures and disasters that were striking their tribe because of his leadership. “The fire has joined with the rain and is burning the life out of all the villagers. Meanwhile a strong wind has gobbled up the children, and because you decided to stay to watch Luna greet Sol (stay up all night) mothers are now forced to eat their children due to hunger. Beasts of all designs are attacking and because you ate the vegetable before the meat item in your last meal, illness has taken your family.”

“Stop!” he yelled at Speaker Kalli, “This is all your fault! You are supposed to tell me what to do!”

“Your choice of words was poor, more will die before the changing of seasons now.”

He felt a desire to snarl at her, he wanted to become one with the beasts and pounce at the opening of his chiefly tent. Instantly the Chiefly Pretender Lutho looked around, he was hoping his friends were beside him, Sho and Morn. Were they of their rank that they set to achieve?

They were there, but not by his side, they were playing a game with sticks, with one another and ignoring his plight.

“Fetch me the Wisemen! I must have console!” Lutho screamed at Kalli.

Instantly a series of ants walked into his hand.

“These ants are all that are left of the Wisemen.”

Lutho wanted to cry, but there was no room for tears of the Chief. There were tears though. The sound of sniffling. A voice accompanied it, “It is alright, You do not have to cry.” It was not Lutho who was crying. The tears came from Speaker Kalli’s direction. She however had a face as dry as the earth beneath Lutho’s feet.

With each passing moment, the lucidity and vividness of the dream faded in favor of realism. Lutho, moments ago knew this to be a dream, not a nightmare, just an unpleasant touch on his fear of leading others. Now, the ants on his arm felt real. His arm hairs tingled with each crawl. They looked to him, and he could almost see faces within. The realization that this dream had become a living world shocked him. His toes cringed and he felt the scrapping of the small sand fragments dig into his skin and beneath his toe nails.

Everything had stopped, he was in control now. “Ants, my friends, please get off.” They instantly knew what was transpiring, they froze. He comforted them, “no harm shall befall you, I will not swat a single one of you.” They nodded and disappeared into dust.

“By the spirits…” Lutho looked in wonder as he was of the power to shape the world around him. “Kall-Kall, move aside.” He had ordered it, and she instantly moved, revealing a blinding light.

They both knew, they both felt one another.

“You who cry, who are you?”

No answer.

“Why…are you in my dream?”

The figure in the blinding light sobbed. “I cannot dream, I have not been able to dream since I died.”

Lutho put out his hand, “So, did you enjoy that little show? Had I known that a spirit would be guest in my thoughts, I would have chosen a nicer dream.”

“They are mean to you. I mean the people that you surround yourself with. I mean, these are your people, right?”

“Will you let me see your face?”

“No.”

“I am…”

There was silence, a ray of light had split the tent and instantly all the figures vanished minus the two souls sharing this realm. They were surrounded by green trees and a view that only paradise could give.

The sobbing figure spoke, “I sense someone is looking for you Lutho. He is a friend, a good friend.”

The chirping of birds and happy sounds gave way to a true moments peace. As if a magic had overcome her, Sy looked to the sky and smiled. Lutho could sense she was unaware that he could see her, but he loved the way her hair was reflected by the beam of light. Her nose spoke volumes, it had a perfect curve at the tip and the light crescented. Lutho realized that her soul looked different than her true self, or rather there was something else.

She no longer looked like a member of his tribe. That was the truth of the light. In this world, all looked relative to him, but her features were a lie, until this moment.

Sy basked in the light and he knew her time was up.

“Sy, you lied to me!”

Sy briefly looked at him in shock.

Lutho smiled to her hoping to say one last word, “You are beautiful.”

The girl, with pure black hair, eyes with smooth curved, skin like Luna, and a nose shaped by Sol, just gave him one last look and disappeared.

Dreams mean something, and he realized this meant, as long as he could hear the chirping of the birds, that it was time he woke up and fought the day, whatever death it might bring.

 

The fiction of fantasy faded quickly as darkness rose. The land of noise ceased to breath and Lutho found himself awake. His hand pressed against the cold cruel flooring of the cell. His eyes were greeted by both light, and a tragic vision of isolationism. He instantly was forced to remember where he was. This was a prison where he awaited judgement which could decide his forever fate. His eye glanced to what light pressed from the outside. The non existing Sol was bringing in energy.

Unlike his dream, there were no birds chirping, no sounds of nature. An eerie quiet greeted him, or so he allowed himself to think. Then he realized there was a sound, perhaps a noise that had woken him up. The noise was a soft singing, or rather a soft cheerful whistling. His ear wanted to bend in the direction of the melody but his eyes tilted his head first. His neck muscles moved and when the object was finally inside the corner of his field of vision, his eyes did a final shift and zoomed in on that most interesting sound.

It was beautiful, and infront of him, Sy was nestling her head on Neva’s shoulder. Neva had cacoooned the human with an arm that extended these yellow feathers as if it was nothing more than a blanket made of wing. Neva made eye contact with Lutho. “So, you wake Lutho of the Speaker tribe.”

Lutho would have thought better to ask, but the tired still impaired his judgement, “Is she always so serene as she sleeps?”

Neva whistled, “So, I see how it is. Well you did not kill her as she sleeps, so that is one good point on you. Far more than I initially trusted on your kind.”

Sy playfully put her hand on Neva’s mouth, “Shush” she whispered.

Lutho allowed himself the revalation to hit him again, she looked different now than the previous night. The look was magical, so different in every way from the features of any human he had ever seen before, yet he knew her to be human. She was the very girl of his dream, black hair that absorbed all around it, pale skin that mocked the darkness of, and the perfect bend in her nose that hovered above her…

Neva knew Lutho was staring. Lutho knew Neva knew. “My apologies.”

“I see how it is, you males.”

Neva’s feathered arm blanket covered Sy tighter. Lutho realized what offense was taken, “I am sorry, I didn’t mean it like that. It is just she looks foreign to me, that is all.”

Sy slowly spoke, “Lutho of the Speaker Tribe, stop comparing my looks to what you are used to.” She wanted to cover her face, but the yawn building up inside her won first. A loud noise completely covered the room, and likely beyond. If this is how she yawns, Lutho shuddered the thought of what she would do when it came to battle. He even doubted if she really yawned or was calling on the spirits to curse him.

She smacked her lips here and there and then finally allowed herself to open her eyes and smile. This was the face Sy had when she was ready to tackle the day. Perhaps Lutho could recite a poem of this moment, but with the look Neva was giving him, perhaps not a good idea at this moment. He had a feeling between Nevah and Sy, one of them could read his mind and he was worried of offending them any further.

By now Sy had pushed Nevah’s arm blanket aside and used the reflection of the cage bars to see her hair was messed up from sleeping the night before. One small frizz stayed up as the rest of her hair had slowly started to settle down. She wiped over it, a miss, and three other times attending to other small parts of her hair. Lutho believed that because the bars produce a strange mirror effect that she must not be able to see what he saw on her.

Nevah herself was not too keen on saying something either. She just whistled for Sy to try again. And whistled, and whistled. “What is with that whistling, I am up already!” Sy was giving a strange look at her companion. The creature just closed her eyes tightly and sent a smile. Perhaps a strange code, unknown to him, but Sy looked just as confused. It was then that he realized that Nevah had not intention of telling her.

“Its your hair.” Lutho unexpectly yelled.

Her eyes went wide. It was that of a “how dare you embarrass me!” She shot evil at her companion and the companion laughed. He finally felt he understood what was going on between them. A sigh of relief was in order, the bird like creature was clearly a nice and friendly individual despite their initial meeting, and so to was Sy.

As if reading his thought, she giggled. “Did I say something funny?” Lutho enquired.

“You implied something about my hair. As you can see it is perfect.”  She flicked her hair.

“Very few things are perfect Sy of the no tribe.”

She seemed to take the hit a bit harsher than he would have thought. Her eyes ceased contact and her mind went insider her head, re-evaluating what was implied. Lutho made a mistake with his word choice.

“That was not what I mean!” He was quick to correct.

“I wasn’t offended by what you said,” she smiled, but it was a fake smile. He thought of saying more but did not know the ways of females enough to know how to wage a proper war in his honor for her. It was a better stratagem to change to subject to nicer things.

“The birds are…” He then realized there where no birds of which to speak of. There were no animals, just strange creatures of sorts. Sy had already looked back for a moment, perhaps thinking of something else when Nevah gained ground close to him to whisper in his ear. “She will be fine.”

There was then a pause. He had felt that this was some test, a challenge he was called upon, making friends with this person, in this place where he was not sure that he would be free to walk out of in the future. Right now, he wanted to take back the last moment and restart, perhaps then she would smile truthfully and not a polite façade.

She then half turned towards his way, Lutho being allowed to enjoy the crescent light of the tip of her nose. “You, the magic faded, did it not? I no longer appear to be one of your people, correct?”

He understood immediately. Earlier she looked like she could have been from his tribe but since that dream, no not a dream, a vision, she changed. It was as if there was a magic hiding her face, and it was now gone. “What magic do you speak of?” Lutho asked.

“All people, they speak the same language here, it is that of the soul, there is no dialect here. The same is true about apearances. A person can only really see one another as a member of their people.”

“So, you say, that I Lutho, Chief in Training of the Speakers, have pale skin, and dark absorbing hair, in your eyes?”

She looked surprised. “So, you can see me. I mean, me.” She pointed to herself then continued, “You actually know what I look like now. Somehow.”

“If what you say is true though, that means, you cannot see me.” Lutho pointed to himself, “What color eyes are mine?” He knew the answer, but when he heard the wrong color, with a strange monotone sounding eyebrows, he realized there was a barrier between them. “Do I atleast look normal among your people?” Lutho asked further.

“Too normal, although you do have a scar. That’s interesting.”

“Interesting?”

“Most of the people I know tend to get their scars doing stupid stuff, where you in a battle of sorts?”

Neva interrupted, “that is not a very polite question to ask, I mean he probably was doing something very bad when he did it.”

“I fell on a rock. Nothing interesting, a regular boy trips and falls kind of story.” Lutho began to wish there was a more interesting story to how he got the scar running down his face, but atleast it wasn’t too repulsive. However thinking about it did lead to an itch begin to form. He had no idea why it itched but he figured it was the spirits reminding him of the sins past. He found himself wanting to actually tell her the rest of the story, but this was offset by the stronger desire to never tell her the rest of the story.

He could almost feel the presence of the beast as he stared into its eyes. That was then, a life ago in another world, A door had opened above them. As they were in the dungeon, through the creaks in the ceiling and the hollowed chambers of the walls, they could hear everything if they knew where to listen and pay attention.

A strange voice, not that of the hulking beast the other day, “Who dares?”

“I do.” Another voice responded. It was familiar, and authoritive.

“The Thunderpeak Tribe have no authority here!”

A third voice came, “You dare speak to Prince Osa in that manor, have you forgotten all they have done for our folk in the past?”

Osa? Osa was here!? Lutho smiled, he let the comfort of the hard floor welcome him, he stared into the sky, realizing that he was going to be safe, that this temporary bad story was going to have a happy ending. He then looked to Neva and Sy, how would their story end? He allowed himself to wonder, perhaps not so well. He sensed encroaching doom on their cell.

Two rivers were bending and with the power of choice, he could pass on, leave them to the unkown destination, or they could merge. It was the weight of realizing the power of one.

She can become nothing, and Lutho would have no need to remember this random chance encounter. The strange dream he had, where she had somehow took a peak inside his world. Did they share a dream, or was it an illusion?

“Sy, did you share a dream with me?” Lutho asked.

His two new friends just looked at him with a strange look on their face.

“Is that possible? I was dreaming of horses and fine grass. What about you Neva?”

He didn’t listen to what Neva responded with, he found himself almost sad, that the spiritual experience of sharing a dream with another was nothing more than a mental fantasy. The first line that came to his lips, which he repelled, were the words, “Liar” but he believed those to be more of him wanting something so unique to be true.

“Can people even share dreams?” He asked.

“Animals do it all the time,” Neva responded, “but that’s because we have a heightened spiritual energy, you humans have a tight barrier keeping their souls in their bodies. It is very hard for a human to accept the open world beyond the physical. I heard in one or two cases of humans claiming such power, but I think that is a lie. Humans lie a lot you know.”

The sounds above were getting aggressive.

 

The Yong Wolf walked through two scary guards. He did not let their fearsome features bother him. It also helped that with his sense of smell, he knew the real fear was eminiating within them. It was a joyful boost to his ego. They knew who his father was, and while they may respect their father, he had to maintain a personal image worthy of being his son in order to keep the respect line going. He wanted to make sure that it was Osa they bowed to when they bowed to Osa, not the son of the Great Wolf.

The servant was following Osa, telling him things about the historical nature of the castle, things he already knew along time ago. It was their way of stalling him; not something he enjoyed. He felt like it was an insult but the way the servant was dancing around him, blurting trivial facts like a creature way past insane, it comforted him that this meant his time was precious.

“Let me cut to the chase, where is my companion. Where did you put Lal… I mean Lutho, the Chief in Training of the Speaker Tribe?” There was a group wide silence, the servant was looking nervous knowing that he had no way of misdirecting such a direct approach. The Servants mouth almost opened, like a twist appeared, but he censored himself. He clearly was smart enough not to make himself a bigger fool than his occupation required.

The two guards escorting Osa also looked dumbstruck. Osa was daring them to say something, it would please him for them to slip up in his presence, but he was also worried about Lutho, the human he swore he would protect. No more, he decided he would get answers from the lord of the castle himself. So Osa shoved his way and felt the guard on the left give into the weight of his arms. From there he passed the one on his right who stood too firm. Osa kept his pace as he made way out and through the upper halls.

The ancient castle floor creaked below his feet. He expected to feel a random hand grab him and tell him to stop, unfortunately the trio behind him were not audacious enough to touch royalty In that manor. Perhaps they were overly bred in respecting the hierarchy and taught that their worth was a bit too low to have a touch of daring nature.Two bullish looking guards stood firm flanking a great and wide door on the second floor. This was the King’s room.

“I demand that the King hold court as soon as possible. I am Osa of the Thunderpeak Tribe and I have come for the release of my companion.”

One of them, a being that would find home in the realm of nightmares looked down on the small creature infront of him. Osa was not one to acknowledge being intimidated. Disappointingly so, no smell of fear came from his obstical.

“The Thunderpeak tribe to not rule over this castle. I will not wake the lord for you. He sleeps and he deserves what sleep he wishes when he wishes. Is this such an emergency that warrants me waking him?” The fiendish creature let his hand play with the hilt of a blade, an overly protective and subliminally hostile sign.

Osa looked into the eyes of the one who just bested him, “Tell your Lord that I shall sit in the waiting room then, when he holds court, I demand that I be seen first. Is that understood?” He let a few extra fangs during certain vocabulary words, a subliminal message on his end of a challenge. Osa was not going to let an upstart think he was just bark.

“I will relay the message, I now must ask that your escort show you to the waiting area where court will later be held.”

“I shall also like to see the prisoner before hand. If I may be allowed the privelage for doing so.”

“And why should I grant this request?”

“While you may be a guard, you clearly can allow me access to the dungeon to speak some words.”

The fiendish one scratched his scalp. “What word do I have that you will try nothing?”

Osa pretended to look offended. “On what word? My family name will be the word, however if you need reason, I believe that my companion has n accuser against him, am I wrong? Does he stand accused of some infraction or another.”

The creature played with some saliva in his throat, almost seemingly wanting to spit in Osa’s direction, but was not bold enough to spit on the royal carpet beneath his feet. He swished it between his teeth than swallowed it down. Osa wanted to laugh at the threatening swag game the two were locked in.

“Yes, he does stand accused.”

“Then I wish to defend him and bear witness to his innocence.”

The being scratched his head again then looked like he wanted to smile, perhaps he was out of threatening gestures. Then he thought better of letting his guard down. With a strait and blunt answer, the creature told the wolf, “You will sit until you are called, that is all that will be further said on the matter, or you could come again around the mid day period. I leave that up to you.”

Osa was forced to settle for a solution he did not want and he made his way down the stairs with the escort of the gaurds and the overly talkative servant. The wolf sat down in a chair and as the morning passed he found that he was wishing that he could look around at his leisure. Every time the notion popped into his head, it seemed like a personification of the negative would come along and force him to rethink this.

Meanwhile below, in the cells, Lutho and the duo of Sy and Neva had begun shifting topics of conversation. Lutho found that Sy was very deflective of the questions asked of her, however she had attained a healthy interest in the tales of Lutho and his people. She was also very interested in hearing about the clothing and the way the housing was, and the stark contrast it was to her culture, which she naturally was deflective on when asked to her end.

The guards on watch were showing signs of pain in listening to the chatter of humans but Neva enjoyed the stories of the Speaker Tribe, especially how they had such reverence for the animals. Her fear, as she voiced once though, that there was such a strong hunter population among his people, and not many were attending to alternative food methods. Lutho just shrugged his shoulders.

Outside, in the King’s chambers, he was being awakened by the scent of something brewing in the air. A long day was ahead of him, two trials, and he wanted to be sure he had the faculties available to him to tackle the day. After being quickly informed that he had guests, he did a quick set of vocal challenges and then got himself ready to look Kingly to the folk he would play host to.

On his way down, his human advisor came upon him. “I think you should be careful. The human hunter has brought with him a guest who means to defend him. I fear that he will poison your ear. Have me send him away and you will not regret it.”

“And who is this individual?” The King asked.

The human stood silent, “That information I do not know.”

There was an ackward pause between the two. “So, you wish me to send him away, let the human stand for himself, is there also a judgement you wish me to cast?” The King was beginning to feel a strange connection between the small links. It was just the other night that they brought forth a strange visitor and locked him down below. Not long before that, a strange girl was born witness against and put to the cells bellow as well. For this reason the King was not so sure if it would be wise to prosecute two humans so soon from one another being that one human was a rarity, but standing infront of him was one, and there were two below.

While not a religious devout individual, the King was pretty sure there was some form of higher power, an individual in charge, and the rare coincidences were often intentional through some force. Because of the King’s position though, he stood firm on the religious beleifs of his people, that being the great spirit which all are born, but the King often found he did not have time personally to think through what he felt he believed.

When put to the thought that there were three humans, and potentially being put in the same room, gave him cause for great pause. If he was going to judge the charges against two of them, there would have to be some form of benevolence to make sure that this auspicious event was not going to suffer with a mistake of a result.

Had this been a different creature advising him, had there not been two humans, locked in the same room, he would have thought this situation differently. The King’s instinct was to go through formalities, a little extra effort on the motions, and come with a result that was the natural conclusion of the events leading up to it. The King decided, for this moment, that this would not be the case here. Every word, uttered by any inidivudual would have to be inspected and thought upon from the different possible perspectives.

“If I am to swallow poison for this, then let me. I will not deny justice. To do so would be to give up my power and the right to rule my subjects. Am I understood human?”

His advisor looked to him, then to the floor. The King felt a defeat in the mind of his advisor. He would take note of this for a further time to come. The advisor then looked the King in the eye, “I completely understand. I will respect your judgement, however I do ask you let me bear witness against him. Lives will be at stake.”

The King nodded, “Very well.”

 The human then spoke, “Thank you, I promise I will bring the truth to light.”

 

Lutho inhaled the smell of early morning meal. He had not been seen to for sustenance and it was making him jealouse seeing Sy and Neva receive some form of food. The Rhino from the previous night had personally brought that particular duo their morning meal. Lutho was out of luck. For whatever reason the Rhino insisted on presenting Lutho with hostility.

It did not exactly bug Lutho, however it was a unique experience seeing something so theoretically cruel in nature, almost seem to find a soft spot in another individual. It was when the Rhino had a specific spark in his eye, he realized that there was something in Sy that enticed sympathy from this beast.

“Eat well, the King has decided it would be wise to see your case tomorrow.” The Rhino then got his game face together, complete with menacing snout and eye squinting and moved to leave the chambers.

“Why tomorrow?” Neva asked.

The Rhino pointed to Lutho. Lutho felt the desire to fall on his back from the finger alone. “That one,” The Rhino started to say, “Today it will be decided if he lives or dies. The King does not wish to discuss two troubling cases in one day. He will therefore look to your situation on another day, when the blood from today’s hearing is no longer fresh on his hands.”

Sy walked to the bars, “Thank you. I will appreciate any generosity the King shows me. May I, in any way, ask for leanancy upon this person here?” She pointed to Lutho. He was still too scared to move. Death was not a welcoming thought at the moment. Being told, midway through the morning, that this might be his last day as a living soul was also troubling. He wasn’t sure how he felt about that.

“I do not believe the King will hear of such things. The accusation against him, it is far graver than what they wish to attach to your name.”

“What do they have against me?” Lutho asked this, but more than anything he wanted to yell it pleadingly. He wasnted to follow it with, “Why can’t I be let go?” and “ Why am I being held here,” and lastly, “ What have I done that was so wrong?” However with the harsh crueltly that he suffered from the Rhino the evening previous, he decided he was not going to allow that satisfaction. Instead he was finding himself wanting to dig into his own darkness.

Lutho was evil once. He felt the desire to growl. A voice wanted to speak from within. The creature in front of him was allowing no respect to be given, and the future Chief of his people would not allow that. Feel it, Lutho was thinking, feel what is inside. Feel it being directed at the beast.

The Rhino stared for a brief moment. He froze and stared into Lutho’s eyes.

In Lutho’s eyes were not that of a human. The beast inside was saying something. He was now standing erect, his head though lurched forward as if eying prey. The Rhino was not believing his eyes. It was as if the humans eye’s were slowing changing in shape, size and color. For whatever reason, Lutho then let out a smile, it was his will to live. He refused to die this day.

The Rhino did not see Lutho’s eyes anymore, they were now two bright yellow diamonds that hungered to devour him. A trickle of sweat, a muscle tense, and a gasp for breath. The Rhino looked away, having seen a creature more dominant than him in the chain of life. It looked to devour him without mercy.

By now, Lutho had closed his eyes and tensed up, he then let this tension build until, he sighed and let it all out. The beast was gone and rationality was in. The creature shook off the fear with a shake of its weight. It then thought to itself, what kind of hell lurked inside the youth. Rather than keep this game going, the Rhino walked away, muttering to himself, perhaps praying to whatever greater spirit, that he would never meet the youth again.

Lutho sat there, watching the two next to him go quiet. There was a morbid nature in the air and no one knew what the next few days would bring. To Lutho it was even worse, for he did not know what the next few moments would bring. Any second, he could sense a guard coming, calling his name, and then he would die. Perhaps his fate would be something different than death, but for every thought he could think of, none of it felt possible or real. The only thing that was real, was the hard floor that fought the weight of his legs, and the guard that would be coming any moment to take him away.

Time passed. Next to him, snoring from the girl. Lutho crept over a bit and asked, “is she…”

The bird nodded, “Yes. She is asleep. Perhaps for the best.”

He was left to wonder, in the silence, if this would be the last time he would get the pleasure of looking at her void colored hair. In it, he could see the abyss. Shame, he would never get to touch it. He chided himself for such a mental comment. He had better things to do with his last moments in this insane world than worry about the feel of some strange tribe girls hair.

A look up to the bird watching over her, and he realized she probably knew exactly what he was thinking. He felt all the more guilty.

“She told me, she doesn’t dream. Then how is it she looks so peacefull?”

Neva smiled, “Even I do not know that answer Lutho. There is much I know. As your friend can smell change in the breeze, I can communicate with the trees and sky. I see your destiny Lutho, as I see her’s. The problem is, she knows her destiny. That is why she is here. I shall tell her you said goodbye when she wakes.”

Neva then got onto her knees, and bowed as low as she could and continued, “It was a pleasure for the both of us to meet you. What time was had, has brought us joy.”

Lutho did not realize but as that sentenced ended, it was evening. He had no idea how, or through what magic, but a darkness fell on the entire cell.

He looked into one on Neva’s eyes, and her voice came to him, without her lips moving. “It is time Lutho. A great spirit watches over you but you must face your demon.”

Above was a loud clanging. Two brutish figures came barging in, not a single obstical slowed their momentum. They were designed of purpose and Lutho’s heart shrank. He knew they were after him and the bars would not keep him safe. He looked to Neva and Sy. Neva nodded. Sy, briefly opened one of her eyes, and the moment of contact was lost when he felt his body fall forward and then all was dark.

 

The trial had been the talk of the town. Human were a rare item, and rarer as entertainment. Now, three humans had been the buzz and the creatures of all walk wanted to confirm this insanity with their own eyes. The news was thus, a human, was leading the case against another, the charge was that he allegedly entered this world to hunt and kill others. The thought of one of these monsters being allowed to run amok among the folk was shattering.

Kids talked gleefully, parents worried of the times, and few had pondered of the rare humans they came across with in their lives. As the non sun set, they flocked their way into the castle courtyard where they were unable to invade anymore. Guards had been put on all spots and the spectators were reduced to natural formations, a sea of faces, all walks of life; the carpe dium and the nocturnal.

“My brethren!” A voice rang out. The spectators instantly looked up. It was the King’s messenger. “We need you all to be orderly. The trial shall commence soon enough.”

Meanwhile, inside the castle, the King looked out from his window. “Who had the idea to make this a public event?”

The Human advisor came in. “The word got around town faster than we could quell it. I was told by two others that it would be wise to change the schedual for the evening, where all could enjoy the spectacle, this way the community would feel involved.”

A curious eye fell upon the human.

“You are both just children, are you sure you wish to be the one to charge him?”

“Our two tribes have history. I cannot allow him to attempt crimes without me being there to stand against him.”

The King put his paw on the youths shoulder, “Quell your rivalry. Do not quell your rival.” As the human wondered what these words meant, the king patted him on the back, his blessing to procede with his plans.

“Thank you,” Said the human.

“After this evening, you are discharged from your requirements.”

The human looked surprised. The King continued, “I was told that a Speaker of the Night would show himself to my village, but lately we have been overwhelmed. I thank you for your insight and your volunteer service.”

The King left and an entourage seemingly magicly formed around him as he left the room. Bask allowed his lip to curl and contort quizzically. If there was any hidden meaning behind what was going on in the kings mind, he could not comprehend. It did not matter, and he would not let it matter; by the time the morning non sun came up, he will have bloodied his hands and killed his mortal enemy. Then, and only then, would Bask be allowed to wake up a true warrior of his people.

The stone floor beneath him spoke aloud his murderous thoughts. The loneliness maginified his insecurity. He longed to be surrounded by his people, worthy of their praises. When he would die, he would hear them sing songs of his cunning in the afterworld.

As his foot touched the final cold stone beneath the stairs, a friend welcomed him.

“Master Warrior Bask.” It greeted him.

Young Bask smiled.

His coyote companion Mishta smiled.

“Our time has come. Make the preparations. With the future Speaker of the Night dead, we leave.”

 

The time had come. Lutho’s bag was ripped off and he saw himself amid a field of grass blades and walls. Behind him, he could hear the never-ending audibles of those behind him. From what his mind could gather, he never could comprehend so many folk being centralized in one location. The mere thought of such an organization made him wonder if the universe would collapse on its own weight.

Lutho turned around for a brief moment. Sure enough his sight was astounded. If he was to be chief of his people, best he experience such things that he would not believe now, than comprehend them while in power. Lutho felt his mind wanted to compose a poem of the moments rare majesty but a voice interrupted his thoughts.

“Before you stands a hunter! A cruel beast of a man!”

The crowd gaped and awed. “Look mom, there is another one!”              A child’s voice rang out. It caught Lutho’s ear and he immediately gave all his attention to the figure speaking.

Sy and Neva told Lutho that there is a magic that guards the physical features of people from different tribes. It is the same magic that all language sounds as one in this world. Lutho understood when he saw Sy for her real features, and not that as a girl from his village. However, for whatever reason, Lutho did not see a person who resembled a member of the Speaker of the Night tribe. He saw it in the white sash that the boy wore. The white stripes that gathered on the left side of his cheek. The boy had a skin a semi tone darker than his, and his hair was a bit thicker and dark. Lutho understood all these meanings and he knew, gutwrenchingly so who this person was.

Beneath his breath, all Lutho could say was, “White Dog.”

The White Dog Tribe hadn’t been seen or heard from in generations. There was time when he believed them to be a myth. All they had to go on were paintings and murals drawn by the more ancient ancestors of times back. Each step his enemy took towards him, felt like more sand was being poured into his eye. He lived, he breathed, Lutho’s enemy was real.

For the first time since the wars past, the two tribes had encountered one another and Lutho was now at staring distance. They sized each other up and came to take all facts into account. They had about the same height, but the White Dog boy had more hair. It was scruffy style and went down further. Lutho’s hair was more stylized.

“I’m stronger than you.” The other one huffed at him.

“You have a thin nose.” Lutho retorted.

“You have dots on your face.”

“Your eyes lack color.”

“Your hands look clean… you clearly never hunted before.”

“Your hair looks unwashed. You might attract more bugs than I.”

The White Dog Tribe member smiled. “So, the Speaker of the Night tribe is filled with a bunch of people who stay in their huts and can only gather from the fruits of trees.”

“You are so busy hunting that your people lost communication with the spirits of nature.”

“Liar!” The White Dog yelled. The folk behind, unable to hear their conversation in context heard those words all too well. They began to murmur feeling that there was something they were missing out on.

“When was the last time you spoke to Luna, or even Sol?”

He stopped and laughed to himself. “We don’t need to, we have our ways, as I am sure your pathetic tribe have yours.”

“If that is so, then may I ask, why are you here infront of me?” Lutho took one last look around. He felt the stare of every being on the two of them. Only now did he realize this was not just a conversation, but a battle with a history that even these folk could not understand. He knew that even he, himself, lacked the awareness to understand the full significance. The two of them, were nothing more than toys to the fates, dancing down the paths, saying the words spoken to them, and responding to the children that control them.

The two instantly stopped talking. Lutho appeared into his antagonist’s eyes and tried to see the person behind the face. A twitch of an eye, a slight tick with the lip, or a change of glance, they reveal all. Lutho was then certain that had the situation been reversed, this child would be fighting for his life, and the desire to go back home just as much as he.

“My name is Bask.” For whatever reason fit the mood, Bask introduced himself half formally to Lutho.

He wasn’t sure how to respond. The person wanting his death, seemingly reached out to him as a fellow being. Lutho felt like this was some form of a trap, however he too responded, “I am Lutho.”

Bask smiled evily and then Lutho know what this meant. Now that they were introduced to one another, the blood game could begin. Bask took a step back and a new persona emerged; one of evil and divine punishment. He could feel the anger of the White Dog tribe from countless centuries ago waiting to be unleashed upon him. Lutho mentally braced himself hoping to stand against the flurry against him.

“Speaker of the Night Member Lutho!” Bask had begun his speech, “ You are charged with the intent to commit cruel murder upon the populace of this humble village. You look to hide behind the weight of your tribe while you and your ilk plan great evils in the land of the spirit. You, person of the other world, are a monster and a plague to these folk!”

Instantly murmers began to grow out of the audience. They had begun to talk amongst themselves and some of the children felt the urge to be a bit too verbal for comfort at the human on trial. Parents felt the need to cover their kids one way or another, some to protect the children from the monster, others to protect the kids from themselves.

Lutho gave a look back and that small action caused a great reaction. He never believed a simple glance could have that much effect on those around him. It was here he realized that he was nothing more than a spectacle. The crowd had become children prodding an injured snake, seeing how it would move. He did not like this feeling, in fact, a slight urge of wanting to curse the crowd had come over him but it was mostly just nerves.

The two humans began a new stare down as the other kept talking and applying the psychological pressure on Lutho. “What do you have to say to these charges that the village has brought against you!?” It was less of a question and more of a proclamation. Lutho could see that he was enjoying this dance, like a child who embellishes his pain for the attention of the mother.

“I…” Lutho started but realized he could not find any words to say. His heart was pounding and incomplete sentences were forming in his brain. His right hand had begun to shake to a miniscule degree. The left knee wanted to cave in under his weight. Lutho stopped himself and said to a whisper, “just say the words you need to say.” He heard the silence then looked his enemy in the eye.

“Bask!” He yelled, “You and your people are a threat to all. You took from us forests full of life, you slaughtered our children and ancestors. You declared the great spirits to be villians, and your tribe kills for fun. What are you here for? What is your purpose in the world of spirits!?”

Bask almost fell backwards at having his own energy turned against him. His lip turned crooked to the side. Lutho smiled, a small victory, he had put him off his guard. The child was being deprived of his attention. Bask had turned around, he instantly begun thinking of how he would regain his momentum. In an instant, he returned back to the same poise he had previously.

“You are accused, you do not have the right to question me…”

Pulling rank for all the evil reasons, “I am going to be Chief of my people, I have every right to question a commoner such as you!”

There were gasps to such degree and Bask’s face shot darkness. He had begun to stutter at this revelation, “Chief?” he weakly tried to confirm. Meanwhile Lutho could feel this rush of power. His bitterness was growing over this fool in front of him. Lutho began to rationalize the degredating of the individual infront of him as if he believed what he said.

Bask closed his eyes and let the stress go with the exhale. He was in control and he knew as long as he was in control, Lutho, the future Chief of his enemy’s tribe had no power. “Lutho, you are charged with a crime that I must ask you be put to death to, depending on how you answer, I am certain the king will grant my request that you die. How do you respond to the charges that are brought against you?”

“I have nothing to say to you.”

“Then guards, I must command you to execute this child before this audience now.” The attack was subtle yet strong. Bask called Lutho a child, demeaned him of any ability to defend himself other than an answer.

Lutho looked around, and saw the Rhino guard looking at him. The look this time coming from the Rhino was different. Pity perhaps? Why? What had he done that would make the Rhino guard not want to cause harm to him. He was certain the Rhino had disliked his existence from their first meeting. To the left  of the Rhino, with some weapon was a strange creature he had never seen before nor did it remind him of anything he had ever seen. The stranger had less emotion in his face and was willing to execute any command given to him.

“I demand to speak with the King!” Lutho said. I wish to hear the judgment from his lips and to present my argument infront of him. He no doubt knows the history of my people and know that we have a peaceful relationship.

Bask simply reuttered the command, “Kill him now.”

The Rhino paused while the other one got his weapon ready. The cries of children and women not ready to see bloodshed were heard and Lutho still did not believe the result of this reality. It was when he looked into the eyes of Bask did he understand all. This was the design. This was not a trial, this was a public execution.

“Halt this farce!” A loud booming voice howled over the audience. Instantly the guards both stopped. The crowd parted instantly, without saying a word. Clearly an important figure had stopped this legal public murder.  Bask looked dumbfounded. He wanted to say something but was shocked as he no longer had any control or power over anything.

“I said kill him now!”

The guards did not move. They instantly got to their knees to bow to whoever had begun to part the crowd. One voice was heard, a child from the audience, “Look mom it’s…” and then the child was silenced by a mother who told him it was impolite. Lutho was waiting impatient to see the face of his savior, he had no idea who it could be.

Osa finished walking and they all had bowed to him. “I said stop this farce. I hereby request an immediate audience with the King.”

“You have no power over here pup!” Bask responded.

Lutho was just shocked at the response Osa had commanded of the people.

“I am Osa, Prince of the Thunderpeak tribe! I come to invoke the truce of our ancestors, The king shall show himself!”

Prince…Osa? Lutho just could not contain the weight of this revelation. “Why didn’t you tell me you were a Prince! I think if I am going to live with you, I should know who you are...” Osa just smiled, a slight embarrassment smile, one that hinted the desire to never reveal his noble heritage.

“I said, you do not have the power, to do so!” Bask was whining, not understanding why this pup could overthrow his rule.

Osa walked up to Bask and whispered in his ear, “As long as there is an audience of people, no one would dare allow the King to refuse my request. Your public spectacle is why you have failed your task.” Lutho saw Bask clench his fist.

“I give you my promise wolf, I will kill this one.” Bask then looked to Lutho. Lutho did not want to look helpless so he hid any emotion or any thought. The face in response was an intense deep stare. Bask smiled.

The trio of them shared a moment of silence. Lutho was wondering what fate attached him to Osa. Osa was thinking of what his next trick would be because he knew that any chance for them to have a peaceful adventure was now non existence. Bask simply was enjoying the chance of changing his game strategy. He was not one to give up so easily.

The king then descended from his castle. He walked with an entire entourage, his cape dragging more dirt than it should. Instantly a new round of bowing commenced while the three debators stood still in their pose. They would not allow their attention to be taken from some outside source. It was when the King spoke that they broke the gaze.

Lutho was the first to bow. He above all those present knew the dance of respect and the benefits of. “My King.” He had said, as he bowed and the King was shocked by the overly curtious gesture.

“I have been told you are a chief of your people?” The King asked.

Lutho humbly shook his head, “No, I am training to be the Chief of my people, which is why I believe I am here. Other than that task, I do not know exactly why I have been drawn here.” The King patted Lutho on the shoulder. There was a mutual understanding between the two perhaps. Lutho was not sure.

“I hope what has happened between us does not linger ill for future generations.”

Osa spoke up quickly and arrogantly. “Your lord, your human servant has brought false charges against this person and as such, he was almost put to death.”

Whispering venom, “These charges are not false!” Bask added.

Osa then finally bowed, “He follows under my rule. Lutho, Chief in Training of the Speakers of the Night Tribe is protected by the Thunderpeak Tribe. I vouch for his innocence. Instead, he was kidnapped against his will and filed false charges.

There was a pause again, and Bask was watching in horror as his perfect stratagem was running away from him. The King had a benevolent look to him, one of forgiveness and moderation, not one seeking justice nor commanding authority. Bask did not wait to hear the verdict when he gave up.

“Very well,” The king began as he then yelled to the audience his verdict. “There are no charges brought against this person. The Speaker Tribe have a rich cooperative history with our lands and I will not go against them, nor the noble Thunderpeak tribe. Both tribes bring forth good and noble natures that I have no room to doubt the nature of the charged.”

He then looked Lutho in the eye and smiled, “You are free to go. You have my apologies.”

Osa walked and put his arm around Lutho’s “Let’s go, we are unsafe until we stand under the roof of my home. We are in great peril.”



© 2012 Daniel Rodriguez


Author's Note

Daniel Rodriguez
Havent really had the time to edit this. so i am sorry for any errors in the text.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
Added on September 11, 2012
Last Updated on September 11, 2012


Author

Daniel Rodriguez
Daniel Rodriguez

Phoenix, AZ



About
Hello, my name is Daniel Antonio Rodriguez and I am a wannabe writer. I am 27 years old and have been actively writing for the past 12-13 years. I enjoy writing scripts and breaking out into niche gen.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez