23 Hours After

23 Hours After

A by Dominique
"

done 23 hours after 23 minutes asleep

"

23 Hours After

 

So, I did not pay for my looseness last night. In fact, life even paid me something good. Yeah it did pay me good.

Length really isn’t a vital case in many aspects of life. Entanglements can happen in a instant. An explosion doesn’t even take an hour. Good sleep is 8-10 hours they say. I got 5 hours last night and I didn’t get hit  by a truck upon crossing the street today, didn’t get more than my usual share of  mistakes…neither did I long to crawl in my bed for want of sleep because… I loved what I did last night. I was proud of it even before I ended it with the proper punctuation. And when I finally did, I was happy. And happiness doesn’t tire to, does it? You only need centuries of sleep if you’re put under a spell, the spell of stress.

Well then, it’s just quality that matters in the end, isn’t it? Quality time, quality work. But damn. That means a lot doesn’t it? Quality mattering most in the end? What about effort? It’s not always rewarded in life. More often than not, it’s just output that’s noticed. That’s why detailed work needs love, photographers needs to love their picture more than other people could, mothers need to love her family to keep doing the little things for them. But last night was effortless. And yet I say it was beautifully done. Or I was to me.(laughs)  

Anyways…

Last night was a fit, a special moment where consciousness was held to a different level. I say it was intended for some personal release. I admired my focus, my speed, my passion that made me careless enough to disregard what would have appeared more serious had I considered it cautiously. Sometimes, you just have to keep going, keep doing, keep writing, keep living…without too much regard to your own situation especially if too much regard would destroy you, your momentum, your grace, your good mood. It really isn’t worth the insight you’d get.

So…(yawn)

          Today, after all the money talk, I’m glad I can sit around in front of my laptop and scribble, scribble, scribble though it’s not really the appropriate term. I always wish for this moment you know…the time to unwind by letting out  my thoughts without being forced to hurry or think about other things I have to accomplish in a meager time. I love my freedom these past days…since last week. How did it begin? Hmm I wonder. But probably lamely put, it started in will, my will to be happy at being responsible of my life, my family, my work…naks. It’s true though. I used to fear growing up though I know it’s inevitable, so I merely delayed it not wanting to be a bloodsucking insect at the root of a rabbit’s fur, not wanting to be like everyone else—ordinary. But since I decided to grow up and face the world as it is and not as I want it to be, I’ve become ordinary. And I found one good thing about it. That it isn’t so ordinary to be ordinary. It’s not boring really(though there are moments that are and you need to inject some creativity). All in all, scrubbing the floor, studying for an exam of your hated subject, walking  down the street with everyone else can teach you so many things that are real and beautiful. Learning someone else’s language no matter how “buki” people say it is, is not a loss in your part. Every learning is just additions. But to appreciate that idea, you have to allow yourself to be penetrated by your surroundings. Stop judgmental attitudes, listen and most of all love…the best of it all. Naks, surviving the minutes, the hours and eventually the days is simple really. Just hold on to hope, hold on to love, hold on to the bright side of life.

          I believe…

          People are deeper than wells, perhaps even bottomless. All they need is the courage to go further than what they already have. It’s actually like space exploration without the expensive or sophisticated aircraft vessels. Just you and your mind and soul. Educating yourself in the means of the world is damn fun. It tickles all your senses coz it requires all your senses. You don’t know how lucky you are until you really do, which is when…you feel that you’re thirsty and you have a “tubig machine a few feet from you, you definitely need to hide from the sun and you have an umbrella in your bag, that you need a smile and you get a preschooler sitting beside you in jeepney looking at you like you’re a real marvelous creature who deserves his full attention.

 

          Life is jammed…with learnings you can get for free. So why get a tutorial lesson for learning how to be a person when you can sit in a bench wherever and learn things for free? Man. It’s fun to have a brain. Use it well.

 

          Sorry for my randomness. Really. I’m kinda excited to learn my next free lesson from life.

 

© 2008 Dominique


My Review

Would you like to review this ?
Login | Register




Featured Review

So how did the exam go?

This was fun too, meaning that the other piece wasn't just a fluke; you've got a gift for rambling and intrigue. Felt like I'd gained something from them both after reading, especially this one because of your reflections upon the free lessons that living life offers us. There's a lot out there...it just seems s**t a lot of the time, but i guess that's a problem with my perception rather than the world.

So yeah, nice writing. Thanks for sharing this.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really like dis piece; it good. i like the line; "people are deeper than wells, perhaps even bottomless." its so true.And about the little things in life that come along just when you need them, thats true.keep writing Domz.

Posted 15 Years Ago


You have a certain form to your writing that doesn't reflect fiction, but journaling. As a journal entry and a reflection on your thoughts I appreciate your personal investigation. There are nice reflections on the lessons that life offers us, and your appreciation for your existence dominates this piece.
Your contrast of events in the 'quality versus quantity' argument is nice.
This is more of a personal dialogue with the reader. Which is nice, but not necessarily a story.
One thing which might greatly improve your writing would be if you switched from 1st to 3rd person.
Hopefully you did not find my review harsh, as I liked this piece, but instead found it constructive.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So how did the exam go?

This was fun too, meaning that the other piece wasn't just a fluke; you've got a gift for rambling and intrigue. Felt like I'd gained something from them both after reading, especially this one because of your reflections upon the free lessons that living life offers us. There's a lot out there...it just seems s**t a lot of the time, but i guess that's a problem with my perception rather than the world.

So yeah, nice writing. Thanks for sharing this.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

329 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 4, 2008
Last Updated on September 11, 2008

Author

Dominique
Dominique

Iloilo City, Philippines



About
simply complex...complexly simple...oupadaphic...certainly uncertainly...consistently inconsistent... more..

Writing