Chapter One: The Teachings of an Owl

Chapter One: The Teachings of an Owl

A Chapter by Drainford

The breeze echoed through the leaves of a medium sized oak tree durning a mild rainy day. Below at the forest floor was a small rectangle door, an odd thing to see at the base of a tree isn’t it? It belonged to a family of squirrels, The Hedgemens. The Hedgemens had lived in this tree since it was 43 years old, generations of their family have been in this oak tree. The current populous was 3, the mother, father, and son. The Hedgemens were a proud family, they went about their lives blissfully staying out of trouble with neighbours and humans who stupidly came through their forest. 

The son, Rudy, chittered to himself as he stepped out of a hollowed out knot and climbed onto the branch, raising his nose to the sky. The sunlight shone slightly through the tightly knit leaves and tinted the top of the trees bark a dim green, he wished he could see the sky. The dampness smelt wonderful as the aroma wafted up from the floor below, he was looking for food. There were holes everywhere amongst the tops of the bark, plenty of families were living in this forest, much higher than usual, mostly for safety.

‘Rudy, what are you doing out on that branch?’ came his fathers voice from inside the tree, he was a stern squirrel. His fur was a fading red to grey, he wasn’t as thin anymore now he was a larger more recognizable squirrel, the forest knew him. He helped defend the forest many years ago before Rudy was born, against a stray dog who liked to terrorize poor defenseless kits. What is a kit you may ask? A kit was their word for baby squirrels, new borns. His father was a considered the bravest member of the forest when he offered to be a decoy to be chased about as the families moved about strategically high above them. 

A trap was lowered as he made his way towards the agreed upon spot, the pond. He had raced towards the pond faster that he anticipated and leaped almost over it entirely, landing on some pre-set out logs for his safety. The dog splashed into the pond and the trap was dropped upon him, a typical tarp with rocks heavy enough to weigh down the terroristic pooch. The dog sank under the weight and eventually drowned, the forest was that much safer without him around now and it was because of Rudy’s father.

‘Just looking about’ replied Rudy from his perch on the middle of the branch, his whiskers were twitching in the breeze. He looked down at the floor and saw nobody outside, it was still damp from the rain and most squirrels hated the dampness.

‘Well come back inside, your mother worries about you taking a dive off that damn thing’ said his father.

‘I wont be jumping on purpose Dad’ He said, feeling smart to himself. His father turned away towards the inside of the tree.

Doesn’t mean it wont happen’ Rudy caught a glimpse at a scar on his back right leg he had seen all too many times before. Two years ago when Rudy was a baby, his father was walking amongst the branches on a particularly rainy afternoon when he missed a step and fell down thirty odd feet. That was his first ever encounter with a human, a young boy who was walking with his father had found him licking his wound, trying to figure out what this white stick was poking out of his skin. The man had picked him up and took him away for a couple of days much to his wife’s dismay, she watched as the man and boy trailed off with him. Rudy’s father never really talked about what happened while he was under their care, Rudy figured because his father wanted him to fear the humans. 

As Rudy climbed back inside a raindrop fell upon his head, at this point in time most forest critters would have uttered a few choice words at the thought of being wet without their permission but not Rudy, he had enjoyed water. It gave him comfort; the water droplets sinking under his coat and touching his skin, rather enjoyable he thought to himself. 

‘It hasn’t rained like this in quite a while, huh dad?’ He hopped through the hollowed out knot skittered across the floor. There tree was fairly large, the thickness was at most the size of a large round dinner table used by humans, plenty of space for the Hedgemens.

‘Not really, we could always use more rain though’ his father replied thoughtfully.

‘Why is that?’

‘Simple, the rain waters the grass with soaks into the earth. The trees suck up the water through their roots and in turn they produce acorns, which we eat’ 

‘Mr. Gimbals said that trees get sunlight through their leaves, thats how they eat’  said Rudy. Mr. Gimbals was an elderly owl known by the whole forest, he shared his knowledge of science to the forest folk; many didn’t approve. The talks he gave to Rudy fascinated him, he loved to listen to him talk about science. Mr. Gimbals was in human years old enough to retire, the term he used, which raised questions by most of his pupils. 

‘What does re-tyre mean, Mr. Gimbals?’ asked one once.

‘When humans are on in their years they stop working at their jobs and careers to retire for the rest of their lives’ he told them. 3 more words that raised questions, the kids search knowledge kept him young. Mr. Gimbals was the forest’s only teacher.

‘That old bird couldn’t tell his a*****e from a hole in the ground, he’s been poked with too many instruments used by humans. He’s gone insane and makes up things as he goes along’ said Mr. Hedgemen ‘Don’t listen to everything he tells you, the  last thing this forest needs is more crazy’.

Rudy hopped along to the pile of acorns they had stored in the corner and picked up a small one and sunk his teeth into it. 

‘I dunno dad, he doesn’t seem that crazy’ said Rudy without looking up from his headless acorn ‘maybe just a little eccentric’

‘He’s going to talk to us about human’s today’ Rudy was always eager to know more about them, the fleshy pink people. What kind of role did they play in the world, did they impact the earth in a great way or a bad way, Mr.Gimbals had the answers. Rudy’s mother was more or less upset with the idea of Rudy learning from an Owl, Owls eat squirrels and majority of the other rodents under his supervision. Mr. Hedgemen climbed up from his seat in the middle of their tree-home an came over to Rudy. He felt a paw on his shoulder, his head turned.

‘Don’t believe everything you hear son, human’s aren’t to be trusted’ Mr Hedgemen didn’t need to show Rudy his scar, he just stared him dead in the eye. 

‘I don’t like that Owl’ said a small female voice in the corner, both Rudy and his father turned. Rudy’s mother was a slim brown squirrel with a pink nose, she gingerly made her way over to them. ‘He doesn’t sit well with me, good intentions or not’ she remarked. Rudy understood his mothers concern more than she realized, Mr.Gimbals was after all an owl. You may ask yourself, why would an owl waste it’s time with a squirrel? The answer is very obvious, owls are carnivores; they eat squirrels. Rudy’s mother said she would never trust an owl, they’re no good she proclaimed after one made off with her own mother.

The wind out side the tree caused the branches to creak and crack as they swayed, the smell of dampness came in and made Rudy feel better the day to come, rain and it’s aftermath often did. Rudy’s father gave his wife a nibble on her ear, she bent it down a closed her eye adjacent to it; instinct. At precisely this moment another young squirrel poked her head into the Hedgemens home with the utmost politeness and kept her eyes locked at the floor, this squirrel was Emica. Her fur was a nice black with a full tail, eyes bright blue. Rudy’s heart fluttered; he though she was beautiful. Unbeknownst to Rudy; she knew about his crush, she wasn’t stupid after all, she was the brightest kit anyone knew.  There’s that word again, kit, if you have forgotten, kit means ‘Young folk’ please remember this for later.

‘May I enter?’ she asked as politely as possible, she was very thoughtful and considered forethought one of her greatest qualities. Rudy’s father turned towards her and his wife’s ear perked up again. Mrs. Hedgemen liked Emica, thought she was as kind and as careful as the pond skippers themselves. Mr. Hedgemen hopped over to her and put his arm around her.

‘Emica, how many times must I tell you, you don’t need to worry about being rude. You’re always welcome here’ he said with a smile so inviting she almost called him Dad. She looked up from the floor and made eye contact with him and blinked twice, a sign of eternal gratitude amongst squirrels; other creatures thought this weird. She made 20her way into the home blinking twice to Mrs. Hedgemen as well, she returned the kind gesture with her own quickly paced blinks; Emica smiled. Her body stopped in front of Rudy, his eyes looked into hers. I love your eyes he thought to himself realizing he’d never say out loud. I love you she said in his mind.

‘Are you ready to go?’ she said taking him away from his thought, he forgot what today was for a quick second and then remembered almost instantly. It was time for another lesson with Mr.Gimbals.

‘Yes, I’m ready. We can leave now’ he said not taking his eyes off her, the beauty came off her like a radiant glow. Emica smiled and turned towards the main hole and skipped over too it while blinking towards Mr. & Mrs. Hedgemen; they blinked back. Rudy followed and hopped out the hole and onto a small awning on the outside of the tree. Emica began down the main branch jutting out from the side and leaped from it and landed on a smaller branch a couple feet down as he feet grasped the wood she turned her head back to see Rudy following suit; he wasn’t as fast but he wouldn’t lose her. He took a couple of big steps and leaped from his place and fell to the branch below behind Emica who waited patiently. She looked at him with king eyes, she was smiling and not realizing it.

‘What is it?’ he asked noting her smile. She said nothing but nodded towards the path in front of them and they kept on their way. His eyes followed her hips and bum as she ran in front of him, he could see under her tail and he enjoyed it. He thought about it at night some times as his hand drifted southward. He thought about mating with Emica a lot, he considered it to be a past time that only he knew about. He was after all a male and she a female, it made perfect sense didn’t it? He wanted it and would go to any lengths to get to her, did she feel the same way? He didn’t know, he was too afraid to ask, his mouth remained shut even at the most opportune moments; would he ever ask? Their journey lead them across many trees and ponds below, they crossed human roads by way of telephone wires, they made their feet tickle  when they touched them. Soon before long they had to reach make their way to the floor as there were no-more tree’s in their paths they had left their forest and entered a small woods. The small woods grew around a large pond directly at the center, flowers bloomed around it of all colours and sizes, 

Rudy had brought his mother some once. The tree’s around the pound were tall and provided protection from humans and wandering animals, the inhabitants were safe. After some more walking they finally reached the den of Mr.Gimbals, others were gathered inside it already. Among other squirrels, mice, chipmunks and even a chickadee were seated around Mr. Gimbals perch, all waiting eagerly for his arrival. Rudy and Emica entered the den and sat down and joined in the waiting, some of the classmates were talking with each other and trading secrets and gossip, classic chipmunks. 

‘Chipmunks are useful to no-one, Rudy. Their only purpose is to spread gossip and lies amongst the forest, thats why their cheeks are so damn large. They’re filled with secrets and one day they’ll pop’ said his uncle once. ‘When they do you’ll hear nothing but bad news and hurtful s**t!’ Rudy didn’t agree with the way his Uncle thought about chipmunks, he thought it was hateful and even everyone deserved kindness even chipmunks.

‘Emica, how is your family?’ asked another squirrel named Hamlet, too old to be considered a kit. He sat down next to her and greeted her with a blink and a smile. She returned the gesture, although she didn’t mean it; she was just being kind after all. Hamlet was a noisy and boisterous squirrel by nature, although he couldn’t help it it he grew on others nerves quickly, point and case Emica. He tried tirelessly to impress her, leaping from the highest branches and getting chased by larger rodents such as rabbits and rats all to no avail, Emica wasn’t interested. His question seemed generally thoughtful and she had no problem answering him.

‘They’re fine’ she replied ‘thank you for asking’ she added kindly. It was not in her nature to be rude but she wished he would just leave her alone, Rudy noticed and stepped in.

‘You should take your seat Hamlet, Gimbals will be here soon’ he said hoping he would get the message hidden in his statement; he didn’t. Hamlet stood up and looked at him then back at Emica in disgust.

‘Are you two f*****g?’ he asked aloud, drawing others attention, something he was good at doing. There was a a*****e smirk across his face, he knew what he did by asking that. Emica’s face grew red with embarrassment and she starred at the ground, too chagrined to say anything. Murmurs began in the crowd of onlookers, the den began with rumors and questions. Emica covered her ears, tears almost brimming her eyes; Rudy was angry. 

‘No we aren’t’ he said standing up chest level with Hamlet ‘and what business is it of yours?’ His paws clenched into fists; he was ready to use them. Rudy wish he could have said Yes we are, thank you for asking Mr. Jealous but kept quiet. Hamlet got closer to Rudy, he was two human fingers taller. The smirk on Hamlets face was starting to make him more angry, I hate this guy! Rudy’s mind raced.

‘I’m allowed to ask whatever I damn well like, you tiny s**t’ Hamlet bellowed staring down at him, Rudy raised his fist so quickly most of the crowd blink.

‘That’ll be all’ said a raspy voice from behind them. Everyone turned towards it except Emica, her eyes still fixated at the ground in front of her. Mr.Gimbals had come in from behind his door and had been seated on his perch for some time. He was a large grey owl, his beak black with cracks and scratches across it. His eyes were bright  and yellow, they showed youth and knowledge behind them. This feathers were dim grey with black tips, he closed his eyes.

‘I remember when I entered I was greeted by a group of quiet and calm kits, where did this boast angry vigor come from?’ he asked. Nobody answered, the silence was enormous. ‘Nobody has anything to say? Emica, honey?’ his eyes never left Hamlet. Emica eyes lifted to his with such speed it was is she was slapped, her nimble little arm raised up and pointed at Hamlet. Mr. Gimbals eyes blinked at Emica; a thank you.

‘Hamlet, have you anything to say?’ he asked him. Hamlet turned towards him and said nothing, what was he to say? Rudy was still angry, he wished he could give Hamlet a swift smack in the head but the owl wouldn’t allow it. Rudy lowed his fist.

‘Rudy, you were going to react with violence?’ asked the owl, he was concerned about this most of all. When ever a creature acts with violence it lowers their place in society to that of a human, the lowest of all. 

‘I might have’ he said with disdain. 

‘Don’t lower yourself to a human’s place Rudy, your father is such a respected person amongst the forest. What do you think he’d say if he found out about such an act?’ Mr.Gimbals was right, Rudy knew better but sometimes it felt good to ruin somebody’s day with a knock to the head. Mr.Hedgemen was known throughout the forest for his bravery earlier discussed in the removal of an evil and tormenting dog, I hope you still remember that.

‘He’d probably not be to happy about it, I’d wager’ answered Rudy respectively. He felt slightly better but not by much, Hamlet was still smirking.

‘Thats right, take your seat please’ Rudy did so. The owls old yellow eyes turned towards Hamlet and made a chill roll down his spine. ‘Now Hamlet, what was the word you used earlier in regards to the possibility of Emica and Rudy?’ 

F*****g’ answered Hamlet. He knew what it meant and so did the owl.

‘What a terrible word’ answered the owl ‘you should be ashamed such language has crossed your lips. I will not have that in my den, if you wish to talk like a piece of trash then you shall sit outside like one’ said the owl. ‘ Go on’. Hamlet’s jaw dropped and he was shocked at the owls reaction. Hamlet tried to argue the owls offer but owl’s eyes narrowed.

‘Leave!’ he raised his voice and made a couple of the listeners in the den jump. Hamlet shook his head and tried standing his ground but the owl leaped over the group of kits and landed in front of him, startling Hamlet so bad he squeaked out loud. A smile grew on Rudy’s face. Hamlet turned and scurried out of the den and left on his way home. His pace slowed as he left the den.

f**k’ he said to himself as he left. The owl turned around and hoped back to his perch as he climbed up onto it.

‘I apologize for such a display’ said the owl after some time ‘Emica, I do hope you’re not still upset with his behavior’ Emica shook her head, she had stopped crying. She smiled at the owl and blinked twice, thank you. He nodded in return. ‘Rudy, I’m sure Emica appreciates your defending her honor but please use your head next time don’t bother with pointless violence. Be smart’ he finished. Rudy said nothing.

‘Now, where did we leave off last week?’ asked the owl. ‘Was there anything you wanted to learn about?’

Some raised their paws and wings, the owl turned towards Tasha, youngest kit in the den.

‘What are those hard stone wires they have on the tops of naked trees?’ she asked, Tasha wasn’t the brightest student but her question was of no mediocre display, a couple of the kits lowered their hands as if to say her question had been theirs as well. The owl smiled and began to speak ‘Thats a good question Tasha, those are called telephone wires. Human’s use them to run information and their voices’ he answered.

A couple of gasps swept through the crowd of kits, they were amazed by what they just heard.

‘What do you mean voices?’ asked a chipmunk. ‘how do they do it?’

‘Well, I’m not sure how they do it but it follows a simple principle, two humans are needed for this to work. For instance, if one human uses a telephone and makes a call to another human and the second human isn’t there, the call is null void. If the other human is there however, the two have a connection and engage in conversation’ Some of the audience members were so amazed with what Mr.Gimbals had told them, Emica was one of them. The owl reached behind his perch and pulled up a small empty acorn and with a sting through the bottom leading to another acorn with a string in the bottom.

‘I’ve made a simple demonstration for you kits. Chelsea can you please come up here?’ asked the owl. A young squirrel of light brown fur stood up and came to the perch and he handed her one half end of an acorn.Emica, can you come up here too please?’ Emica stood up and hopped over to the owl and she received the other acorn. 

‘Now Chelsea, please go behind that door for a moment and when I say ready, I want you to talk into that acorn. Say hello Emica’ the young squirrel gave him a questionable look, she was confused but she disappeared behind the door. 

‘Emica, hold your acorn up for the rest of the group to see and hear’ she did so. Mr.Gimbals gave Chelsea the signal to begin talking.

Soon the acorn Emica was holding was talking to her. Hello Emica, boy do I look silly talking to an acorn. It said.

The class was stunned and surprised, they giggled after the surprise wore off. Emica was smiling too, she took the opportunity to reply to Chelsea. Her sweet tender voice that Rudy loved so much filled the acorn in the other room.

‘Do you still think it’s crazy Chelsea?’ asked Emica. A squeak of surprise filled the acorn in Emica’s paws. The group of kits giggled with laughter, even the owl was chuckling to himself. Chelsea came back to the class room and took her seat. The owl began up again.

‘You see, the acorns act as the communication devices in the humans homes and the string acts as the telephone wires. Their voices go through the acorns and travel across the string to the other acorn. Very simple to think about it but it’s very complex at the same time’ A round of applause rose through the kits like wildfire and the owl closed his eyes and nodded. He raised his hands.

‘It’s getting dark now children, you should all be getting back to your homes. I’m glad you guys enjoyed my teachings. Please take care on your way home. I’ll see you all next time’ The owl got up and climbed back behind his door. Emica and Rudy left the den and climbed the nearest tree and got back onto the telephone wires they were previously on. They traveled back to their homes safely in silence until they reached Emica’s home. She turned and met Rudy’s eyes. She was quiet.

‘Thank you...’ she said blushing. ‘For standing up for me’ Rudy wanted to say No sweat, I’d kick his a*s if he ever hurt you but nothing came out; just a smile. She leaned forward and kissed him on the nose and blushed again before she jumped into her home. Rudy stood there in silence for a couple of seconds before an even bigger smile stretched across his face. He ran off home, the smile never leaving his face. 

A pair of eyes watched Rudy as he made his way home. They were plotting something.



© 2013 Drainford


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

362 Views
Added on May 26, 2013
Last Updated on May 26, 2013
Tags: animal, squirrel, adventure, nest, forest, tree, reference, short, story, humor, kidnapping


Author

Drainford
Drainford

Canada



About
21 year old college student. Film Student & Composer. I write music, lyrics, short stories, cartoons, scripts and many other things. more..

Writing