Frisco Shakes

Frisco Shakes

A Story by Doña Mario
"

A story about surviving a California earthquake

"

We climbed up the flight of broken electric stairs at the department store trying to avoid the rising water. Trapped onto the second floor without warning we had no other place to go but up. Lost and alone I didn’t know how I got there. Confused of where I was and who I was originally with. I look at the eight terrified faces that are around me but not one looked familiar.

I grabbed my head, aware of the throbbing pain but more worried about the rising water. I suddenly remembered my boyfriend who I was with and the mall we were at. Gabriel, oh no, Gabriel!

I tried to remember what store he said he was heading towards and prayed it wasn’t on the first floor. But what happened? I just remember waking up on the floor while everyone panicked around me.

“What happened?” I asked a man rushing by me on the stairs. He shot his crazy eyes at me and noticed me rubbing my head.

“Earth, quake! Earth, QUAKE!” He managed to hysterically burst out before jamming his way past everyone. I hadn’t noticed I stopped climbing until a lady with curly red hair in front of me yanked at my arm to hurry.

“It’s rising!” She yelled. I was the last one, strangling behind. How do I continue though? With so much fright I stood frozen. Where do I pull courage from to continue? That’s when I saw his face, at the top of the stairs. Gabriel! His eyes were relieved to see me as relieved I was to see his strong arms pulling up those in need. I smiled and climbed.

“Gabriel, I knew nothing can stop you.” I said in comfort. He smiled and pulled me to safety. We eventually made it to the roof where we waited to be rescued. 

© 2011 Doña Mario


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Having survived a 6.2 quake in the bay area I can say this brought back memories for me, good start to a story.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

303 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 19, 2011
Last Updated on October 19, 2011
Tags: Fiction, San Francisco, California, Earthquake, survival

Author