I'll Be Home for Christmas.... Maybe

I'll Be Home for Christmas.... Maybe

A Story by Avangeline Holiday
"

Noelle has always had Christmas spirit. Her family always goes all out on Christmas. But this Christmas is different, Noelle's father won't be home for Christmas. How will Noelle cope with this?

"

    1:00pm

    December 24


   "O Holy Night! The stars are brightly shining, It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth." Noelle sang cheeryfully on the Eve of Christmas.  " Long lay the world in sin and error pining. Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth!"

 

    Noelle adored Christmas. It was her favorite holiday, and not because of the presents you received on Christmas morning, but because it was Jesus's birthday. Her family always had a big celebration just for Christ's birthday. Of course, they did presents just like any other family, but to them, Christmas meant joy, love, happiness, and Jesus.  The snow was still falling, it was up to Noelle's knees if she went and stood in the yard. Noelle pranced around the house like a child, turning on all the Christmas music boxes, shaking all the snow globes, and singing her heart out. Noelle was part of the choir at church, and tonight she'd take the stage for two solo songs. Full songs, all by herself. It gave her the jitters of excitement.

 

    " Noelle!" Her mother called, " I need your advice on the Christmas cookies."

 

   Noelle skipped into the kitchen, her mother stood at the counter with a tray of Christmas shapes cookies.

 

   " I'm stumped over the designs." She says

 

   Noelle smiles. " Well, the Santa cookies should BE Santa, red hat and jacket. The reindeer should look like reindeer, just as the bells like bells, and so on." Noelle offers

 

   Her mother grins, " You always know what to do for Christmas." Noelle's mother praises

 

   " Noelleeee!" Calls her little brother, " I can't remember how the reindeer are lined up."

 

  Noelle kneels beside him. " Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder, Blitzen, and then Rudolph at the lead." Noelle tells her brother Nicholas

 

   " Thanks Noelle!" He cheers

 

   Noelle ascends the stairs up to her bedroom. Her room was filled with Christmas nic-knacks. She has her Christmas stocking hanging on the end of her bed. It wasn't like she believed in Santa, she just liked the feeling of seeing little things in the stocking when she woke up. She sits down at her desk and logs onto face book.

 

 Daniella: Hey Noelle, excited 4 X-mas?

 

 Noelle: Of COURSE I am Dani! Who wouldn't be!?

 

 Daniella: So is ur dad coming back home?

 

 Noelle: Yepper'z. He's driving back as we speak.

 

 Daniella: Hey, r u going to Jackson's Christmas part?

 

 Noelle: No. I go to church with my family every Christmas eve. You know that.

 

 Daniella: Aw, c'mon Noella! Church ends at 9pm right? Well we can go 2 the party AFTER church.

 

 Noelle: IDK... I usually spend Christmas eve with my family...

 

 Daniella: I'm sure ur parents would let u go. Their awesome! I know they would!

 

 Noelle: Well, I AM 17, I'll ask mom right now.

 

 

   Noelle gets up and runs down stairs into the kitchen. Her mom is just finishing up decorating the cookies.

 

   " Mom, I was invited to Jackson's party tonight, I was hoping I could go..." Noelle asks

 

   Her mom stands up straight and looks at her.

 

   " I know we usually spend Christmas eve together, but I am 17 and-" Her mom cuts her off

 

   " Well I don't see why not. Like you were saying, you are 17. Of course you can go. Just be home by 11pm and don't drink anything but a sealed water bottle, okay?" Her mom replies

 

   Noelle grins. " Thanks mom!" Noelle hugs her mom, " And you know drinking holds no interest with me!"

 

   Noelle: Mom said yes! I can go!

 

 Daniella: yay! I can come over 2 ur house at 9:20 so we can get ready together.

 

 Noelle: Sounds good, see you then.

 

   Noelle looks through her closet, searching for a dress to wear. She pulls out a red dress that flows to the knees and strapless, with a glittery darker red belt with a gold metal circle on the side. She lays the dress on her bed as to not forget it was this dress. The phone begins to ring so Noelle runs downstairs, picking up the phone before anyone else can get to it.


    " Dad!?"


   " Hey pumpkin!" Noelle's dad says on the other end of the phone


   " Are you almost home?" She asks


   " Yeah yeah, of course. I might be late tonight though, the roads are all snowy." He tells Noelle


   " Well that's fine. As long as you get here safely." Noelle replies


   " Pumpkin, can you put get your mom?" He asks


   Noelle goes into the kitchen and hands her mother the phone and smiles. " It's dad."


   Noelle leaves the room and sits in the living room. Her dad was away on an urgent business trip but promised he would be home by Christmas. While Noelle waited for 8pm to roll around so they could go to church and then she would be able to go to a Christmas party.


~~~


   " Noelle, it's time to get ready for church!" Her mom calls to Noelle


   Noelle slips on her Christmas church dress and rushes to the living room. " Is dad going to make it?" She asks


   Her mom shakes her head, " No darling. I'm afraid not. He said he would be here tonight though."


   Noelle nods sadly. " Okay."


  Her mom smiles at her, " Hey, cheer up. You have two singing solos tonight."


~~~


   " Hark the herald angels sing, "Glory to the newborn King! Peace on earth and mercy mild, God and sinners reconciled" Joyful, all ye nations rise." Noelle sings at the opening of the church ceremony, " Join the triumph of the skies, With the angelic host proclaim: " Christ is born in Bethlehem" Hark! The herald angels sing "Glory to the newborn King!" "


    "Christ by highest heav'n adored, Christ the everlasting Lord! Late in time behold Him come. Offspring of a Virgin's womb. Veiled in flesh the Godhead see, Hail the incarnate Deity,. Pleased as man with man to dwell, Jesus, our Emmanuel! Hark! The herald angels sing "Glory to the newborn King!" " She sang with all her might, this was one of her favorite Christmas songs ever. Only if her father were here to hear her sing.


   "Hail the heav'n-born Prince of Peace! Hail the Son of Righteousness! Light and life to all He brings. Ris'n with healing in His wings, Mild He lays His glory by. Born that man no more may die. Born to raise the sons of earth! Born to give them second birth
Hark! The herald angels sing "Glory to the newborn King!" " The audience broke out into applause as she finished her song and took her seat with her mother and brother.


   " Wonderful singing sweetie." Her mother praises as the ceremony starts.


   Noelle sat there, listening intently to what the priest was saying, but all the while her mind would stray to her father possibly not making it home for Christmas. How could Christmas be the same without him? He had to come home, right? When everyone stood once more for Noelle's closing song, she was full of jitter's again.


    "Mary, did you know? that your Baby Boy would one day walk on water? Mary, did you know? that your Baby Boy would save our sons and daughters? Did you know? that your Baby Boy has come to make you new? This Child that you delivered will soon deliver you!" She sang, " Mary, did you know? that your Baby Boy will give sight to a blind man? Mary, did you know? that your Baby Boy will calm the storm with His hand? Did you know? that your Baby Boy has walked where angels trod? When you kiss your little Baby you kissed the face of God?"


    " Mary did you know.. Ooo Ooo Ooo~ The blind will see. The deaf will hear. The dead will live again. The lame will leap. The dumb will speak. The praises of The Lamb. Mary, did you know? that your Baby Boy is Lord of all creation? Mary, did you know? that your Baby Boy would one day rule the nations? Did you know? that your Baby Boy is heaven's perfect Lamb? The sleeping Child you're holding is the Great, I Am." Noelle let out a big long breath and smiled when everyone applaused once more.


   Her mother smiled proudly, " Noelle you were fantastic!" She said on the way home.


   " Thanks mom."


   " Wow sis! You were amaaazing!" Her brother cheered


~~~


   When they got home, soon after, Noelle's friend Daniella showed up and they went to Noelle's room to get ready for the party. Daniella loved the dress Noelle picked out. She did each other's makeup and took pictures, posting them on facebook. The girls went downstairs to leave for the party.


   " Mom? Daniella and I are leaving now." Noelle says but no one responds, " Mom?" Noelle looks into the kitchen and see's her mother with her heads in her hands.


   " Mom? What's wrong?" Noelle asks worriedly


   Her mother hands her the phone. " Noelle? Is that you?" Her father asks


   " Yeah dad, what's going on?"


   " Pumpkin, listen... I can't make it home for Christmas. All the roads are blocked and flights have been cancelled. I'm sorry. Noelle? Are you there?" By this point Noelle had already dropped the phone on the counter.


   He's not coming home.... She thought to herself, He's never missed a Christmas, a birthday, any holiday! Noelle wipes her eyes and turns back to Daniella.


   " Let's go Dani." She says


~~~


  When the girls get to the party they hit the dance floor immediately. Noelle pushed the thought of her father not coming home for Christmas out of her mind. She wanted to enjoy this party. Jackson and his best buddie Michel joined Daniella and Noelle on the dance floor. Noelle's mind swirled around as she danced, making her dizzy even though she hadn't had anything to drink.

 

   " You okay Noelle?" Michel asks her


   " Yeah I'm fine..." Noelle replies, but she wasn't.


   Michel pulls Noelle closer to him and smiles. " I always thought you were beautiful Noelle." He tells her


    Michel leans down to kiss her, but Noelle shoves him away. She starts to run towards the front door, the cold wintery night made her more relaxed. With only a small fur jacket, Noelle began to walk the streets of the small town. She got to the center of the town where the town's Christmas tree was all lit up and decorated. She sat on the stone wall around it and stared at the snowy sky.


    " All I need is a single Christmas miracle..." Noelle whispers


   " And what wish would that be?" A boy just older than Noelle asks her


   Noelle looks down at the boy with brown hair and hazel eyes. He was very handsome and he was all dressed up too. Noelle puts her hands on her upper arms.


   " That my dad would make it home for Christmas..." She says


   The boy sits on the edge of the wall with her and smiles.


   " Christmas is full of miracles and joy. Maybe he will find a way to get here for Christmas." He tells her


   Noelle shakes her head. " He wont make it, and Christmas isn't the same without him... It's ruined..."


   The boy takes Noelle's hand and she looks up at him, her heart racing. " This town is full of fun things on Christmas. Would you care to join me?" He asks


   Noelle hesitates. " I don't even know you..." She murmurs


   " I'm no one like that. We'll stay downtown, just look at the things in Christmas shops." He offers and she nods.


   The two go from store to store, laughing and having fun. Noelle was surprised with how much she was enjoying this. They wound up little Christmas soldiers and Christmas globes. The bought a tree decoration and added it to the Town's Christmas tree. All the while, Noelle didn't even know the boys name. The two stop at one last store and the boy picks up a locket necklace that's in the shape of a heart. He buys it without her knowing.


   " Close your eyes." He tells her and she does.


   The boy puts the necklace around her neck and tells her to open her eyes. Noelle looks at the necklace and smiles.


   " It's beautiful!" She exclaims, " Thank you!"


   Noelle looks around the store and finds a ring and gives it to him. She smiles at him. Even though they had just met, she felt so comfortable around him. Like they had met somewhere before.


   " It's late, I'll take you home." He says


   As they walk back to Noelle's house, they stop while crossing a walking bridge that arches over a frozen stream. The boy takes her hand and kisses her fingertips.


   " I know we only met, but I feel so happy around you." He tells her


   Noelle blushes. " I know what you mean. I feel the same way."


  The boy leans down and kisses Noelle's cheek, and they continue walking. When they get to her front porch, they stand there for awhile. The boy is still holding her hands.


   " Will I see you again?" Noelle asks


   The boy nods. " Just believe in Christmas miracles Noelle. I promise anything can happen during Christmas. Anything."


   Noelle closes her eyes and he kisses both cheeks and her forehead. When Noelle opens her eyes again, he's gone. She runs down the driveway, but there's no trace of him.  Not even any foot prints. She holds the necklace tightly in her hands and feels something on the back of the locket. Noelle turns the locket over and see's an inscription.


   Always believe Noelle. Merry Christmas.


  Was printed in small handwritten letters. How did he get that message there with her name on it? Noelle gasps when she realizes something.


   " I never even knew his name." She whispers into the night.


  Noelle's mother see's her standing in the driveway.


  " Noelle! Come inside before you get frost bite!" She calls


  Noelle turns around and runs inside quickly. Noelle, her mother, and brother all sit on the couch with blankets and hot chocolate watching Christmas movies. They all cuddle up together. Noelle continued to hold the locket, wishing she had at least known his name, because she had the feeling she would never see him again.


   That night, when Noelle returned to her bedroom, there was a box on her window sill. Noelle opened the window and opened the box. Inside was a letter.


   Dearest Noelle,


  Even though it was a sort time, I felt a connection with you. Something I had never known before. Thank you for melting my heart. Farewell and having a Merry Christmas.


~Tannis


  Noelle held the letter to her heart. Tannis... What a wonderful name... She thought to herself. Before Noelle realized it, she was crying. She fell on her bed, crying and crying. Why did she feel like this? Noelle cried herself to sleep that night.


~~~


  " Noelle Noelle! Wake uuuup!" Her brother screeched the next morning at 8am.


   Noelle and her brother went into the living room where their mother was already waiting for them, smiling.


   " Merry Christmas!" She cheered


  They all sat around the tree, opening their Christmas stockings when there was a sound at the door and the door flew open.


  " I'm home!!!" Noelle and Nicolas' dad calls, a big grin plastered on his face.


   " Dad! You made it home!!!" Noelle cried and they both hugged him.


  Their mother got up and kissed his cheek. " I knew you would make it."


   Noelle was now crying tears of joy. " I guess Christmas miracles really do exist." She said


   They all sat back around the tree together, as a family, and opened presents.


  Thank you Tannis, this was all because of you. She said to herself.


~~~


  Noelle never saw Tannis again. But he warmed her heart that Christmas. Every year Noelle wrote a letter to Tannis and left in on the window sill on Christmas eve. The next morning, on Christmas, the letter's were always gone and replaced with a small Christmas candy. Tannis always remained in Noelle's heart and she always remained in his.


Have a Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!


  


 


  







 

 

  

© 2013 Avangeline Holiday


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

a very cute story. i enjoyed reading it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I love that story. Great job.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, now that was great. Nice job as always Avangeline ^^

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 28, 2013
Last Updated on December 7, 2013
Tags: Christmas, Romance

Author

Avangeline Holiday
Avangeline Holiday

Halloween Town



About
My name is Avangeline Delarosa I love writing, drawing manga, and reading. I usually get my inspirations for stories from music. If you ever need help coming up with a story title or plot you can .. more..

Writing