Chapter Two: A Deal Most Foul

Chapter Two: A Deal Most Foul

A Chapter by Drainford

The hole was dark and filled with grim and dirt, the ends of worms hung from the ceiling still moving about like a limp hose on the lawn. The tunnel ran for a good forty feet before a small wood door stopped the path, a dim light shone from behind it; strictly from a single burning candle. There were some some shelves around the room that seemed to have been made from decaying driftwood, they held bottles of forest made alcohol and old fruit. A small round table sat in the corner of the room with two figures seated with their backs against the wall, the small candle between them both. The two creatures sat silently, waiting for a third who agreed to meet them at a precise time, the time had not yet come but it was approaching fast. The two who were already seated were wearing cloaks that hid most of their features, they preferred to be discreet especially with the business they worked in. The first cloak was dark brown fitted with random grey patches where sewing had once taken place, he was a fat creature, very stout. The other had a deeply crimson cloak, almost the same shade as day old blood, the edges were black and it was coming apart, the wearer was of spindly type.

‘Where is he?’ asked one to the other. ‘It’s almost time’. The first was growing angry, he didn’t like to be kept waiting.

‘Calm down, brother. He’ll be here. If he had any guts he’ll be here’ he replied as he brought a cup to his lips a sipped at it. They sat there for a short time more before they here footsteps coming down from the other side of the door, they were walking slowly.

‘He’s probably’ scared shitless, no doubt’ said the first, again to the second. The door opened inward, slowly until it was flush with the wall behind it; a young squirrel stepped inside. He was of short stature, brown hair and tuft ears. He advanced inside slowly, his eyes rolling around in his head looking at everything. He was terrified; the two behind the table could easily see. 

‘Sit’ said the second. The squirrel jumped a little and hopped quickly towards the table and sat down, it was a small handcrafted stool, a most uncomfortable place to park one’s a*s. The squirrel sat nervously, the figures were considerably smaller than he; he was in the wrong place and he knew it.

‘Why did you contact us?’ asked the first, breaking the dreadfully bittersweet silence. His voice was deep and rough at the same time, almost like a grandfather who told stories to his children’s spawn. He stared at the squirrel from under his hood, two large haunting ruby’s.

‘I have something that needs to be done’ said the squirrel in a small voice, he was trying to seem polite. He moved around in his chair trying to get comfortable, it was an unobtainable goal. The candle flickered for the last time as it went out leaving the kit and the two hooded creatures alone in the darkness. Now as I’m sure you’re aware squirrels don’t normally move around at night, their vision isn’t as good as humans. The squirrel screamed as he found himself in dark nothingness, fearful of what possible impending doom was about to happen but nothing touched him. Something bright erupted in front of him, a small match was struck; he watched it float ominously to the candle and it was lit once more filling the room with a dim orange hue. The two creatures were still in their seats, neither made a sound. The kit recomposed himself and stared at the table.

‘I...I’m sorry’ he said ‘it took me by surprise’ he wasn’t fooling either of them. One pair of eyes narrowed on him.

‘Can we please get this s**t over with? Said the second ‘this squirrel is making me hungry’ The squirrel threw a small bag of unidentified contents over to them, it sat there for the rest of the meeting. A small buzzing noise filled the squirrels ears as he noticed a fly was hovering over him, he found it intrusive and swatted at it. The sound of a whip echoed in the small room as a long pink appendage snatched the fly out of the air and carried it back to the mouth of the first creature. The high pitched screams of the fly were heard as it tried to climb out of it’s poachers mouth. Help it screamed as the upper lip collided with the top of it’s head, severing it diagonally. The young squirrel watched in terror as a piece of it’s skull landed on the table only a short distance from the previously tossed bag.

‘Whiny b***h’ said the second creature. The first picked up the fly’s skull and popped it into his mouth, closing it with a crunch. The squirrel was feeling ill, almost faint. His hand was over his mouth and he was trying to keep it together, that sound he never forgot. What the hell am I doing here? He thought, I shouldn’t have come. It was too late for him, the meeting had begun and they needed to talk about what was to needed to be done, why the squirrel had arrived as previously agreed.

‘Everything that was asked for is in the bag, you can check it if you’d like’ reassured the squirrel. Neither creature made any movement towards the bag, they knew everything was going to be in there. The squirrel had no reason to make enemies with them, they were counting on it.

‘We trust you youngin’ said the first. ‘I think’d you’d rather not try to f**k with us eh?’ he added. The squirrel shook his head without hesitation, he was terrified just being in the same room with these two. The first raised his hands and pushed his hood back revealing his face to him, he was a toad. His face was covered with scars, warts and blemishes, he was hardly anything to look at.

‘Obviously you know who we are’ said the uncovered toad. The squirrel nodded. ‘Who?’ he asked him.

‘The Soggy Toad brothers’ replied the squirrel. What a stupid name, they lack creativity he thought to himself, something he’d dare not say out loud. Neither of the creatures said anything other than a nod to confirm. ‘So you can do what asking of you?’ again nothing but a nod to the young squirrel was given. The spindly brother removed his hood, he was handsome for a toad thought the squirrel. 

‘We can do it, yes. You’ve come to right toads’ said the stout brother. He raised the cup to his mouth and made a disturbing swallowing sound as he drank, it made the squirrel uneasy.

‘We’ve been in this business a long time, whatever you want done it’ll get done’ said the spindly one. The toad got up and walked around to the squirrels side of the table, all of the hair on his neck stood up, he made note of this. ‘Are you scared youngin’?

‘Deeply’ he replied. No point in lying to them, I’ve got no reason to he thought as the toads hand landed on his shoulder. The stout brother pulled out a pipe and lit it from the candle, bringing it to his lips, he puffed some smoke towards the squirrel before him. It made his eyes water, his paw wiped tears away.

‘You’re a little young to be wanting this don’t you think?’ said the spindly brother behind him. I’ve got my reasons thought the squirrel, he had to explain nothing to them.

‘I’m older than I look, sir’ he said turning around in his seat towards the toad. A fist was in his face in a second flat but it never made contact as the squirrel fell off his stool and onto the floor. His arm was covering his face, it was shaking like a beetle stuck on it’s back. His chest was raising up and down with such force, he could have popped a lung. The squirrel was waiting for the impact but it never came, laughter was what he heard next.

‘Methinks you’re a little young still, squirrel’ said the spindly brother still standing above him, he crossed his arms. Slowly the squirrel got back on the stool and faced the one behind the table.

‘I’m not a baby’ he mustered up.

‘No not at all’ said one of them. The other toad took his seat beside his fat brother, taking another sip of his drink. The smell in the room was getting to him, it was moldy and reeked of dead earth. Toads always pick the worst places to live and breed. At this point the squirrel began to miss his home in the tree, he needed to leave and go back to the world he knew; being this far under the ground was not normal for a squirrel. He didn’t like it one bit.

‘What do you want us to do with the girl?’ asked the stout brother, a gleam of evil in his eye. ‘We could have a lot of fun with her’ he added with a grim chuckle, the squirrel knew what he meant. These a******s, these b*****d toads.

‘Hey brother, you ever did it a squirrel?’ he said slapping the spindly one on the back with a hearty chuckle. The other toad joined in.

‘Once, a long time ago, didn’t care for it. You have your fill’ he said. The two had already figured out which one of them were going to have sex with their prisoner as if it was a coin flipping contest, the didn’t even know who she was. B*****d toads!.

No, you aren’t to harm her or do anything like that to her!’ said the squirrel standing his ground. ‘Thats not what I’m paying you for’ The toads were taken back, almost insulted by the statement set before them.

‘I beg your f****n’ pardon’ asked the one. His face grew red, an ugly colour for a toad if you’ve ever seen it. He got up and slammed his fist on the tab, the squirrel cowered before him. ‘We do what we please, you stupid s**t!’ his voice raised. ‘If we say we’re going to, then thats all there is too it! Do you hear me?!’ B*****d toads!

The squirrels head nodded, he felt sick to his stomach.

‘You can leave now’ said the fat brother. Both were annoyed with his presence more than before he grew balls. The squirrel got up and staggered to the door his arms like limp reeds in a pond, he grabbed the door handle and opened it. A long dark tunnel stood before him, it was going to be the second time he passed through it. The toad’s voice came once more from behind him before he stepped through the passage.

‘What did you say your name was kid?’ The young squirrel stopped and turn towards him, eyes locked in contact. 

‘I didn’t’ he replied, why does he want to know my name? His hand rested on the door knob.

‘Why don’t you?’ he asked again. The squirrel reached for anything, what name was he to give him? I can’t give them my own name, thats just stupid. Think!

‘Rudy Hedgemen’ said the squirrel. The toads smiled politely.

‘Pleasure making your acquaintance Rudy’. The squirrel turned and closed the door behind him.

B*****d toads.



© 2013 Drainford


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
Added on May 26, 2013
Last Updated on May 26, 2013
Tags: animal, squirrel, adventure, nest, forest, tree, reference, short, story, humor, kidnapping


Author

Drainford
Drainford

Canada



About
21 year old college student. Film Student & Composer. I write music, lyrics, short stories, cartoons, scripts and many other things. more..

Writing