Growing Up in the Country

Growing Up in the Country

A Story by Diane Lockard
"

A children's story about growing up in the country, suitable for a picture book ...

"

Have you seen a big, black steam engine puffing gray smoke, and passenger cars with soldiers, salesmen, travelers coming to see the “Cowboys and Indians,” and boxcars/flatcars full of food, machinery, cars…?

 

“I love the sound of the whistle drifting through the night.”

 

Trains shipped the majority of what went to or from a town - after harvesting the wheat my Dad grew, it was sent to silos or mills to make flour. Baby turkeys arrived at the train depot in cardboard boxes with holes, sounds of “peep, peep, peep” could be heard.

 

We ordered fireworks for the Fourth of July, clothes for school, and the packages came in the mail at the Post Office. Saturday was the day to go to town; my Mom, Dad, and two brothers and I piled into the car.

 

My mother helped me walk up the outside wooden stairs to the top, and opened the door. The hallway is filled with shadows, and is not very welcoming. I am excited to enter the small room - rows of books are shelved on three walls, within my short reach, and select a book. A new world opens before me; it was heaven to me.

 

Every day, I gathered eggs from the chicken coop, and in the spring, my brother and I fed the orphan baby lambs with special milk bottles. They would follow us around like puppies. After chores were done, supper and dishes finished, we could read, listen to the radio, or play games.

 

The kerosene lamp cast a golden glow on my mother’s face, as she sat in her rocking chair and read a dog story in the Saturday Evening Post to my brother and me, sitting on the floor, listening intently. At the end of the story, leaving us, waiting for next month’s issue…

 

I read books from the school library, and as a treat, we went to the movies and afterwards, ate maple-nut ice cream purchased from the café. During the summer, we made delicious homemade ice cream, and each of us turned the handle of the ice-cream freezer.

 

We didn’t have TV, but we couldn’t wait to gather around the radio, and listen to the Lone Ranger, and “Only the Shadow Knows?”

 

Do you play cards/board games with your Dad, Mom, and siblings? Every year at Christmas, my parents would buy a board game such as Monopoly or Scrabble.

We had the outdoors to use as a playground, bicycling, tag, hide and seek, until it turned dark…

 

 


 

 


 

 


 

 

 

© 2016 Diane Lockard


Author's Note

Diane Lockard
The story was written, as a picture book, with addition of illustrations, e.g., steam engines, farm animals, going to town, playing... 455 words - between very young and beginning readers.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Its nice talking about old times im sure the children will enjoy the story...My grand-father was a conductor on the Pennsylvania Railroad...I can remember riding the train and him taking my ticket in his blue uniform and hat. Enjoyed reading Dianne...thanks for posting...Rose:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Diane Lockard

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Rose, There are so many stories, just from life experiences....
I am making some ch.. read more
SyberRose

10 Years Ago

Okay well see ya when you return Dianne...hugs
Diane Lockard

10 Years Ago

I will be checking in throughout the week. It is so nice to chat to you on the Cafe. Diane



Reviews

I long for the simpler times. This was a delight. I wish I could see the pictures you would put with it. Lovely. ...and I love maple nut ice cream! Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Diane Lockard

10 Years Ago

Thank you, I am checking on illustrations for other children's stories too... Fond memories, we look.. read more
This is so delightful to read--a fresh breath of country air, bringing forth memories of when the world was new to these eyes. With dysfunctional parents, my life wasn't near as idyllic as yours, but still, I marveled and was thrilled by many of the same things. The trains, oh yes, the trains. I'll never forget one of the best jobs of my youth; sitting inside a box car, feeding a mountain of corn to the auger with a scoop shovel.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Diane Lockard

10 Years Ago

My brother and I would sit in the hopper of the combine, and wheat would fall around us; we have a r.. read more
Its nice talking about old times im sure the children will enjoy the story...My grand-father was a conductor on the Pennsylvania Railroad...I can remember riding the train and him taking my ticket in his blue uniform and hat. Enjoyed reading Dianne...thanks for posting...Rose:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Diane Lockard

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Rose, There are so many stories, just from life experiences....
I am making some ch.. read more
SyberRose

10 Years Ago

Okay well see ya when you return Dianne...hugs
Diane Lockard

10 Years Ago

I will be checking in throughout the week. It is so nice to chat to you on the Cafe. Diane

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

430 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 31, 2013
Last Updated on November 15, 2016
Tags: Children's books, history, reading, family

Author

Diane Lockard
Diane Lockard

Moroni, UT



About
Thank you, friends, for exchanging stories and poems, plus reviewing my writing. Memories of growing up in Montana - My Mother's Hands, On the Road Again about family reunions, Discover Life's Treasur.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Symbiosis Symbiosis

A Poem by ...


Hungry Hungry

A Poem by Rita L. Sev


Blinky light Blinky light

A Poem by Angi