Trust

Trust

A Poem by Emily

Trust

 

What is trust?

And, more importantly, how is it gained?

It is not a currency to be flippantly spent; yet it is the most costly thing in the world.

It is not a Russian-roulette luck-of-the-draw game of chance; yet the stakes are as high as the lottery.

“In God we trust”- Our nation is built upon it, so it must be substantial; yet it is more illusive than the flitting shadow of last night’s dream.

“I trust in you, oh Lord”- The author of the Psalms emphatically declares (Psalms 31:14), so it must be good, and somehow Job still proclaims that he would “trust Him, though He may slay me” (Job 13:15 NIV).

 

It is a rock, a jumping off point, the point of no return, or Julius Caesar’s Rubicon crossing. I is the necessary foundation of any relationship; yet it can shatter into a thousand irrecoverable shards of glass that leave unfading jagged scars.

 

Trust means casting aside the glittering carnival mask that you hide behind and exposing your soul to the revealing light of complete honesty.

Trust is innocent- all children are born with it ingrained in their nature. Only later does it start to take courage to regain that hope that someone is truly and irrevocably on your side.

 

It takes courage to trust.

And to love.

 

Love can be plagued by a smothering panic of indecision and fear because, with every layer stripped bare, there is an opportunity to be harmed that much more fatally. This fear persists- “If I open up my inmost chambers of my heart to you, will you use it against me? Will you bind my hands with the strings of my trust and make me dance at your will like a puppet?”

 

But then, a still, small voice seeps through the cracks.

“Has life treated you so cruelly as to warrant such resistance? Trust life a little more. Trust love.”

 

Love solves Truth’s paradox: it requires two people to exchange vital parts of themselves that they know the other could break. It is an act of faith, and this seemingly fragile action creates a bond of infinite strength.

This bond is not caused by fear of blackmail, abuse, or embarrassment, but instead it is born out of an awe-struck respect and gratitude that overflows with the understanding that you have each been given a priceless gift.

 

I do not trust easily, so when I tell you, “I trust you,” it means more than you know.

 

And I trust you.

Thank you for helping me to find the courage to let someone in. 



© 2015 Emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

you are right of course, trust is beyond any price The future of our race depends upon it, it is the oxygen of existence....You did a pretty good job here. I have to say I don't really like prose style poetry but you raise a few very relevant points...Great accompanying picture too...On the 4th or 5th line you have spelled ELUSIVE with an I

Posted 10 Years Ago


A different style and format. Very well thought out and written. The message for the theme of your poem is epic in its own way. Great job :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is a beautiful piece! Do you mind if I share this with my friends? They will love it!
You did a fantastic job :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Emily

10 Years Ago

I would be honored if you did! Thank you so much! :)
StayAnchored

10 Years Ago

You're welcome! It truly is wonderfull ;)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

319 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 21, 2013
Last Updated on February 19, 2015
Tags: trust, struggle, love

Author

Emily
Emily

WA



About
"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can satisfy, also we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for another world." -C.S Lewis I find that I am able to express.. more..

Writing