A Tale of Two Siblings pt 1

A Tale of Two Siblings pt 1

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez
"

Lutho has made his choice, and prepares to escort his companions on a great adventure, ahead though a storm aproaches in which Lutho will be forced to participate in a conflict bigger than him.

"

PART 1

 

A voice came calling in the wind. It was a dark protector. It spoke in a language beyond words and meaning. Love, fury, they coincided as lyrics and harmony.

A spear was hurtling towards Lutho. His life flashed before his eyes as the point pierced the wall infront of him. Fear had seized Lutho and now he knew what Osa meant that they were not safe. He had been conspired against and this was the proof of the dark meetings. The boy shifted his eyes as quickly as he could but the rest of his head would not move. He met Bask eye to eye and then felt nothing but dark whiteness take him.

These were the such events that had led him to this stange plane. It was a plateau that overlooked a shaded forrest. The wind was blowing on him to walk towards the ledge and for what ever reason that was beyond his own, his body allowed it.

It was here he heard the voice. It was one he heard before but could not remember. All it did was say his name, and Lutho was in amazement. Instantly he began looking around wondering where could such a voice come from. Had he died? Was he mad? How could he here such a thing in this vacant plateau. He remembered well the spear that had hurdled towards him, announcing that there was one who willed his death. Now he was here, an afterlife?

“Lutho.” It repeated his name, but yet it spoke of no language he could understand. There were no sounds, but he knew in his soul his name had been spoken.

“Who is there?”

In the distance he saw a giant sillouette of a wolf beast. Not like any he had seen before, this was a great spirit, one Kal Kal had told him of. He could not see its features just the hint of its fure, and the size of mountains and clouds that it could cover.

“Is this how I die? One with the spirit of the wolf? Have you come to devour me oh great spirit?”

“Your Speaker gives you great credity my young pup. She has sent her strongest guardian to watch over you, but ultimately even the great eagle cannot determine your path. This is a road in which you must walk. You decide the destination.”

Lutho felt himself want to get angry. “Wolf Spirit, if you know so much about me being here, and the nature of Kal Kal’s spirit, what am I doing here? Why have I not awaken like the others? What is my goal?”

“I see…” it started to say.

Lutho looked around, was someone else here?

“I am not dead, right?” Lutho asked.

“You ponder the fate of others my young pup, yet you are scared to choose your own.”

Aparently they were speaking of two different conversations, one that Lutho was allowing to take place, the other in Lutho’s soul. Sy, he kept thinking her name. He kept picturing her sleeping. She was like him, she had no direction, awaited whatever fate would give her.

The wind continued, “Her sleep is unnatural. She does not belong in this world, her kind rarely do. Her journey, it lies to the land where the non sun sets.”

“Will Sy make it there? Will she be safe?”

Instantly the image of the great wolf disappeared. Clouds began to form and the earth began to tremble. Lutho could feel the tremors but his legs stood firm, his eyes not showing a hint of fear. The light from Sol was dimming and the clouds took a brightness that glowed an ancient power. Lighting revealed itself and slamed infront of Lutho.

As the lightning shifted, subsided, and the thunder died, Lutho was face to face with his own beastly form. This was the fire inside him, the fire manifesting itself as the destructive force he knew he hid well. Shame grew in his soul to look on his own ugly form, that of a man beast but the creature infront of him stood with an enlightened arrogance that spoke the path of light, not fire.

“You wish to find these answers and forsake your own quest.” It had spoken to him In his tribal language, not the language of the soul.

“I do not forsake my quest.”

“You wish to be responsible for another life. Would you pledge to do so?”

Lutho thought on the weight of this question.

“Give me the chance, and I shall see her to safety that she awakes. I promise to escort her to her destination.”

The creature smiled. “It is a heavy burden.”

Lutho went to touch the creature to see if his own image was real, and when he came into contact, it disappeared inside him. The voice of the great wolf returned. “You have made your choice. May your travels be safe.”

 

Osa looked at Lutho, clearly out of ideas. He was back in this world; the world with the crazy folk who wanted to commit crazy deeds. Lutho instantly grabbed the spear and unhurled it from the wall.  He pointed it at Bask, who was staring down at him. Lutho began to wonder if Bask had another weapon on him, if not, then this would be the perfect chance to end this game of chase.

Unfortunately Bask went for his second weapon, he had  a group of throwing spears. Lutho hadn’t expected this nor did he have a second plan in mind. There was a giant tug and Osa was now leading the way. They turned the corner of a building and ran down the space between two others. Bask casted his shadow down this alley. Ahead was a right path and a left path, if they could turn before he turned, they might be able to lose him in this strange vast place.

On the other side a new figure was waiting for them.

“Stupid mutt,” Osa muttered. Lutho got a brief look at this thin albeit lengthy beast. It looked like it could have a relation to Osa and his ilk but where Osa had a majesty to him, this creature looked wild, untamed and rabid. The two stopped infront of him. Osa showing the most hostility.

“Out of my way Coyote!”

“You have a lot of bark for a pup. I don’t care who your family is from, I will not budge,” It has begun to say, but then Mishta switched his entire speech into, “Bask, they are over here!”

Lutho now understood the two of them were together and he and Osa were on the run. They could not stand and fight. The villainous duo surrounded the heroic two and they began to enclose on them.

“Good work Mishta. Now we end this and I can wake up.”

Lutho backed up a bit here, and a step there. His lips became breath distance to Osa’s left ear, his body facing the other way. He could hear Osa’s breathing heavily. “Follow my lead, keep up. We have a small chance.” Osa’s breathing slowed, a non verbal understanding. The boy knew that Osa was putting his trust in this person. Lutho allowed his hand to brush against and light slap Osa’s elbow. Everything would be alright, he would stand by his side.

With a yell, Lutho grabbed the spear with animal eyes looked down into the soul of Bask. Bask let instinct take over and mover to counter the maniacle look of Lutho. However Lutho just turned towards Mishta. Mishta saw it. Lutho made a split decision choice to the point, left or right. He threw the spear a little left of Mishta. As Mishta got out of the way, Lutho and Osa darted for the opening with all their speed.

Osa with all the gall he possessed, sent a wild foot towards Mishta’s ankle, tripping him in the process as they made their escape.

The chase began anew in the streets. They dodged left and right, tried to weave through crowds of folk, to losing them in the vacant streets. Lutho couldn’t understand why the onlookers could find no room to move and stop the madness but then saw that the guards themselves were not moving either. He wanted to scream for help, but Osa kept moving them towards his mansion, more and more.

When he thought they had evaded one, the other would show and give away their position. It was when they were near the entrance of the mansion that they knew their sanctuary was no more. Mishta was there, guarding the entrance, their safety had been cut off.

Lutho found them running into a pitch black alley. His body was not as fast as it was used to being. His ability to play chase was gone. The adrenaline was not enough to substain him like it once had. The zest to live and the war against fear was not strong. Osa was probably feeling the same thing. The pup just looked to him and said, “they are coming.”

No sooner had Osa spoke that two figures, garbed in black, grabbed them from the shadows. Lutho felt a giant tug on his head, and his legs cave in as he was dragged backwards. He could not speak as his mouth was soon covered. His companion was also not making a single sound but a brief muffle followed by silence. Defeated, Lutho looked up, and backwards, to see who was the figure holding him in the depths of darkness.

Sy smiled at Lutho. She was wearing a cloak over her head, but he could see clearly into her eyes. They hypnotized him and she just put a finger to her lips. The universal sign for keeping quiet. “They went this way!” Bask’s horrific voice was yelling orders to Mishta. The two were coming closer. Instantly he felt his heart beat faster and faster but found himself unable to move.

She just smiled and patted his head. The two figures darted across the alley way, not spotting them, nor making eye contact with them. Lutho felt his body go tense, then limp. To the corner of his eye, Neva was holding onto Osa. His companion looking more annoyed at being immobilized by another individual against his will.

Time had passed. Neva was the first to loosen her grip over the other’s mouth. Far away they could hear the noises of the two hunters. Apparently they had lost their ideals of being subtle a few hunts back. Sy let go and before any of them could talk, the group of them began to walk in the complete opposite direction of the angry voices.

Sy and Neva led the way for the moment, Lutho not knowing where they were going, but he did not care, as long as they were all safe. Greeting them at the end of their maze of a journey was another hooded figure. Lutho could see the tup of the Rhino’s horn.

“Is that them?” The Rhino asked.

He was guarding a strange wagon that held in it a covered top. One could not be able to see into it if they tried. It had on it, two doors that would allow the passanger inside access. Osa was back to mumbling under his breath.

“Yes, this is them.” Sy smiled, “I am glad you were able to get out of that scary moment. I was worried we would miss our opportunity to see one another. Get in. This should take us out of town, unless the two of you want to stay under the rule of that tyrant hunting you.”

“I like your offer.” Lutho responded, “Osa?”

Osa nodded, “Staying locked in my house would accomplish nothing, plus I always have been of an adventurous nature. A good excuse for a escape as ever I heard.” Osa looked at the area curiously then he began to sniff around. “Smells safe.”

The door opened and Lutho felt the area around him get crowded with familiar faces, he looked out and saw the rising of the non sun. Osa sat to his flank, as if trying to protect him, Neva and Sy got in. The Rhino looked at all of them one time then closed the door and locked them in.

Sy broke the silence, “I hear this is their idea of luxury.”

With that statement they heard a huff and puff as the cart began to move. Lutho and Sy moved to the front portion to look out, and there, The Rhino was pulling the cart. He appeared to be a beast within his element and that despite the sheer size and weight of the cart, the huff and puff he exhorted showed his indomitable strength. This chore was no great task for him.

“Ahem,” Lutho looked as Neva was being squeezed against the wall. Lutho had forgotten she even existed as he squeezed into the middle. His parents taught him better and he immediately apologized. The trio of others were staring at him until he found the will to get back into the seat where he belonged. There was another silence that followed as the creaks and machinations below went on.

Outside they were able to watch the lights dim on the flames and the houses and projects seemed to get more spread out as they went on. The time seemed to pass but the silence was magnified more so perhaps by the unwritten rule that if they spoke aloud, they might be overheard by their pursuers. In an odd way, Lutho felt like he enjoyed the silent company more. He took a glance off Sy’s face, still surprised to be spending more time with her when moments ago he was at the edge of the blade. She had a smile on her face, he couldn’t understand why, it was not the same smile she held in the prison.

Finally there was a final set of houses and after that, abyss. The rest of the world laid beyond it, and the road split into two paths. The Rhino in the front had came to a stop and the ride was over. There was some grunting noises and the door opened.

One by one they filed out of the cart and onto land. Sy and Neva took off their cloaks and revealed street outfits of different cultures, also not like those clothes they wore in jail. “I have done all I could. There is a great mystic in the West. He will be able to find what ales you and keeps your soul in this plane. If you see him, surely he will be able to take care of you.”

Sy thanked the Rhino, “You have done me great honor in going out of your way for me. And I thank you for allowing us to rescue these two, but what of the King? Will he be mad that you helped us escape?”

The Rhino chuckled, “He is more glad to be rid of you. You provided him with a complex puzzle, and that White Dog member perhaps would also have turned on you and wanted to see you dead as well.”

Lutho raised an eyebrow, “So why did you help us?”

“Because, Sy told me you were her friend. I also see something in you.” The Rhino then went to whisper distance, “I am aware of your oath and desire to protect her. I leave her in your hands.”

The oath, Lutho remembered it. He thought for some reason that it was perhaps a flash of insanity before he met his end. The great wolf spirit was his imagination manifesting a wanting to see a human face one last time before he was to die.

The Rhino was on his way to leave with the carriage and the four figures were watching as he left, a remnant of their last adventure. The city was dead to them, their purpose gone. Ahead of them was the next leg in their journey. A mystic, to the West. That was what the Rhino said.

“You know, his family was killed.”

Lutho looked at Osa. Sy also turned her head, “How did you know?”

Osa then turned his attention to the young girl, “Because, I was there. Your spirit reminds him of his daughter. He blames himself for what happened to her. I believe he would have sacrificed his life for you.”

Sy nodded, “When he heard about how Lutho was treated during the trial, he decided it would be best for me to escape rather than face the same cruel fate. After the trial he walked in, told me about his family and that he would atone for having not been there for them in times past. He opened the gate and gave us two cloaks to hide our features. From there, we went strait to look for you.”

There was a smile on Lutho’s face, feeling someone think about him in such consideration. “That was very thoughtful of both of you.”  He then laughed when he heard Neva coo a whistle in response for the kind sentiment. However she wasn’t expecting a laugh in response and looked at both the boys with a curious look.

Sy let a laugh slip as well. “I am sorry my dear companion but that look suits you too well.”  

A rush of wind joined their faces, it as a cool wind, that at any other moment, might have been painful to endure, but at this moment, it was the wind felt by those who were alive, those who had a tomorrow ahead of them. The non sun had not begun to rise yet, and there as a vast flatland ahead of them, with mountains to the distance. The travel to their next destination was clear, and the silence welcomed the unknown. Their adventure started now.

 

The clouds began to form eerily as the light began to focus. They had been walking for some untold time. Osa was busy counting his left and his right as he made each move. “Its not that I am not used to long distances. Twice a cycle, I would have to make the trip from northern mountains down to the city but even then, we had a destination.”

“We do have a destination, right Sy?” Lutho asked.

“Do all males from your culture complain so much?”

“I am not complaining!” Lutho interjected.

Osa was also quick to respond, “Royalty never complains!”

A whistling sound was formed and trio of companions looked to Neva. “You are royalty?” the bird charged. Before Osa could respond, Sy felt this urge to hug him, “But he is so small and cute!”

The wolf pup growled his dissatisfaction. Lutho patted Osa’s head, “He is soft too!” Betrayed, Osa buried his shame. Stealthfully, he sent a hidden elbow into Lutho, a special thanks. Lutho cringed for a second, then stopped touching his head. The word “victory” flashed in Osa’s head. Now if he could only get the human girl off his back.

“So tell me about your tribe, Sy. I would love to know what pale skin dark haired folk do for a living.” She stopped walking. Neva, upon realizing Sy wasn’t moving, stopped to. Lutho and Osa began to slow down and turned back. Sy then put on a brave smile and started to keep up her pace.

“Our people, they are very proud folk. They like to fight, and like to whine without whining.”

Osa’s ear turned up curoiously, “How is that possible?”

“The men, are walking contradictions, but not all of them, just enough. Everything to them is a contest. And us girls, our job is to smile, nod our heads and encourage their stupidity.”

The bird also complimented this, “She isn’t half wrong. From what I have seen, there is a strength of people having a place, and they fight to keep it. It is not so strange though. A good guy could provide for a swarm of men, women, and children. It is amazing to see what these people can do.”

Osa, feeling that Neva was considering her life domain higher than his, felt the need to respond. “So, Lutho’s people do the same thing. Inface Lutho is going to be the ruler of his people. When he wakes, all that he surveys will bow to him!”

“Thank you,” Lutho said darkly at Osa. It as only then that the pup realized what a mistake he made. He huffed it off. As he walked on for a few steps more, he noticed what he said of Lutho caught a special ear in Sy, who for some reason or another, one beyond his imagination, she was giving Lutho a little extra look.

Lutho did not notice this small exchange though. He could not feel Sy giving him an extra eye more than normal. If he did, he probably would have thought nothing of it, rather perhaps saw it as a curiosity to the fame and prestige he did not earn other than by being born. It was actually this thought, destined to be a ruler, respected for doing nothing, that had caused his mind to wander inwards.

Neva and Osa had begun talking of some strange adventure or another but Lutho lost the desire to talk of things beyond his understanding. He saw the afternoon blaze, the non sun fighting the dark clouds and he could smell rain coming. His scar instantly began to itch. He let himself stealthfully scratch it, hoping none would see.

The girl was looking away, and Neva had begun talking to Osa, the two huddling together leaving the two humans to walk openly, alone, together. He let himself wonder, as he finished running his fingers down the line, that she herself was looking away from all life, and in thought of her own. He could sense that she wanted none to notice whatever thought was in her head.

He wanted to edge closer. He wanted to look inside. He slightly quickened his pace, for some reason he did not know why, and looked to take a peak around the corner of her face. She had on a smile! He looked away as quick as he could. He felt bad for prying in such a way. She never smiled like that when they were in the prison. To his knowledge, she never acted like she did when she was in the prison.

Lutho thought back and began to wonder, why did she act differently. Now, she was strong, a person of strength, back there though, she was a person who was actually with him in a way he could not explain. He wasn’t sure which Sy was the real one. Maybe they both were? His father had told him, in his wiser age, that even he did not understand the demensions of the female species.

His two friends from home, they themselves debated on the female mindset. Morn, he wept as he told stories of how his sister used to beat him up. Sho would also tell stories of how fun it was to watch Morn get beaten up by his sister. Yet Sho also told of how she magicly turned into someone who was both kind and pleasant to look at the next day.

The female species was beyond every male knowledge he had ever met. Even Kal Kal, the Speaker, she had this strange nature. Though she was perhaps the most consistent person he had met. He allowed himself to wonder, what level of craziness did Sy possess that he could not read or understand?

She sighed. He wasn’t looking when she did, but he let his ear her way. A thought passed his mind to say something. Before he moved however she addressed him.

“So tell me Lutho, what are the men like in your tribe?”

“Nothing much to speak of them about. They have their ways I guess. To be honest, I do not actually see much of other people in my life.”

“Why is that?”

“I think it was the decision made by the great ones before I was born. But those I do know, their hearts tend to be in the right place, they just cling too much to the ideals of those set before them.”

“Are they strong?” Sy asked.

“What do you mean by strength? I mean a lot of the hunters, they tend to be of different body types.”

“I mean in their hearts. Are they strong?”

They kept walking as Lutho let that question linger for a moment. “I do not know.”

Osa’s voice came in loud and strong. “Hey! There is a large rainstorm coming. We are going to need to find some level of shelter and quick.”

Neva pointed to a distance to the side of the path, “There is a forrest over there, the trees are big enough to hide in. The branches and leaves should protect us.” On the cue of the rain, water started to fall from the sky.



© 2012 Daniel Rodriguez


Author's Note

Daniel Rodriguez
things will heat up, for now, enjoy the union of the groups as Lut

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
Added on October 10, 2012
Last Updated on October 10, 2012


Author

Daniel Rodriguez
Daniel Rodriguez

Phoenix, AZ



About
Hello, my name is Daniel Antonio Rodriguez and I am a wannabe writer. I am 27 years old and have been actively writing for the past 12-13 years. I enjoy writing scripts and breaking out into niche gen.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez