An Open Letter

An Open Letter

A Story by Jason Damstra
"

Just read it first :P

"

Dear Friends


Giving myself over to thought, I find I am terribly unhappy with the life I’m currently living. I feel consistently constrained by things I’ve yet to achieve and I feel I haven’t grown. Stuck in this limbo of over-thought thoughts and the tedious weight of the familiar (make no mistake dear reader, as familiar as you may be, I certainly don’t find you tiresome). Furthermore the promise of eventual reward for my struggles appears minimal.


I need to find something to devote myself to, something both challenging and rewarding; life changing and developing. I want to go to bed exhausted yet content with the knowledge that I’ve completed something of merit.


My aptitudes are few but worthy of note I feel, foremost amongst them are my remarkable way with words. Though I fear the media, or rather medium is dead. Words change very little unless they’re pointed towards actions. Words, of the spoken kind, not these paltry words on a screen, can change people’s lives, their minds and their views. I’ve always expressed an unhealthy amount of empathy and a feverish addiction to people. These two traits, paired with my ability with spoken word lead me to think that I can well and truly help the people I devote my time to. The next issue that arises is one of access. How, with my remarkable ability to reach peoples soft and juicy cores, do I in fact reach people? I’m deficit a driver’s license, a raw nerve for some time now, but that as a variable should not be an obstacle. There are other means by which I can reach these delicious people. The question remains, should I join a club? A charitable initiative or seek some form of part-time social employment (barring of course retail, the most tedious, unfulfilling, hollow piece of work I’ve ever had the displeasure of experiencing)? 

These are but baby steps and lead me to wonder what more this “social hunting” has to offer. Doors and avenues to novelty and all-pervading newness must exist. With newness comes experiences. Experiences amount to both life and wisdom (and, realistically, no small amount of pain).


These notions all culminate with a question to you friend, have any suggestions?

© 2016 Jason Damstra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on May 9, 2016
Last Updated on May 9, 2016
Tags: Letter, Idea, Help

Author

Jason Damstra
Jason Damstra

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa



About
A chaotically diverse individual who mainly enjoys fantasy, fiction and cosmic horror to the extreme. more..

Writing