The Losers

The Losers

A Story by CT
"

A short monologue about what its like to be rejected by those around you in high school.

"
High School Musical is bullshit. I mean, come on, let's face it, people; everyone is going to come together and start singing in the gym a few days after hell freezes over.
American pop culture seems to have this seriously screwy romanticized view of The Wonderful World of Teenage Life. It's nothing but crap. Maybe not for the "normal" kids (is there really any such thing as "normal"? I think not), the ones who just sit and laugh and talk about sports and sex and don't give a s**t about who they step on, but for kids like me, it starts to make Nazi Germany look good.
Who are "kids like me"? Well, let me put it this way:
The only thing that the media really gets right about school is the whole clique thing. Preppies, skater dudes, band geeks, crackheads… they're all there, those and more, only aware of life inside their tight little groups, oblivious or uncaring of how life really is. To them, school is one big social hour. Look out world, here they come, ready to rip and uncaring who they hurt as they do so.
You walk into the crowded, noisy cafeteria, your tray housing whatever s**t the Secret Society of Lunch Ladies has cooked up today, and it's just frickin' nuts.
Everyone at one table will be dressed in shiny numbered jerseys, well-muscled, handsome, a few with their arm around some über-sexy chick with the approximate intelligence quotient of a walnut. Girls will be scattered across the room in little clumps, each individual subculture easily identifiable by their choice of clothing. In the corner you might see a table with a couple of nerds sitting around, talking about vectors or calculus or whatever the hell it is they talk about. They're at the bottom of the popularity spectrum, but they don't really care.
And then there's the losers. They're the ones over there, in the corner, somehow together and apart at the same time. Sort of talking, fidgeting. They don't all feel quite comfortable with each other, yet they don't feel comfortable with anyone else, either. They're kind of a mumble jumble, thrown together from whatever scraps are left over from the other groups. Kind of like chop suey, I guess.
These guys are the ones that will either turn out to be super successful in life or will burn out before they're twenty, dropping out, living in some filthy trailer park, a marijuana joint in one hand and a Bud Light in the other. They're the ones that almost everybody ignores; that nobody takes the time to get to know. They're the ones that have been pushed and kicked and rejected all their lives. Society tells them they're nothing but s**t, and after a while, they begin to believe it themselves.
Welcome to my life.

© 2011 CT


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'M KIND OF PISSED...that this had six fews and didn't get a review!! I mean this shizz is so true. you described everything perfectly. I was glued by the first sentence because it was really good and made me laugh. hell, this whole Story made me laugh, but it was serious at the same time. I like how it held me and gave me a message. well not exactly me a message because I already know this stuff but....it's so relatiable, it's crazy

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Yes, high school sucks and though it's 'the best years of your life' for some, it will always suck. I was part of that chop suey before I finally gave up on everyone and left. Off-campus schools are wonderful for the lack of social interaction required; there's less bullshit because of it.
Anyway, you have a great way of getting your point across while mixing humor and significance into your writing, and you've become one of my favorite writers because of it. Great voice, well-written and a pleasurable read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I'M KIND OF PISSED...that this had six fews and didn't get a review!! I mean this shizz is so true. you described everything perfectly. I was glued by the first sentence because it was really good and made me laugh. hell, this whole Story made me laugh, but it was serious at the same time. I like how it held me and gave me a message. well not exactly me a message because I already know this stuff but....it's so relatiable, it's crazy

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

601 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on July 13, 2011
Last Updated on July 13, 2011

Author

CT
CT

Somewhere Within The Confines of a Dismal Reality, MI



About
Just another traveler on the ever-winding road of Life... more..

Writing
Duality Duality

A Story by CT


11:43 AM 11:43 AM

A Chapter by CT



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fly On The Wall Fly On The Wall

A Poem by emma