Dragons in Our Midst

Dragons in Our Midst

A Poem by Emily

There are dragons in our midst.
Not the kind confined to legends, safely restrained in the oral traditions.

There are dragons in our midst,
But not the kind with crimson scales and boiling breath.

There are dragons in our midst,
And they are deadly. 
The sharpest swords of legend could not scathe their flanks. 
The most powerful enchanter could not exact any sway. 
These demons' bulging muscles are unmatched; their hatred unfathomable. 

These dragons are within us.

They hatch within the fiery places of our hearts,
Incubated by the the innate seed of our dark sin, red loathing, and purple pride. 


In our core, they build their cave, hoarding glittering treasures of malice, spite, and self-love. 
They feed on these treasures, and as they feed, they grow. 
And we nurture them.

Like sneaking scraps under the dinner table to a dog
We sneakily encourage them to remain; 
To strengthen. 

But we hide them from the prying eyes of our neighbors, 
Determined to wear a veil of purity and innocence. 
But this Bride is stained crimson.
Her dragon grows unchallenged within her chest. 

How can we fight these demons of darkness? These slippery shadows of lust, pride, sloth, gluttony, avarice, and wrath? 
How can we purge our hearts, their hosts, of these harbored criminals?
How can it be that the one they hurt most is their impassioned protector?

How can I wage a war against a foe that I cling to? 
I cannot. 

Lord, help me to love what You love and to hate what you hate. 
Give me the strength to rip out my innermost parts and expose them to Your redeeming light. 
Free Your maiden from her tower of sin.
Brandish your Divine weapon and 
Slay my dragon. 

© 2013 Emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ray
Breath-taking! Brilliant! Brilliant! Only thing is "strengthen" doesn't seem to be the correct word. I do see what you're trying to get at but check out definitions and try to find a word that corresponds a little better - it just sounds like there's something missing right after it and that the sentence structure is wrong. Other than that - excellent!

Posted 7 Years Ago


We all have that evil beast inside of us, longing to come out and wreak havoc. You described that very nature so well within this piece and I loved the analogies you choose, such as 'feeding the dog scraps under the table'. The whole piece, overall, was very creative and well thought out. As always, well done Emily!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I like how you described human nature, we all have darkness within that needs to be overcomed, we can not do it on our own, only God can "slay the dragon" within us that holds us bound.

Good Job

Posted 11 Years Ago


really good piece...i like the analogy of feeding the dog under the table.

we have to love more, and spread more peace...we are such a selfish society in general...

to hell with our fellow man...but with that attitude, that may be our last stop.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

370 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 13, 2013
Last Updated on April 13, 2013
Tags: God, redemption, struggle, sin, christian, dragons in our midst, dragons, Jesus, love, fight

Author

Emily
Emily

WA



About
"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can satisfy, also we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for another world." -C.S Lewis I find that I am able to express.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Statue The Statue

A Poem by Emily