Chapter 2--Town

Chapter 2--Town

A Chapter by ~Dragon X
"

Someone important hears about the Cursed Child's imprisonment, and doesn't particularly enjoy it.

"

            “One cabbage, please.” A girl with bright orange hair tapering at her chin and white skin with freckles running over the ridge of her nose placed a silver coin on a merchant’s wooden counter.

The old man running the small shop watched and blinked as she laid out the money in front of him.

            “Are ye’ crazy? You ain’t gonna get a cabbage for a dang silver piece!”

Her green eyes widened. “Excuse me? I thought-”

            “Yer’ talkin’ ten er’ fifteen cabbages!” He made a big toothless grin and began piling fresh cabbages on the counter.

            “I--what?”

The old man bobbed his head and chuckled.

            “Sir, have prices suddenly gone down on cabbages?”

He stopped piling the cabbages and started counting them, warty finger jabbing each one as he did. “You bet! Ever since that cursed child was finally found, the town’s been in a pretty big boom! Ain’t this great?!?”

            She stiffened. “The cursed child?” She felt the quiver and bow on her back feel weightier.

            “You betcha! Weehooo!” He rose his trembling fists in the air like he was years younger.

Fia did not feel great.

Why haven’t I been told this?

Fia didn’t want to think about it now. “Keep the change. I just want the one cabbage.”

            “Heehee, if ye say soo!” He then began the process of returning all of the cabbages laid out for her.

            With cabbage in hand, she turned her back to the counter and walked towards home. She knew there was a reason people were more cheery than usual. She stared into the cabbage she cradled, not knowing what to think.

I thought I was the cursed child.

            Of course, she used to, as the mark never appeared on her palm when she became of age. She felt she could stand the price that came with being one. But it never became her. She walked along the dusty pathway, with stalls on both sides of her, selling more produce than they’ve ever sold in the rest of the season.

            After walking out of the market, she followed the path into her neighborhood and arrived home.  It was actually a big house compared to others in the neighborhood, with two floors and a porch outside Fia’s room on the upper floor. With what she was sent to get, she knocked on the wooden front door. She looked down to see her little sister opening the door for her. Although she was very tiny and about six, she was fairly witty. Her eyes were a light brown, and her hair a similar color. She still bore the freckles Fia had, running over the ridge of her nose.

            “Hi Fia!” She greeted. She absent-mindedly picked her nose. “You got the caggabes!”

 Fia ruffled her little sister’s hair.

            “Hi, Cassie. Don’t pick your nose.”

Cassie displayed a facial expression of fake innocence. “What?? Don’t be the boss.”

Fia rolled her eyes, and they walked inside. It was as nice as it was inside as it was outside. Carpets adorned the marble floor and there were paintings and hangings on the peach-painted stone walls.

            To the right of her upon entering was the kitchen. She heard something cooking on a pan over the fire. She walked inside and saw her mother, in apron and pink dress.

She turned to face her daughters as they walked in.

            “Ah, hi Cassie. Oh, Fia! You got the cabbage. Good to see you!”

Fia gave her mother a stern look. “Mother, I want to know why you didn’t tell me about the cursed child’s capture.”

Fia’s mother’s eyes drooped, and she sighed. “Fia….I didn’t know how you’d react.”

Fia walked up to her and slammed the cabbage on the kitchen counter.

            “Well I don’t know how to react, either.”

Fia--”

“I’m going training.”

Fia lifted the bow slung on her back and stormed outside.

 



© 2012 ~Dragon X


Author's Note

~Dragon X
I haven't made a chapter for this book in a long time, so here's one now! XD I'm kinda...improvising. o3o I hope you like it--even though the chapter's really short. >.<

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

So much better. Love it if it was longer. I love all the thought that you put into this, also CABBAGES!!!!

Posted 1 Month Ago


this is much better! but again, i wish you could make it longer, because so far, both chapters have a strong beginning, but a weak ending as a chapter. so you should probably work on that, but i'm very interested in what will happen next. so please keep me updated with future chapters ^-^

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very interesting. It is strange hoe Fia thought she would be the cursed child...Overall very cool so far XD

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oooohhh, I really like this, even it is is kind of short. I love how you portrayed the old man and Cassie; I could see them clearly. Although, I am curious why Fia thought SHE was the cursed child...

Anyway, fantastic write, as usual. Can't wait to see more for this! :D

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 16, 2012
Last Updated on March 16, 2012


Author

~Dragon X
~Dragon X

Riding Dragons, OH



About
hi I'm basically a ghost here now I show up once in a blue moon I'm all over this nifty lil place called wattpad now, but my writing still sucks so don't go there body, a, a:hover { cursor:url.. more..

Writing
The Reason The Reason

A Poem by ~Dragon X



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fear Fear

A Story by ~Dragon X