Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez
"

The two aprentices duel as Jules arrives and makes his report.

"

Luke was a construction worker. He had worked since he dropped out of highschool. They pay had been good enough that while some of his school friends were living with their moms after, he had his own place. This quick to independence lifestyle allowed him to live a both carefree and ordered lifestyle. He had slept with many women from the college campus, and knew great ways to get into parties.

As he got older, he figured his life was decent enough that no other ambition really felt like hitting him. His hobbies were few minus some Karate, and weight lifting. A level of vanity prepped him for a life of fun and toughness but no real emotional commitment to anyone.

It was on his twenty third birthday, a friend of a friend brought a friend to his party and he knew, for one night, he wanted this girl to be the one. She however did not feel the same way and with in weeks of a one sided courtship, Luke finally got the memo. He was depressed and repressed.

He met Carlos a year after while working on building the Governor a second house. It was over a beer that both of them opened up and one beer became a drunk night on the town with each discovering their new best friend.

Both had suffered from heartache and both feeling like they had no goal in life. The two went to watch movies at Carlos’s special library when Luke came across a book.

“What is this?”

Carlos grabbed the book. “You best not…” Then Carlos stopped. He then continued, “Have you ever gotten into a fight?”

“A few, the job sees some action here and there.”

“That book can make you a better fighter than you can ever dream. It’s called The Book of the Five Rings.”

Luke laughed, “Rings? Five?”

Carlos grabbed the book, “If I do this, and show you this, you have to promise me something.”

“Whats that?”

“You work for me, unconditionally until I say otherwise.”

“That’s cryptic as f**k.”

Carlos waved his hand over the book, and instantly the entire set of words changed. “That bizzare writing you see, its called Kanji. I cant read it myself but, I do know a translation spell. Its how I read most of these books.”

Luke opened the book and began looking at it. “I don’t get it!”

Carlos held his eyes close and seemed to exert energy. The text turned to light then…into English. Carlos gave Luke the book. “Now, read me the title.”

“’The New Art of the Battle Mage. By Miyamoto Musashi.’ Who the f**k is Miyamoto Musashi?”

Carlos did not answer him, he instead told Luke to go home, study it, devour it, and to never speak to it to any other individual. He told Luke, that if the book and its ways bring truth, to come back next week.

A week later Luke was noted for doing the work of ten men. The manager did not know how such a human could have that strength. The entire construction site would soon tell tales of Lukes mythic strength but Luke would just laugh these things off as a new diet he had been trying. Before the rumors got out of hand, Luke quit his job citing a desire to try new things.

“I confess to you my friend, I wish I never read that book. Oh sure, it’s a nice book, filled with brilliant information. But you are asking me to believe that creatures of the Dark are real? Do you have any idea what tall order you are making of me? Sure, being strong is nice. Being fast and more agile… I can parkour like nobodies business! But my state of mind is gone friend. I sit there, in my bed, scared to close my eyes knowing that it is possible that something could eat me in my sleep. And why shouldn’t it? I have just studied methods of learning how to kill these things. Manipulating fire, yeah, that speaks to the pyromaniac in me, but..my bed, my safety in my room, undone by the images of zombies, werewolves, creatures of the seas, demons wanting to posess me, vampires and immortals…Why?”

-          Luke

 

The Circle of Protection allows the spirit and the physical to almost exist in two planes Simultaniously. With Astral Projection, a magical attack can still harm the soul as it has wondered from the body, but in a circle of protection, the projection exists in a state of “theoretical.”  Therefore one is free to stab, set fire, snap neck of, slice down middle, and other horrific painful acts of violence that are instantly undone the moment the fighter wakes up.

It has been this wonderful gift that has made these people engage in all sorts of random combat on one another since the council first acquired their gift. They have used it to hone their ability, show off to one another, and to some bizzare extent; they have made a sports like league out of it. Laurence is, if one were to consider the league as an official sports, the reigning champion of the group.

The Battle Mages instantly walked to their designated positions bowed and then sat down and closed their eyes. A giant non existant blast came from the room and disappeared just as quickly. Lucy, Jules’ apprentice and confidant, walked to the center of the ring. Luke then stood up and walked to his center of the ring.

Luke, perhaps always having a light flavor of alpha male in him looked over his potential prey who herself seemed to look into the distance infront of them. Was she calm and collected? No, it was more likely she was just not invested in the fight as he was. Luke then felt a slight hunger emanating from Carlos. He understood immediately. This wasn’t just a duel. Carlos wanted to prove he was a better instructor than Jules.

He looked around the room. Did anyone else notice this? Or was this because he had been so close to Carlos this past year that no one could read him like he could. He instantly shut off the vanity situation infront of him and began thinking of attacks.

The two walked to opposing sides and Lukes mind was racing through a playthrough. Start with fire! It should cause her to be on the offensive if shes quick enough to balance it out. She is new, just like him, so she probably wouldn’t have an apt counter to make that move his undoing. Close in with a sword, intimidate her. Then go for the win.

Her eyes looked down. He wanted to say it was submission, but no, she never showed signs of fear before.

Instantly he began to picture what she might look like naked. He smiled to himself. Was this why Jules picked her to be his apprentice? Was this why he was so quick to spend time with her? He could picture himself rubbing his nose through that jet black hair of hers. And those curves…

She was looking him strait in the eye with that damn poker face of hers. It disgusted him and it made him realize how foolish he had been losing his train of thought. This made him mad.

Two battle mages came up and asked them to choose their weapon. Luke picked a medival long sword. He admired the weight, it would also best compliment his game strategy of overpowering her physically and mentally. He looked at her, she had her back turned to him and Lucy clearly had an object in her hand.

“I hope you don’t go easy on me. I am sure Jules would love that, but it is perhaps best he is not here.”

Luke was surprised to hear her say this.She turned to him and let out a polite smile.

Before they got ready to fight, Carlos stood up to address them. They both instantly bowed.

“Before we begin, I must have you remember, we are beings who fight the Dark. In no time must you give into anger or fear. These are the way of the witch and warlock, our mortal enemies. Once you change sides, it is impossible to come back. You will be nothing but a shell for an evil voice to possess you. Should this happen we shall hunt you with no mercy. We have all made an oath, to fight the Dark, to never let it in our mind or heart. It is a struggle we face every day, but it is for a worthy cause.

Drink this truth, and you shall be one of us, a being who can change the world for the better. You will get the honor to fight by our side and keep the world safe so that no one needs to fear a midnight stroll down the street. Our kind have existed for hundreds, perhaps thousands of years. I need you now both to swear that no matter what happens in this duel, no animosity or jealousy will you harbor against your opponent during or after this duel. Do I have your word?”

“Yes,” Lucy spoke.

“I do swear,” Luke spoke.

In a softer voice, Carlos said one last sentence, “Don’t forget the lesson of Timmothy.”

Luke could feel a dip in the circles completion on this word, he saw Jessica look down. Carlos must have hit a sour note on her, but it was of minor consequence he thought. The spike equalized and the circle was whole again, it was now time to fight.

Luke and Lucy bowed.

“A pleasure to fight with you,” Lucy said almost too polite and content for Luke’s comfort zone. He then saw her weapon, a metal staff. She prepped it in a blocking position running vertical down her body to the floor.

Luke figured to use the sheer size of the long sword to get into her head as he moved it around playfully then got into position by pointing it at her.

“Begin!” Carlos yelled.

Instantly Luke used his card and threw a fire ball right at her. She simply turned to the side and before he realized he missed she was swinging at him quicker than his base movements could keep up. The crowd watched at the longsword was a liability for Luke as the almost weightlessness of the metal staff in Lucy’s hands allowed her to set up the next two moves.

 In desperation he resorted to his fist and slammed it against her stomach. She seemed to cave down almost to a knee before he slammed the hilt in her face. She spun around and was looking to balance herself.

He ran to her and was going to finish it with a slash when she closed her eyes and her regular clothes became that of light metallic armor. She blocked his attack with the staff and swept his leg with the other side.

Luke began to roll around trying to find room to get up. As he scurried while she stalked him, he was able to get a knee and jump out of her attacking range. Instantly he closed his eyes and remembered the image of battle armor in the book. While her armor was basic, he thought of summoning something that could fit his fighting style.

A bright light enveloped the room. He focused on creating a suite that created and reflected light. This would keep her ability to see down, and he could go on the offensive.

Sure enough, the plan had worked. She covered her face for a split second and Luke went back to square one, but this time, more ambitiously. He began hurling fireballs left and right, and she was too late to counter and began warding them off the best she could. By then, he had begun to strike her armor with his sword, over and over and over again. He slammed the blade to her knee and it buckled under the weight of the blow.

Luke felt victory as he pointed the tip of the sword to her face as she was kneeling against her will before him.

“I claim victory!” Luke yelled.

The armor on both combatants disappeared as Luke lowered his sword. Carlos instant got up and had a giant grin on his face. “Great work, impressive!”

The adrenaline rush was driving Luke crazy, he hadn’t expected her to put up as much of a fight as she did but he realized he wanted to live in this exact moment forever. He thought of just closing his eyes and basking indefinitely when Anna stood up.

“Jules! Laurence! Your late!”

Instantly everyone in the room turned to Laurence and Jules who were both sitting on the audience chairs. Jules spoke first, “Laurence your notes on the fight?”

Laurence nodded after smiling to Jessica, “Yeah, the volley of fire balls was impressive but a tricky move had it not paid off. You don’t necessarily want to spend all your energy before the fight is over and when dealing with multiple opponents, that level of waste can be deadly.”

Jules simply elaborated, “But your strategy was effective, and that is what gave you the victory, you out thought your opponent and executed a wise game plan. While she relied on just skill.”

Jessica then stood up, “But your skill Luke, a lot of us focus on the basic enhanced strength and agility to adapt fighting styles, however your basic swordsmenship level was inferior to keep up basic combat with her staff. Using the armor to blind her however was a smart choice.”

Anna put a hand on Lucy’s shoulder. “Your ability to dodge his initial fireball and go on the offense when he wanted defense, gave you a quick edge. Also using your staff to make short work of the early part of the fight was well placed on your part.”

Lucy then looked to Jules. He simply nodded his head and said, “I have much to say my apprentice, but know that I am proud of you. We shall speak when we are alone.” She smiled.

There was then this odd staredown as Jules walked up to the stage and began to make his way to his designated position, Carlos still sitting in the dominant position at the top of the circle from the entrance, like King Arthur.

One of the battle mages simply broke to the point, “What of the report?”

The other, “Yes, we must know what your findings are.”

Anna leaned forward, hungry, “I agree. What I have seen on the news does not sit well with me. I think rather than having needless duels, we should get right to the point.”

“Which begs the question why you two are late.” Carlos then slammed the point forward.

“My fellow council…” Jules began;.

“I had to stop for gas and take a s**t,” Laurence simply answered.

Jules chuckled. Jessica smiled, however no one else seemed to be in these spirits. “Allow me to go back to as I was saying, Ahem, ‘blah blah fellow council,’ we have a problem.”

Everyone in the room went quite and almost sullen except for the two apprentices. Jessica spoke what was on everyone’s mind and instantly jumped to, “So, witch….or warlock?”

“The pattern is male, definitely a warlock. For obvious reasons when it comes to this case, may I ask now, that we keep the candidates out of any contact with our specific duties and instead spend what free time we can allow on training outside of this case?”

Laurence backed his buddy, “Seconded.”

Anna, “Agreed, we don’t know what we are dealing with yet…”

Carlos looked down but said, “I understand, I don’t even think we need a vote or motion.” The general consensus was jumped upon before it had began, but Luke and Lucy felt more like they were just thrown in the middle of something bigger than them.

“Then I shall continue. Last night, a Warlock had came to this city and added to a spree kill he has been enacting. This makes the third target but not his third kill. We are looking at someone who uses not just magic, but ritual to such an extent that most of the details in the crime cannot be seen without the assistance of our sensitivity. Our killer goes strait to the crime scene, and does not allow any extra victims outside of the crime scene. Everyone outside was found unconscious.”

“Why is that?” Anna asked.

“I did some digging while at the precinct, it is the same with the Canadian singer’s death, and in New York. His goal is to create a black zone. A specific zone, contained, created with such atrocity that Dark energy is first manifested by the disgusting deeds of the crime, and trapped. If he were to kill outside this zone, the dark energy would be diluted and not concentrated on just one area. I have a drawing of the ritual.”

Jules threw down a scroll then added, “I spent all night working on the accuracy of it. You will note how the trail of magic, and even blood seems to work to a specific spot. I have not been able to find anything particular relating to this in any book I have, Carlos, I look to you to check your own research, I know you have a library of your own collection.”

Carlos nodded, “I will get on it immediately.”

“However if you notice, all that energy is being drawn to one spot, its safe to say, he is harnessing it and devouring it.”

Jessica peered in, “Is it possible he is making himself stronger?”

Jules nodded, “That is what I think. I mean I do not know exactly the extent of absorbing energy can do in a repetitive fashion. But it is not improbable with what little we know, that one can simply take, take, and take and grow their skills indefinitely.”

“Whoa buddy, you saying this guy can eventually move houses?” Laurence seemed scared.

“I don’t think magic works to that extent, but we are looking at a being that is evil, and has ambition. The longer we take to stopping him, the difference in ability will be there.”

“Wait, your saying he could already be stronger than us?” Carlos looked concerned.

“We have seen rituals of Warlocks and witches trying to get stronger, this is nothing new. Usually their ambitions are ‘a little of this,’ ‘a little of that.’ This guy wants something. He has a goal, or worse, he doesn’t have a goal and just keeps going.”

Laurence smiled, “I have no doubt we will stop him. You said he maybe strong, stronger than any of us.”

“Depends on his nature. I mean if he was a person training to be a warlock, then I still say we have an edge on him. But if he isn’t new to the world of magic, he is well learned and well practiced, he could be a giant threat.”

“But, there are seven of us, and one of him. We will prevail.”

Perhaps it wasn’t magic, but the brooding atmosphere in the room, just lightened a little.

Carlos realized something, “I want everyone to go home, we have a lot to think about and we need to address this issue with a clear head. Starting tomorrow we keep close contact with one another, communication is going to be key in the coming days.” There was a pause then, “Jules,” Jules looked up to Carlos, “Thank you for your report. You did good.”

“I did ‘well’ old friend.”

Carlos laughed, “That too.”

As the meeting came to a close, the figures in the room started to leave. Carlos left with Luke, the two of them reverting their conversation to sports. Anna simply nodded to Jules for his work, “Next time lets meet as we do something fun.” She walked out with Jessica who she seemed to be sharing a secret with, girls club stuff. Laurence watched Jessica pass.

“Wait for me outside.” Jules told Lucy. She nodded.

Laurence and Jules were alone.

“I am sorry Jules.”

“The warlock?”

Laurence smiled. They both knew the true answer. Jules lowerd his head slightly in shame.

“it’s a cruel world we live in,” Laurence went on, “but we fight.”

“I just want to make sure she is safe. This is above her paygrade.”

“She definitely isn’t a weakling, I think you picked a good person to join us.”

“Why does Carlos feel this giant need to compete with me!?”

“You hurt his ego, you picked an apprentice, so he picks one.”

“I feel like we have this conversation a lot.”

“We do, human beings are repetitive by nature. My nature, is a nice set of tits, and some fun with good company.”

“Gosh we humans are pathetic, Laurence.”

“It will work out friend. Don’t over think it. Enjoy it, life is better when you just enjoy. We can’t control the world. So that is why I say…”

Jules stopped, he wasn’t following Laurence out, “I am going to see Timmothy tomorrow.”

“You have my silence. No one will know.”

“Thanks bud.”



© 2013 Daniel Rodriguez


Author's Note

Daniel Rodriguez
This is the first actual Action scene featuring magic on magic, and its critical because its going to define the type of action for the rest of the book. Therefore feedback would be very welcomed and apreciated. Also considering this is the first time we see into the minds of these main characters, again, feedback would be welcomed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
Added on October 22, 2013
Last Updated on October 22, 2013
Tags: Duel, battle mage, magic, action adventure, urban fantasy


Author

Daniel Rodriguez
Daniel Rodriguez

Phoenix, AZ



About
Hello, my name is Daniel Antonio Rodriguez and I am a wannabe writer. I am 27 years old and have been actively writing for the past 12-13 years. I enjoy writing scripts and breaking out into niche gen.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez