Power

Power

A Story by Ryan McAuley

“I am Poseidon!” The great god proclaimed down to the tiny ship. A great tsunami splashed upward away from his body as he moved about his kingdom, causing the vessel to sway harder than it might have been able to withstand.

He looked down upon the deck and watched as the little mortals scrambled about, some holding their hands as if to pray, others franticly working to make sure the ship did not flip. He held out his hand, above the boat and commanded the seas to obey, and open a whirlpool. This would be the end of the crew. There was absolutely no way they could withstand this deadly force. He could just as easily reach out and crush the boat with his hands, or smash it with his trident, but why do that when you could test the faith of those who knew you existed.

The ocean churned hard, and began to suck the crew and their ship toward their deaths. Their screams for mercy were an almost inaudible squeak compared to his laughter and the storm. He watched as they began to  spin faster and faster in a spiral that would give no mercy unless he commanded it.

“Are you done with your bath yet?” The call from the living room whipped James’ head around to the bathroom door. He was standing there naked, in the bathtub, with a wrinkly fingered hand above the drain hole. The water spluttered as the rubber ducky’s odd shape almost plugged it. He peeked his head over the edge of the tub and saw that there was water everywhere. He knew mom would be mad if she saw the mess.

© 2008 Ryan McAuley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great job.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 8, 2008

Author

Ryan McAuley
Ryan McAuley

RAF Mildenhall, Suffolk, United Kingdom



About
I was born in the city of Landstuhl in Germany. At the time my father was in the Air Force so from there we moved to Texas, then to Arizona. We lived there until my father retired from the Air Forc.. more..

Writing
in work in work

A Story by Ryan McAuley


progress progress

A Story by Ryan McAuley


In Work In Work

A Story by Ryan McAuley