Arkansas Stars

Arkansas Stars

A Story by Some Random Person.
"

Can you think of a better name? Please!

"

I was sitting up, early in the morning in my bed. The sun was barely lighting the dark as night sky. The clock across the bed read 6 o’clock. It was a midsummer Sunday, and I had to wake up at 6. I didn’t feel like going to church, and apparently, neither did my grandparents. I had nothing to do, but read, go back to sleep, or get up and go to the living room area.

When I got dressed and staggered on the maple hardwood flooring, making my way to the front of the one story house. When I got to the living room, which somehow was bright as day, I heard my grandmother talking on the phone loudly on the backside porch to my mother. They had a very close relationship, to which I was both glad and annoyed about. They told each other everything.  

I turned on the large, old flat screen TV and started surfing the channels, and finally settled for N.C.I.S. on USA Network. N.C.I.S. is my favorite TV show, but I usually never saw it because back at home, we didn’t have cable.

When my grandmother finally ended her phone call, it was almost eight, and the sun was making its way up to its highest point in the sky.

“So, Elizabeth, what do you want for breakfast?” my Grandmother asked a bit loudly in the kitchen.

“My usual, you know, bacon and sausage.” I loved those two in combination. I hated eggs, and they got stuck in my annoying braces.

“You sure? I would’ve thought that you’d want something different. “

“Nope, my usual, J’mama.” I called her Jomama because of her name, but every time I said it, it came out like J’mama. I never knew why.

“Alrighty then. I’ll fix ya some Sausage and pork!” Jomama and her olden talk!

^*^

After I ate my breakfast, I went outside to visit and talk with my grandparent’s neighbors and friends. I’ve known them for what seemed like forever. 

© 2011 Some Random Person.


Author's Note

Some Random Person.
Another short story about life in Arkansas for me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hhaha Jomamma thats an awesome name for a grandma:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"The sun was barely lighting the dark as night sky." Considering it is beginning the light up the night sky, you need to find another analogy. The first two sentences of the second paragraph start with "When I got..." Mix that up a little. "my Grandmother asked a bit loudly in the kitchen." Grandmother would be a common noun in this sense. " I’ll fix ya some Sausage and pork!” Also a common noun.

As for the story itself. I feel like I could really lose myself in it if it had a little more detail. Describe the weather, what smells were there? Did it stink because they lived near a pig farm or did it smell like dank fresh cut grass that your grandfather mowed yesterday. Detail can help you get consumed in a story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A nice beginning to your story. Some history and description of life for the main character. I like the ending. Always good to spend time with the family. A excellent beginning to the story..
Coyote


Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 8, 2011
Last Updated on April 8, 2011

Author

Some Random Person.
Some Random Person.

Ravenclaw House, The Library, Messaline, Midnight, colonizing the New Earth, TX



About
So if all of ya'll will help me pay for college, that'd be great... http://www.gofundme.com/jhx73o For all you Doctor Who obsessing people... Don't say I hate you. But I do hate those Dale.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Prelude Prelude

A Chapter by Vanessa Rico