War is over, if you want.

War is over, if you want.

A Story by Dani
"

A small excerpt from something I am attempting to write.

"

I stood on the sidewalk, watching him drive off towards the city. There was nothing to do. I had no way of navigating through this unfamiliar state. For all I knew, I was in a different country. I knew I had to walk, find something; a place to rest, a person who could help, anything. Resentfully, I dragged myself down the street, away from the direction he had driven off in.


I don’t know how long I was walking before I arrived at a bridge. Cars zoomed by as I waited to cross the street. The bridge would take me into the next town over. From what I could see, there seemed to be no one walking across, only a few people sitting on the ground. As I moved closer, I realized they were all homeless. They lined each side with only some intervals of space unoccupied. I felt a poignant pang of guilt. I had nothing to give, and yet I felt as though I had to. I wanted to give them my clothes, my dead cell phone, my empty wallet, every item I had on me. I didn’t deserve any of it, anyway. Who was I to have anything, while there were people with nothing at all? 


I looked at the ground as I crossed. A glance to the left, a mother with two sleeping children and a sign pleading unemployment and foreclosure. A glance to the right, a man with a three-legged dog. I walked quicker. I couldn’t breathe. I passed a man with one arm, singing, playing the guitar, strumming with his stump that ended at the elbow. 


“...So this is Christmas, and what have you done? Another year over, and a new one just begun...”


I felt sick. The short bridge seemed to go on for miles; no matter how fast I walked, it only got longer, I only moved further from the other side. The man’s singing only grew louder as I distanced myself from him.


“...A very merry Christmas, and a happy new year. Let’s hope it’s a good one, without any fear...”


I didn’t realize I was crying until I couldn’t see, my vision blurred by the tears. I started to run.


“...War is over, if you want it.”


I fell to the ground as soon as I reached the other side, overwhelmed. It hit me head on. I cried, I coughed, I couldn’t breathe. I felt helpless, lying in the cold in a pathetic heap. I was sobbing, and even when I had no tears left in me, I continued. There was nothing else I could do. If I moved, I would vomit. I couldn’t feel my legs, I couldn’t even bring myself to stand.  


Time passes. That is what time does. And even if you are removed from reality, it goes on. I don’t remember when I stopped sobbing, when I finally fell asleep out there. I woke up after what seemed like a mere minute of unconsciousness, but, judging from the rising sun in the east, I knew I had been out for at least a few hours. After a minute, I stood up and dusted off my dress. There was nothing else to do, after all, but keep going. I walked on. 

© 2012 Dani


Author's Note

Dani
Any comments are appreciated. Go easy on me, it's a work in progress, a rough draft.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
Added on December 25, 2012
Last Updated on December 25, 2012

Author

Dani
Dani

New York , NY



About
Hello. My name is Danika. I'm a young New Yorker. I love to read and write. Basically, I live my life through literature. Whether that's good or bad, who knows. more..

Writing
Elevator Elevator

A Story by Dani