The Warrant

The Warrant

A Story by Amund Schofield

It all ended with a knock. After I opened the door the fat one shoved a search warrant in my face. The paper could have been a child’s drawing and I wouldn't have noticed. I was numb to the world.
One of them apologized, the insincerity enveloped his words. He explained they're only here because of my Brother. He had stayed with me when his macabre hobbies had ended the lives of six women. I knew that they wouldn't find any evidence of his dalliances. I made sure that He didn't sully my home any further than I already had.
I knew it wouldn't be long before they found my secret. I had worked tirelessly to erase it from the world. I buried this so long ago it seemed like another life.
I was a teen when they first approached me. They offered me food, shelter and love. It wasn't long before I devoted myself to that family and the nameless god. Then one night our worship became so much more than prayers and song. The nameless god enveloped the basement in which we practiced our rituals. I was awash in his otherness.
As I drowned in him, my eyes were opened beyond mortal perception. Stars and planets flew past me as I traveled through his glory. In that moment he shared with me all that he knew and I needed to know more. My hunger pushed me past him. That's when I found the absolute truth. Though I could not take that knowledge back to this plane, I remain terrified of what I found.
When I had awoken, I found my hands covered in blood then they were wrapped around the shovel that buried them. I knew this wasn't my doing. It was the doing of something more real than anything on earth. It was his doing. That nameless god, whose truth I had hidden.

© 2018 Amund Schofield


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hey Amund... come back, you cant just leave us all like this.. we need a happy ending, do ya hear... Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago


Definitely held my attention too from beginning to end. A lot of pain in between the spaces. A lot of yearning. Enjoyed.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Wow, this was quite a read in a short space of time, macabre, dramatic, dark and interesting. Held my attention from start till end.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 25, 2018
Last Updated on September 25, 2018

Author

Amund Schofield
Amund Schofield

Redwood Falls, MN



About
I like to write. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Amund Schofield