Chapter 1: I'm From a Crumb, and Florida

Chapter 1: I'm From a Crumb, and Florida

A Chapter by DezChampion
"

Some thoughts and a brief interlude

"

My mother and I left the family when I was three years old.  I only remember that I was three because everyone always said that I lived with my mother when I was three and four years old, and so I just repeated after them.  (Formalities, I suppose, start with how our families used to introduce us before we had a clue that we were from anywhere else before that present moment.)

“Hey, where are you from?” so many people would ask based on the weird mix of how I would speak and the color of my skin.  It seems the two just weren’t prototypically savvy of each other- my voice and my skin, that is.  I didn’t have a natural accent from St. Thomas, which told to me to drop my R’s and to condense all my words together so fast they’d crack my teeth.  (Although, I would learn to do so later, however the former- dropping my R’s- would not help me at all in trying to learn Spanish when that rolling R always tended to allude me, probably because it was difficult for me to enunciate even a singular R.  In fact, it kind of hurts my mouth to try.)

“Well, I live in Puerto Rico, but I’m actually from St. Thomas- you know?  In the Virgin Islands?  Not the British Virgin Islands, the United States Virgin Islands.”

Then they’d give me this look that suggested if I were to show them St. Thomas on a map that they’d sound something like: Hey man why are you showing me a crumb on a map? And would promptly begin trying to extirpate my homeland- the crumb- with their dirty thumbnail.  (What would it be dirty with?  I don’t know exactly, maybe they would be the type to purposefully seek out persons who didn’t have an easily-recognizable home, and, feeling as if he/she was obliged to, would scratch away what they didn’t know before they knew they didn’t know it.  A collection of homes under their fingernail, never to be seen again because they were never seen before.  Oh, ignorance.)

“Oh yeah, and I lived in Florida for two years- when I was three and four,” I’d add as if that just changed everything. 

It’s funny, though, because even now when I’m older and people ask where I’m from, I still feel obligated to mention those two years in Florida with my mother.   Maybe somewhere I feel as though I can’t talk about myself without mentioning the why’s, what’s, and the how’s of what I feel to be integral to my being.  This explains why if someone were to ask me something about myself, I either tell them nothing or everything.  I feel it can’t be any other way. 

“Hey, Desi, do you prefer-?”

“Well, see, it all started when I was born on this crumb thing, except not an actual crumb thing.   Just one of those metaphorical crumb things, you know, one of those.

“Um.”

“Oh yeah, and I lived in Florida for two years- when I was three and four.”  

Those years share the ending of something so fleeting- a beautiful non-cognizance- to the formation of the reasons of why I lose sleep, and why most times I opt so say the nothing rather than the everything.  Those two years begin with a pair of keys scattering at my feet, a middle finger- an oft-rampant one if I do say so myself- and starts corroding with  a wave of roaches; hundreds, crawling all over me.

 



© 2013 DezChampion


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
Added on November 23, 2013
Last Updated on November 25, 2013
Tags: interlude, insignificance, ignorance, chapter, island, beginnings, memoir, teen, past, future


Author

DezChampion
DezChampion

San Juan, Puerto Rico



About
17 years old Figuring things out everyday, bear with me more..

Writing
And Lost And Lost

A Poem by DezChampion


Love Love

A Poem by DezChampion