Around the Town newsletter

Around the Town newsletter

A Story by Diane Lockard
"

This is an excerpt from a newsletter written for one of my groups. I was nominated to be the Gadabout and locate activities for the members....

"

 

Sept. 29 - Sue and I drove up Parley's Canyon to Soldier Hollow near Heber City, UT for an exciting Civil War enactment, plus, Quilt Show. We met an author, Sandra Dallas, who gave a presentation that combines both her writing and quilts.

I purchased her children’s book, Quilt Walk that she autographed about a 10-year old girl’s journey with her family to Colorado on a wagon train. It is a historical account that is interesting for all ages.

 

We attended an enactment of a Civil War tea party. While the men were away fighting battles, the women banded together and supported each other.

They prepared velvet cream biscuits made from a family recipe, gingersnaps, grapes, strawberries, etc., plus herbal-mixed tea. Musicians played sad refrains, “Time passes so slowly, Lorena.”

 

One lady was dressed in a long blue and yellow vertically striped gown with blue bodice. She wore a cameo at her throat. The hostess asked each participant to bring her own teacup and saucer. Society dictated that guests needed to feel comfortable; she didn’t want to be short a cup to serve tea….

 

Watched a “battle” between the Union Calvary and Rebel foot soldiers and toured their camp of tents. My great-granddaughter was able to pet the horses.  Red Hats could be purchased at Lily’s Hat Shoppe, or a shave and haircut /“pull a tooth” at another place. Plus, a stop at a general store…

 

Oct. 6 - Desert Divas rode the Front Runner train to Ogden, UT where we toured the historic train depot with three museums - Browning Firearms, antique cars’ exhibit, and railroad history. “Two-bit” street was noted for its gambling, bordellos, and wild times, in the days, gone by. Ate lunch at Rooster’s that has a great atmosphere and samplers of their brews….

In an antique shop, Sue found a beautiful red hat, Shirley, some gorgeous material, and I found a pin, 1941 - 1945/ World War II to add to my collection.

 

Oct. 10, 2012 - “Today, starts a new adventure, the Desert Divas designated me, the ‘Gadabout,’ finding events for the group.” Sources say there were tunnels under the buildings so the bad guys could escape.

 

Shirley and I are retracing my “Central UT Getaway” that was published on vroomgirls.com. We stop in Fairview at a 1920s gas station/gift shop. They have one section with Doug and Melissa’s toys that are the best selections in the state. Carry handcrafted gifts, homemade jam, home décor, including oilcloth for tablecloths…. Next door is the Museum of Natural History with a cast of a Mammoth found nearby.

 

Down to Mount Pleasant and stopped at El Ranchero restaurant for a delicious lunch in a homey atmosphere…

 

Our destination was Gunnison, Utah to stay at the Rose B and B, featured on the Bed and Breakfasts’ book cover.

 

We chose the Rose Room with roses intertwined on the wallpaper, white enamel frame on the bed, claw-foot tub with lace shower curtains, and transoms over the doors….

 Breakfast was served in a dining room with pale blue and yellow walls/ landscape murals painted on them. Soft music played as we ate fresh strawberries and blackberries, French toast, scrambled eggs and sipped my coffee…

 

Across from the B and B was a quilting shop with a man cave/ guns, sports equipment… His and Hers is in a old building that was the  ZCMI co-op that is on the Historic Register, one of the early department stores in the US. Two doors down, a 100-year old Theater that has been revamped and still runs movies…

 

 The owner sent us to Gunnison’s Grocery for fabric " “First clue you are in a small town.”

 

They had a good selection of patterns and material; Shirley found quality lace at .17 a yard! Score!!

 

Next day, we went to Manti; all the towns in the area are only 7 - 10 miles apart. Coming into Manti, you see the spires of the LDS/Mormon temple from a distance. We surveyed Candies on Main, bought some fudge, visited the Bosch store that has excellent cooking classes and Jensen’s Dept. Store. I found slacks on sale for $11. Another bargain!

 

 Every where we went, the people were so friendly, happy to visit and answer questions, and supported each other…

 

Went to libraries in Gunnison and Manti, bought “Steamboat on River” written in 1952 for .50 with drawings of the boats on the inside of both front and back covers.

 

On the way home, we stopped at Ephraim Co-op where they were having a craft sale. Our finds: a red flower hair band, some Norwegian “Lena and Ole’ books for my sister-in-law in Minnesota and my youngest brother, a book on historic barns, finally, decorative hat pins.

 

We headed home, by way of Moroni, and stopped at Juanita’s for lunch. One of the largest suppliers of Norbest turkeys makes their home there; my friend bought a turkey at their store. They have all sizes of birds and other related products, e.g., lunchmeat.

 

There is a plethora of history in Central Utah, including the oldest Opera House, and Heritage Highway 89 that has multiple crafts, pioneer houses, art galleries, music…

 

Finally, we returned to I-15 and motored on the way down the road. Decided to tour Provo, each one has a Main Street that has historical buildings.

.

My gadabouting has been full of history, red hats, and great company… I couldn’t ask for more.

Mark Twain said in twenty years, we would regret the things we didn’t do more than what we did do.

I enjoy historical non-fiction and fiction stories - you can check out my stories and poems on the Cafe...

© 2017 Diane Lockard


Author's Note

Diane Lockard
An excerpt from my newsletter I wrote in the past to show some of the local history. Plus, tell about where to go and things to do...
Life in a small town is relaxing, and having access to a place in the country is even better.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice travelogue,Diane.
Enjoyed reading.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nicely done Dianne as always...I live on the battlefields of the civil war in Virginia...i see reenactments all the time...lots to do here...hope you are having a nice day...Rose:)



Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Diane Lockard

10 Years Ago

My oldest daughter lives in Tennessee, and they have so much history there. Last time I was there, I.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

528 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 21, 2013
Last Updated on June 27, 2017
Tags: Travel, history, B and Bs, activities

Author

Diane Lockard
Diane Lockard

Moroni, UT



About
Thank you, friends, for exchanging stories and poems, plus reviewing my writing. Memories of growing up in Montana - My Mother's Hands, On the Road Again about family reunions, Discover Life's Treasur.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Spring Spring

A Poem by Veronica


"Love Is..." "Love Is..."

A Poem by Chris


Moon Struck Moon Struck

A Poem by Helena