Autumn

Autumn

A Story by Ryan McAuley

Autumn leaves fall, carpeting the grass in an array of colors, ranging from light green, through crusted brown, to dark red. Sitting on a bench in a park, a man and his wife hold each other against the wind, speaking of their future. He gets a twinkle in his eye and lowers himself to a knee in answer to what their future might hold.

Down the path, couples walk hand in hand, arm in arm, or wrapped about each other, wearing smiles all the while. Several people walk alone or with a pet on leash. Those few people walking alone look colder, paler, and rather sad.

Colors fade as clouds cover the sky and leaves continue to fall and take the position fallen comrades previously held as rakes swish behind fences. Rain begins to trickle from the sky, wetting everything with a soft pattering that begins to grow with intensity.  Couples unfold umbrellas while those along begin to jog, the swishing of racks lessens and eventually stops.

The muted colors of leaves in trees and on the ground are still of a great variety, and the couples walking along the paths and sidewalks are even less diminished by the shadows and the rain. Looking at them, one might be able to even see a light emanate from them, now that the sun was hidden behind clouds.

© 2008 Ryan McAuley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very nice... Autumn is just a beautiful season of the year! Good imaginary in this story! Good job and keep writing! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
A sweet story of Autumn in the park, Ryan. I notice that in each submission, there is a sadness about this time of year ~ here it is in those souls walking alone. I like your ending as the couples seem to "glow" as the sky darkens. Nice touch!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts of Fall!

~j

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

Ryan McAuley
Ryan McAuley

RAF Mildenhall, Suffolk, United Kingdom



About
I was born in the city of Landstuhl in Germany. At the time my father was in the Air Force so from there we moved to Texas, then to Arizona. We lived there until my father retired from the Air Forc.. more..

Writing
in work in work

A Story by Ryan McAuley


progress progress

A Story by Ryan McAuley


In Work In Work

A Story by Ryan McAuley