My Reason

My Reason

A Chapter by Chafino
"

Discover why Ratio wishes to become a hero so badly. Soul and Leech know each other?

"

Over the couple of days Raito has been sneaking out at night to meet up with Flight for his Gift training. The training was starting to pay off for the most part. Raito still needs to shout out his attacks for things like creating a sound pulse that can push objects or even a person. No more did he have trouble controlling his super hearing and started to really enjoy being a Gift. One of his favorite training practices was to shoot soda cans off of trashcans to help better concentrate small sound wave pulses instead of just shooting out large attacks. But one of Flight’s favorite training practices was a game they called ‘wrong voice’ where Raito would change what a person says or even sounds like.


“Okay, see that couple over there,” Flight said as he pointed over to a couple sitting down on a bench, “make them only say mean compliments.”


Raito laughed, “that’s so mean but funny at the same time. Here, put these headphones on so I can send what they are saying to the headphones.” Raito closed his eyes and started to listen really closely to hear what the couple were saying. The man was saying typical love bird compliments such as his girlfriend was prettier than the moon and the sun only comes out when she smiles. Trying to not laugh at the love bird compliments he started to talk and anything Raito said would also come out of the man’s mouth. “Your hair is as beautiful as the hair on my armpit. Your teeth is as white as your pale skin,” Raito said. The woman in complete shock started to smack the man on the head and arm. Raito and Flight trying to contain their laughs weren’t done just yet. Raito started to talk again but this time whatever he said started to come out of the woman’s mouth. “Those are the sweetest things anyone has ever said to me. I truly am lucky to have you,” Raito said as he stuttered trying to hold back his laugh. The couple just stood there confused on what to say or even do and decided to just leave the park silently. Raito and Flight slowly calmed down after the couple left.


“That never get olds, that was funnier when we made that guy from yesterday only speak in japanese. I have to say you’ve gotten a lot better and controlling your powers,” Flight said as he patted Raito on the back.


Raito smiles back over to Flight, “can I ask you a question?”


“Over course!”


“Why was I chosen to have this power?”


“Sorry to burst your bubble but you weren’t chosen as in there was a reason. I don’t know how Gifts pick vessels but Soul told me to not think about it too much. Apparently it’s completely random before we are even born. And when we die the Gift leaves our body and chooses a new vessel. That’s why you shouldn’t try and play super hero. Just enjoy your Gift and have fun”

“But I can’t,” Raito said as he makes a fist, “I just feel like I need to do something that helps people. Playing around with my powers like this is fine but they serve as a purpose, to help me better control my powers. I can’t simply use my powers for my own fun.”


“Isn’t that a contradiction? You saying you don’t want to use your powers for your own fun is no different than you wanting to use it to fill your fantasy of wanting to be a superhero,” Flight said as he wraps an arm around Raito and pulls him in closer. “This is the real world, there are people that get killed trying to be a hero. Only a small percentage of people live to see the next day when they fight off a person with a gun or knife. If you put yourself out there, not only will you have to becareful of the average criminal but you will be under the radar for Time Keeper as well.”  


“Just who is this Time Keeper!” Raito shouted out pushing himself away from Flight, “you tell me to not to do certain things but won’t give me more details. If I’m a Gift and there are other Gifts then I should know about this world I’m entering in! You brought me into this world by telling me I’m a Gift, it’s not fair I’m in the dark especially if my life is on the line!”


Flight realized that Raito isn’t wrong, he does deserve to have more knowledge than he has been giving Raito. Flight slowly sits up and turns around to face Raito. With a deep sigh he agrees to tell Raito more about the world he’s about to enter but states he won’t do it just yet. Raito should be able to have fun with his new powers and enjoy the confidence that he’s gain since they first met. Flight doesn’t want to take that away from him yet. He’ll tell Raito everything but for now he just wants Raito to be happy. Raito, looking into Flight’s eyes can see them being slightly watery and red as Flight refuses to break eye contact with Raito. Raito can feel Flight’s passion and concern for his safety. Without realizing it Raito can feel his face making a smile. This was the first time a person, no, a friend actually put his feelings first. Raito, was finally able to experience what it means to have a friend be protective. Wanting to break this tension in the air Raito asked Flight if he would liked to see his room. After all that is what friends do, hang out at each others house.


“My parents are asleep so I hope you don’t mind just sneaking into my room,” Raito said as they reach his house. Flight simply just flew into Raito’s room as Raito opens the door and proceeds to sneak into his own house. Flight in total awh looked around in Raito’s room and sees it covered in posters, books on the shelves, and paper scattered around the floor and desk. “Sorry my room is kind of messy. I’m not used to people other than my parents coming in here. Just be careful not to step on any pieces of paper,” Raito said as he picked up various pieces of papers that were on the floor, “I like to practice drawing so I can make my own manga.” Not knowing what a manga was Flight asked if Raito could explain to him what is a manga. He explained that they are Japanese comic books but are only in black and white, and look like regular books. Raito passed Flight one of his favorite manga series called I Am Hero which is a series about a young hero name Hiro that uses a special device to summon his hero armor.


“No wonder you’re so adamant about wanting to be a hero. You’re surrounded by nothing but TV shows and books about heroes. Do you have any mangas or comics that’s not about heroes?” Flight asked while he skimmed through the manga.


“I have a few but I just prefer stories about heroes. They make me want to be one and help people that can’t defend themselves.”


“Is it because when you read them you see yourself as the people in background that need rescuing?” Flight asked while he sits on Raito’s bed with I Am Hero in his hand. “I’m glad you look up to heroes and that probably why I got a good feeling from you. I’m not one to stick around after meeting a Gift. But something about you just made me feel compelled to help you out,” Flight said as he puts down the manga.


“You’re not wrong, I do sometimes feel like the people in the background that need rescuing. I think that’s why I just shadowed my ex-friends around. If they weren’t around even though they didn’t treat me like a friend, it was better than having nobody around,” Raito said as he looked down. But then quickly looked backed up with a grin on his face. Then proceeded to whisper that was his old self and now has the confidence to be a hero that he always wanted to be. Flight with a confused looked on his face asked why Raito was whispering. With a short laughed replied with, “because if I yelled out my heroic speech I would have waken up my parents.” With a stoned face, Flight made a quick snort at the funny response and then proceed to ask Raito to tell him about the I Am Hero series.


Without hesitation Raito quickly grab his computer chair and grabbed the manga from Flight. He explained that the main character Hiro went to a special school that trains people to become powerful heroes. They fought against those that threaten justice and peace. In the story there was a hero who was the strongest out of all the other heroes. The power slowly got to his head and left the school and became known as the evil hero. The Hiro tries to become just as powerful as the evil hero and eventually is able to defeat the evil hero. But this is where the plot twist happens. It turned out the reason the guy turned into an evil hero was to create peace. The school was actually creating villains and used heroes to fight the villains so they can charge the government for their services. Realizing that Hiro’s journey to bring peace to world was nothing but a false reality decided to end everything by becoming an evil hero himself in order to complete the original evil heroes goal, to destroy the school. “What happens at the end?” Flight asked showing interest in the story. Raito just simply handed flight the first volume in the series and said that he has to read them to find out. He doesn’t know how long Flight is going to stay in town so by taking the manga. That means he will have to come back to return it and pick up the next volume. While holding on the manga Flight promise Raito that he will make sure to visit him every now and again once he leaves.


Realizing it’s getting late, Flight gets ready to leave but Raito quickly stops hims. “I’ll never stop thinking about becoming a superhero, especially now since I’m a Gift. You know now why I’m so persistent on wanting to use my Gift for good. For now I promise I won’t do anything rash but I can’t promise you that I won't want to be a hero I know I can be once it’s time for you to tell me the full story about Time Keeper and the other Gifts.” With a nod Flight quietly flies out of Raito’s room and into the night. With Flight gone, Raito walks over to his book shelf and picks out the final volume of I Am Hero and turns it to the last few pages. In the last few pages Hiro was able to destroy the school but that’s not the end of the story. Before the school was destroyed a powerful villain was already created and was in the process of making his own school, Vile. Hiro passes out from exhaustion and is then defeated by Vile. Raito puts the manga back into its place and takes out the manga he bought from the comic book store, We Are Hero. “Even when a hero is defeated, there will be those that take their place and continue their work. A hero never dies as long as justice exist.”   


Leech excited to catch Blight doing back deals began following him around and making sure to be around during Blight’s normal route. Blight’s route was normally done as if he had a meeting and would go to various doctors offices. But when it’s time to do deals with hardcore prescription medication, they are done at night at very secluded locations. In order to keep himself hidden from Blight he would turn himself into a shadow in order to be near Blight at all times but not too close to where Blight could sense him. The morning routes went by with no problems but something about Blight’s routes didn’t sit well with Leech. He was noticing that Blight would purposely make some small talk with his clients and hang around the area much longer than necessary. Normally it’s a simple exchange and should not take longer than five minutes. It seemed to Leech that maybe Blight was pulling a show, as if he knows Leech is near and is making sure Leech sees him doing his job.


As Blight leaves his last meeting it was around three o’clock so there was about four hours left before doing the night route. Normally Blight likes to wait out the time at home but decided to spend his time at a café. This only grew Leech’s suspension but decided to leave Blight for now and return once it was time for the night routes. Leech made sure he was far away from Blight and people before turning himself back from a shadow to a person again. Angered that he wasn’t able to get any dirt on Blight he started to swear loudly and flailing his arms around, punching nearby walls and garbage cans. Realising his outburst he tries to compose himself and before he knew it, he was smiling once again. “I might not have found anything on him right now but he will slip up and once that happens. I’ll kill him before he realizes what happens.” Just then Leech’s phone begins to go off and quickly answers it.  “What is it!? I’m sort of busy here...I’m sorting of doing a job right now...well I do have some free time….okay, I’ll stop by right now.” Leech snaps his fingers and a black hole appears on a nearby wall and slowly walks threw it to then appear in a large house. The house’s interior was almost completely white with white tile floors and white paint on nearly every wall. As Leech makes his announcement that he was in the house a man wearing an all white suit and dress pants appear. The man’s skin was light brown and looked to be in his sixties.


“Ah, Leech, I’m happy you were able to see me despite your busy schedule. Time Keeper has been keeping you busy lately. You don’t stop by here as much on your own now,” the man said in a slightly hispanic accent.


“Cut the small talk Soul. You said you had a job for me and I only have about three hours of free time to hear you out.” Leech said has he walked over to a chair to sit himself down on. “And you know buttering me up to give you info on Time Keeper’s operation is pointless. I don’t give him info on you and vice versa.”


“You got me. I called you here because I need you to take out this pharmacist,” Soul said as he hands Leech a photo of the man. He explained that he is currently working on a case to bring up charges against this pharmacist. But while building up his case, Soul decided to visit the pharmacist himself. Being the Gift of Souls allows Soul the ability to read people’s Soul. It’s liking reading a book where every action the person does is inscribed into their soul. He can see things as small as where the person sneezed five years ago to the big things such as crimes they’ve committed and how. This allows a man like Soul who is a lawyer to be able to learn key information on whoever he is defending and how to find evidence to support his claims. When Soul visited the pharmacist he was able to get a clear picture of how to collect evidence to bring about charges against the man. It turns out that the pharmacist has been buying fake knock off prescription drugs and giving them to customers. The pharmacist would then sell the real prescription drugs on the street and to high class people for a large profit. Soul caught wind to this operation when three people had died from an overdose of prescription pain pills but no records of who prescribed them can be found.  


“So what seems to be the problem,” Leech says as he holds up the picture to his face, “oh...I see why now.” Leech starts to smiles and even giggle slightly, “the son of a b***h is a client for Time Keeper. Sure this makes it harder for you but it’s not the first time you’ve put a client of Time Keeper into jail before. Normally it’s people that actually work under Time Keeper is where it’s almost impossible,” Leech says as he puts the picture into his pocket. Soul began to explain that the reason this pharmacist will be much more difficult to throw in jail than normal is due to the fact he can’t get enough physical evidence to convict him. That is because the person who is supplying the pharmacist isn’t a normal person but a Gift. Upon hearing this Leech starts to lean in close to Soul and with a grin quietly ask if the Gift’s name is Blight. Soul nodded his head that it is indeed Blight. Leech leans back into his chair, “I still fail to see what the problem is because everyone is ordered to keep a paper trail of all businesses so it can later be used as leverage in case anything happens and someone tries to back out of deals. But you know that already,” Leech says and he starts to bit the tip of his thumb and smile, “which means there is no paper trail for this guy and that means this is a backdoor deal that Blight shouldn’t be in.” Leech, full of excitement, jumps out of his chair and starts to pace himself around the chair laughing. This, this was the proof Leech needed to be able to kill Blight. All this time he couldn’t find any proof of Blight’s dishonesty but now the proof has landed right onto his lap. As he gets ready to leave and track down Blight to kill him Soul quickly grabs onto Leech’s arms and tells him not to do it. Leech quickly pulls Soul’s arm off of him and snickers at Soul, “I don’t have to listen to you.”


“If you kill him the case me and Hue have been working on will go to waste,” Soul shouted out. As it stands right now this pharmacist is the one that has been supplying Blight with new clients of doctors and other pharmacists. If Blight were to die so would the case because their supplier will be gone and they will go unpunished. Leech, not moved at all continues to ignore Soul’s plea and in a jokily matter asked what would be in it for him if he were to hold off killing Blight. Soul knowing this question would be brought up had an actual response to it. “Time Keeper wants proof of Blight’s betrayal and right now you only have my word. We both know that’s not a good enough of a reason considering the source is coming from me. If you kill Blight right now it will be an empty victory. Don’t you want him to suffer and have his life ruined? This case that I’m working on is exactly a way for that to happen. If you kill the pharmacist, Hue will be doing the investigation for the police and that will be his opportunity to check the guy's computer for leads. Then oops! He just so happens to find information of the prescription drug ring. I get to put lots of people away and Blight’s connections will be ruined and that’s when you come in to rub it in his face and end his life.” As Soul was explaining the chain of events that would happen if he were to let Blight live he began to grin with excitement of ruining Blight’s life. So he agreed to leave Blight alone for now and instead do the job Soul requested instead.


“You got yourself a deal. I’ll carry out this little plan for now. You better win that case or else I’ll find away to get even with you,” Leech says as he leaves the house using his black hole. After Leech left the area Soul began to receive a call from his cellphone. It turns out Flight was on the other line and wishes to set up a meeting with him so he can introduce Raito to him. It was time for Raito to meet him and hopefully join Soul’s alliance.


Leech makes it back to the café where Blight was waiting at and notices he’s already gone. “That f****r knew I was here, I couldn’t have been gone for more than eight minutes!” Angered by this turn of events he begins to put his hands on his mask and starts to rub his fingertips all over it. “Just smile, just smile, everything will be okay when I smile, just smile,” Leech said as he whispered to himself. Whenever his emotions get the better of him he always found comfort in feeling his mask and smiling. “Soul’s plans will work and then I’ll finally get rid of that a*****e,” he continues to say before slowly sitting himself on the floor. Once he had fully calm down he reached into his phone to informed Time Keeper that he wasn’t able to find any evidence of Blight doing business behind his back. But will keep an eye on him just in case. After finishing his phone call he picked himself up so he can go do the job that Soul had just hired him to do.



© 2017 Chafino


Author's Note

Chafino
Critiques are welcomed and appreciated since I want to improve my story telling.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on July 31, 2017
Last Updated on August 1, 2017
Tags: super hero, powers, realism, hero, fiction, teens, gift, action, super powers


Author

Chafino
Chafino

Mesa, AZ



Writing
The Gift The Gift

A Chapter by Chafino


Time to Choose Time to Choose

A Chapter by Chafino