Spiritual Interactions

Spiritual Interactions

A Story by Jason Damstra
"

A Rough Guide to Classifying Interactions with Ghosts and Ghouls.

"

Spiritual Interactions


This document has been created with the sole intent of categorising interactions of a supernatural nature in order for any brave soul to better understand the unseen world around us: the world of spirits. The term ‘spirits’ being used here as an all-encompassing term, including the spirits of human beings, animals, those of a divine or demonic nature and more.


Initially it is important to be able to classify the “levels of interaction” one may experience with the abnatural. I therefore propose that there are at least three levels of interactions with these spiritual beings which at times may overlap or ‘blend’ with one another. An example of this would be with a “poltergeist” an entity believed to physically manifest (level three) but one that remains invisible (hidden within a realm that overlaps our own, a place I have dubbed the “ethereal”- I shall write more on this later) thus it may only overlap with the first two of the three levels. Consequently see chapter five for more on the nature of poltergeists and notable hauntings.


These overlaps mainly occur as a result of each level being a progression of the last.

It is not uncommon for interactions to remain at level one, or at the very most progressing to level two. It is possible however that an interaction move directly to levels two or three without the previous ever having occurred. An observant reader will also note that there exists a considerable overlap between the “levels of interaction” and what may be classed an actual spiritual entity.


Levels of Interaction


Level 1


This level deals with the ‘feelings’ and experiences felt by an individual: 


1. Auditory sensations (‘strange noises’ e.g. knocking, footsteps, scratching sounds or voices without a discernible source)

2. Spiritual unrest (akin to feelings of tension, discomfort or turmoil)

3. Sudden drops/raises in ambient temperature; this may be localized to a certain area. A ‘cold spot’ is a common form of this.

4. Tactile sensations (e.g. being touched by an unseen force or the feeling of wind blowing from a direction with no discernible source)

5. Taste sensations

6. Olfactory sensations (often localized)

7. Changes in the general ‘atmosphere’ of an environment, closely related to Spiritual unrest. (e.g. an open room may suddenly feel very cramped and oppressive)


Level 2


This level deals with actual visual and physical evidence witnessed and recorded (photography, videos, physical samples, etc.) by either a single or group of individuals:


1. Appearance of ‘ghostly’ severed appendages (heads and hands being the most common).

Note " Although these are defined as Class 2 entities according to the “classification system” (see later) they remain a Level 2 interaction rather than a Level 3 as it is assumed the appendages are not the full manifestation of an entity within this world i.e. they are not localized to this time and space.

2. Levitation or the forceful movement of (occasionally multiple) objects, animals or people by an unseen force.

3. The appearance of lights, flames, glowing orbs (“will-o-wisps”) without a discernible source or cause.

4. Noticeable changes in the environment (e.g. blood or water dripping from the walls and ceilings).

5. Appearance of activity in otherwise uninhabited/unfrequented environments (e.g. footprints/claw marks in dust). This does however frequently prove unreliable.

6. The appearance of almost anything unusual that would suggest an influence from either a para- or supernatural source (e.g. bloody footprints or notes) asides from the aforementioned that may be documented in some form.


Level 3


This is the most obvious form of contact with a spiritual force; the manifestation of entities that can both visibly and physically interact with their surrounding environment and the results of such interactions - this includes cases of possession. These manifestations are often accompanied or foreshadowed by elements from the previous two levels.


It is important for one pursuing a career in ghost hunting that they are able to document each of these “levels of interaction” in a purely scientific manner. Eyewitness accounts are often required to be substantiated by an accompanying body of physical proof.


*Note from the Author*

So as you may have guessed, I’m a huge (and nerdy) fanboy of the Ghostbusters films and other media. 

The whole concept is just awesome and shaped a huge chunk of my childhood. I therefore feel it would only be right to let the unique ideas portrayed influence aspects of my writing. The one thing they created that I find particularly noteworthy was a fictive in-depth mythology by blending Lovecraftian elements with the “modern science” of the late 20th century and in that captivated a young viewer’s imagination. 

Getting to the point of this note however, I was thinking of using this piece along with some other fictive material as a forward to a collection of ghost stories/compendia of ghosts and other spirits I’ve been working on :) I’d love to hear what you think? 

© 2016 Jason Damstra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on March 7, 2016
Last Updated on March 9, 2016
Tags: ghosts, ghosthunting, spooks, spectres, ghostbusteresque, classification system, parapsychology

Author

Jason Damstra
Jason Damstra

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa



About
A chaotically diverse individual who mainly enjoys fantasy, fiction and cosmic horror to the extreme. more..

Writing