Urban Legend

Urban Legend

A Story by Cypress

It happened not far from where I live.  They say she still walks there, pale silver white in the moonlight, searching, waiting for her heart to beat one last time so she can feel love again.  She died carrying that torch of love lost, blaming herself for losing it, never forgiving herself.  They had married in 1907 by the waterfall not far from the rocky cliffs that surrounded the area, flowers in her hair, her white wedding dress flowing gently in the breeze behind her.  And to please him, she wore that dress for him every anniversary, cherishing that day, holding it dear in her heart.  But as time and years went by, they began to grow distant, estranged, and after a time, he left her.  There was no big fight, no unkind words, just a note on her pillow saying goodbye.  She was heartbroken, devestated, and could not be consoled.  She would walk the path to the waterfall where they had wed for months hoping, praying, that he would be there waiting for her - but he never was.  She learned later on through friends that he had remarried, a woman younger than her, and started a family, which left her more lonely depondant then ever.  She turned away friends that came to call until there was no one left, became a recluse, refusing to leave the home they had shared together, walking the empty halls that once echoed with their laughter.  Over time her sorrow consumed her completely, her house fell into disrepair, as did her mind.

The authorities found her wedding dress by the cliffs near the waterfall where she had taken her vows with the love of her life.  Her body was never recovered.  There was no note, no sign that she was even there - just silence.  Local legend says she jumped from the cliffs into the waterfall, drowning her sorrows and ending her suffering on the jagged rocks far below. But every year during the full moon on the date of her anniversary she is seen walking the path to the waterfall in her wedding dress, torn, tattered, tearful - searching for her love to return, doomed never to find him again.    How do I know this?  Because I bought the house she used to live in with her love.  And in the dead of night, you can hear soft footsteps and low crying in the hall - the cry of a woman who suffered as much in life as she does in the afterlife.   

© 2008 Cypress


Author's Note

Cypress
Let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on May 19, 2008

Author

Cypress
Cypress

NY



About
41 year old female who loves writing short stories. Mostly into horror, suspense, and fantasy writing. Have written some childrens stories as well. more..

Writing
Asylum Asylum

A Book by Cypress