Love: The Reality

Love: The Reality

A Poem by Emily

I catch glimpses of you, 
fragments that ripple and dance in the lyrics that stream through my radio. This reflection of your essence glimmers like fireflies at twilight, and I reach out cupped hands to catch your beauty. 
But I know that no song can fully capture who you are to me, for you are one of a kind: An original, not some recycled fairytale. 

You are you, and I am me 
And together we are Us. 
You and me. 
Me and you. 
Us. 
We. 

How beautiful are those words? 
Us. 
We. 

Two people in love so melded together that our seperate beings can be captured in these singular words. 
Us. 
We. 

Two letters: two people. 
One word: one soul. 
Two-In-One.

Beautiful. 
 
And that's how you make me feel. When we embrace, we are one and not two. When our cheeks press tightly together and your warmth seeps through my skin and into my bones, we are one and not two. And when we kiss and our hearts synchronize in a single, quickened heartbeat, we are one and not two. 

I used to think that Love meant surrendering myself to someone else, as if I could somehow become something lesser by giving in to something greater. 
But I had it all wrong. 
For now I see clearly that to love is to surrender myself to myself, throwing aside all stubborn pride and rooting up all fear. I am certain that to be in love is to become greater than yourself: something more, not less. 

I used to think that Love was a singular event: an isolated moment that stretched its consistent fingers in a listless line to infinity. Love could be strong, but it could not grow. But I had that all wrong, too. For now I clearly see that Love is a alive: a morphing swirl of a billion tiny moments that expand in the core of your heart like lungs gulping fresh air- 
Moments that build upon each other in layers of exponential strength and depth, stretching your very innerds to a new capacity to love, to cherish, and to hold. 
 
But what is Love? 
It is the King of all paradoxes: God's winking reminder that the best things in His creation are not limited by human physics nor understanding. 
Love- It is one big thing; it is countless little things. 
It is everything; it is nothing at all. 
It is hard to find; it is right in front of my nose. 
It is shy and demure; it is bold and ostentatious. 
It is ecstasy; it is a struggle. 
It burns you with passion; it breathes chills down your spine. 
It leaves you breathless and panting for air; it lets me breathe freely at last. It consumes my every moment; it sets me free. 
It fills me with an unquenchable fire; it leaves me with a lingering peace. 
It is brand new, yet it has always been inside of me. 
Inside of you. 
Inside of Us. 

 Us.

© 2015 Emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love the words and the image accompanying them. You have captured the essence of love in that it is always in us and it is always evolving. Great write!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Delicately put. Indeed love is "the king of all paradoxes", that fills us with love; that drowns us in tears. As I always express to those writing about love, do not be drawn in by cliche romance - however naturally cliche I know being in love really feels! However, I think you have something very honest here, so my warning us unneeded. Also, the second line of your last stanza I read as "it is one big thing that is countless little things", that too has a ring too it. Well crafted Emily, and whether it remains or not, I am happy for you; for there really is no explanation, or comparative, to the feeling of true love. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


A deeply unique & profound message. Great work. Love is definitely special as long as you have someone to embrace it when it's being given in the right way. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

394 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 7, 2013
Last Updated on March 9, 2015
Tags: Love, first, young love, reality, paradox, us, we

Author

Emily
Emily

WA



About
"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can satisfy, also we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for another world." -C.S Lewis I find that I am able to express.. more..

Writing