RoRrim

RoRrim

A Story by Meaghan M
"

Commitioned by one of my friends

"

Maybe if she kept her eyes closed, she could make it all disappear. She stood very still, listening to the sound of her breathing. She listened to the gurgling sound her empty stomach made as she inhaled and the soft moan of her exhale. The world was still there though and it was time to face it. She began to realize how cold the tile floor of the dormitory bathroom was beneath her bare feet. The water was still ice cold when she splashed it on her face. Despite the thick long sleeve nightgown she wore, she shivered. Gripping the sides of the sink, she let the water drip down her face, some droplets rolling down her neck and onto the collar of her nightgown. After dabbing her face dry with a paper towel, she lifted her head. Only then did she open her eyes.

            She let out a short yelp of fright that echoed off the empty bathroom walls. Involuntarily, she jumped back at least two feet. It had been there; she was sure of it. She crept back toward the sink, looking into the mirror. Her reflection was the only thing looking back. She had seen it. It was... It was something. She took another deep breath, staring at her reflection. Maybe it was just a trick of the light.

            She placed her hands on the sides of the sink again. The sink was still wet from when she had splashed her face a moment ago. Despite the fact that the water had been frozen, her right hand felt something warm. She looked down at her hand and her mouth slowly dropped. Her eyes narrowing, she lifted her hand off the sink. A warm blue smoke was pouring out of her hand, swirling up into the air and slowly dissipating. It was not that her breathing became heavier, but rather it was that her breathing became deeper and that was all she could hear as she stared at the smoke. She was not aware of how long she stood there in a trance, but all of a sudden, it became very clear to her.

            "I have to get out of here."

            The lights of the empty bathroom flickered once before she sprinted out into the hallway. The dormitory hallway was the same as the bathroom: deserted. I have to get out of here. I have to get out of here. Swallowing a mouthful of saliva, she started to run. As she ran, one by one the lights began to flick off. She looked back only for a moment, feeling as though something was watching her from the shadows. She did not dare stop.

            Her heart was racing as she flew down the carpeted stairs. I have to get out of here. She took the stairs two at a time. Then three. I have to get out of here. I have to-

            She came to an abrupt stop at the bottom of the stairs. She had not known what she was going to do once she reached the first floor. All she really knew was that she could no longer stay in this place. It was coming for her. The shadows were watching. She needed to get out of there. But they were not going to let her.

            There were three of them. One was a petite blonde with thick black glasses. Another was a little brunette who could be no older than seven. The last was an older girl with, what she thought, was a head of red hair. She thought they looked familiar, but she could not be sure. They did not even look real. She could not describe it. They were there, standing right on front of her, but they were not real. They were no invisible nor were they transparent. It was more as if they were manifestations of something dark; wisps of the shadows. She looked from one to the next until her eyes fell on the older girl. Panic-stricken, she could feel her heart beating hard against her rib cage. She stumbled back.

            "The monster in the mirror..." she whispered.

            The three girls' lips curled into cruel smiles. The small brunette and blonde giggled as the old one held out her hand. She shook her head, the color completely drained from her face. She took off quickly to the right down another dark hallway. The three girls called after her. She could not hear them running after her, but their voices calling for her followed her down the hallway.

            After a moment, she reached a back door. Heaving it open, she found herself in courtyard. She took a few steps out onto the grass and looked up at the night sky. They were coming for her. The shadows were watching. She could not stay here. She knew that if she stayed any longer, they would find her. A chill ran up her spine as she stared up at the stars. She knew, somehow she knew, if she stayed, she was dead.

            Looking down at her hand, she once again saw the warm blue smoke. And then it came to her. It was so simple and matter-of-fact. She knew what she had to do.

            "I have to fly."

             In a matter of moments, she was up amongst the clouds, the blue smoke trailing along behind her. She closed her eyes. Maybe if she kept her eyes closed, she could make it all disappear.

© 2011 Meaghan M


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

239 Views
Added on October 21, 2011
Last Updated on October 21, 2011

Author

Meaghan M
Meaghan M

NY



About
Meaghan, spelt with as many letters as you can cram into the name. 22, Long Island. I'm a writer, it's what I do. more..

Writing