Once Upon A Time.

Once Upon A Time.

A Story by Draven_Writes

Once upon a time....If that is the only way to start this story in order to make you happy, You probably think that this book is going to be about an adventure that would end with a happily ever after. I'm sorry to tell you this, but I am not that type of writer, far from it I'm afraid. If you don't like books that talk about depressing events and people that don't want a happy ending  then i suggest that you put this horrid book on the shelf and think about it again. 
Chapter 1
What is my life story? I really don't know how to respond to that question, because frankly I really don't know. People talk about how good their life is and how they wouldn't change a single thing of their life. I wish that i could be one of those people. My life is probably one of the most depressing you might ever hear. I don't know where to begin though. Where would you want me to begin? The beginning? Well tat would be one long story, well i need to make this long anyways, so mine as well. 

I was born March 1, 1997 in Detroit, Michigan. My name is Tom Koch. I was my mother's first pregnancy, but far from her last. I remember when I would see her laying on the bed or the couch saying to me, "This one's going to make it, I promise." Whenever she said that to me she would always have a certain look in her eyes that gave me hope. I didn't understand what that hope was about until I became older. When I became older I found out that she had five miscarriages when i was young. 

I have always wanted a brother and/or sister, but I knew that I would have one, at least not one that I would want to have around. During my life I have seen strange things and I honestly don't think that it will ever stop. I have felt things that no one has and ever will feel in their lifetime. What I have noticed in life is that people really choose what happens to them, it just happens. That is what makes us who we are, not by what we choose, but by what happens around us. 
*
People don't need to understand that I am different, they just need to know that if they get close to me they will not be able to get close to anyone else. I can't help it, even if I want them to be in my life. I'm not the one that chooses who I get in my life, and I know that I will never be able to choose.

People can't understand what I go through, it just wouldn't be natural for them to understand. Even if I wanted to tell someone I wouldn't be able to, because I'm not allowed to. They don't let me,they are the ones that choose my life. Even though I'm the "big brother." They are the ones that control the life that they could never have. I've tried to tell them to leave me alone, but they never listen. 

They are ones that kill, I don't. Whenever they come into me it feels like I'm a stone. I'm about to see what I'm doing, but I'm not able to control what I'm doing. They are the ones that make me covered in red, not me. I can't, I wouldn't! I would never be able to hurt anyone, but when I think about it, I'm able to. 
*
I walked across the street towards the hardware store hoping that I might find some food for myself. I looked around to make sure that no one was there, but when I looked around, all I saw was death. I quickly, but quietly, opened the door and ran to the food aisle. All of the shelves were empty. I went to another aisle and saw the same thing. I ran across the whole store looking for the smallest amount of food, but I found nothing. 

I started to cry as I realized that I might have food for the third day in a row. I heard a *clink* which made me rise my head. My tears made it hard for me to see. I wiped my eyes with my sleeve and I looked in the direction in which I heard the noise. I saw that the sound had came from the front door. I walked over to it, but no one was there. I looked down at my feet to start crying again, but then I saw a bag. 

I picked it up and saw that it was chips. Were these here before? I asked myself as I investigated the chips closely. I heard another noise, but this I knew what it was from. I ran across the store into the freezer and hid in the corner.

I sat there and waited to see if They were coming. I was terrified, because I knew that if they find me, I'd be in pain. I could feel my heart rate get faster and faster by the second. It started to hurt, and I couldn't control it. I sat there for about fifteen minutes, until I thought that it was safe. I stood up slowly, and started to walk over to the door. As I walked toward it the room became colder and colder. By about half way to the door I could see my breath fog the air. I knew that they were here, I just wanted to ignore them to see if they would let me go. 

When I reached the door I saw that it was frozen top to bottom. I went to from the freezer and I started to walk towards the door. I was at the door when I realized that the chips weren't in my hands anymore. I looked around frantically but I couldn't find them. I looked towards the freezer and I saw them. They were where I was sitting. I didn't want to go back but I knew that I should. I ran over to them and I picked them up. They were as hard as a rock. This time I felt freezing, I turned around and say one of Them. 

It was the oldest one. She is the one that leads them all. "What are you doing Tom?"

I looked around trying to think of a way out, "I was just grabbing my chips."

"Did I say that you could have them?"

I looked down at the floor to avoid looking at her, "No you did not say that I could." 

She looked at me with a dark grin on her face, "Are you hungry Tom?"

"Please just let me go. I have to go fishing tonight anyways. You can be with me then."

There was a long pause. I could hear her wheezing as she thought about it. "Okay Tom, I'll let you go, but tonight we are going to have fun. Aren't we?"

"Ye..Yes." 
Chapter 2
*Splash*, as the bobber made contact with the ice-cold lake.  water. I looked out to the west, looking at the warm, mellow sunset. I don't see the sunset very often in the town, at least not anymore.

I like fishing, it's soothing to me. I tend to forget things when I'm fishing by myself. It's hard to enjoy myself now, because They always come with me. They make me see and do things that nearly kill me.  

I usually take one of the big boats whenever I need to go fishing, they let me get more fish in a smaller amount of time. This time I took a little smaller of a one, and it wasn't that bad. I was surprised that They didn't even come near me when I was fishing. I'm not complaining when I say that, but I was just curious why they didn't even show. Since they didn't show I decided to go out a little farther South than what I usually go. 

I found a huge lighthouse on a sandbar. I tethered my boat and I decided to see what was in it, but when I went up to the door a screaming voice started to ring in my ear. I fell to the ground and clinched my ears. My heart rate started to go faster and faster. It was just like before, I couldn't control it! I layed there helplessly not able to move or cry for help. 

Chapter 3
I woke up the next morning laying in my old rusty bed. I haven't slept in my old bed, let alone my old house, in years. I sat up and looked around. There were scratch marks on the walls, broken ropes tied onto my bed, and last but certainly not least blood stains everywhere. This is why I never go to this house.

"Is he going to be okay Father?"

"I'm sorry Lillian, your son is possessed. There isn't anything I can do without the church's consent," Father Tuffer said as he ran out of the house. 

"Please, we'll do anything to have our boy back," said Lillian crying, begging at his feet.

He looked at her with tears in his eyes, "You know that I would, but I'm honestly scared." 

He ran to his car and drove away. Lillian stayed there and cried. A man came of from the house and knelt beside her and tried to comfort her without crying himself. They sat there waiting until they heard the noise from upstairs turn into silence
*
I decided to go to the cemetery, which wasn't an occasion. I pushed open the old rusty gate and found myself in the world that I adopted, death. I walked in looking at every row, knowing everyone that lays there. I stopped at row thirty-two and turned right. I walked a couple of steps and I turned towards two graves. My parents. I don't usually go to any other grave, because they don't compare to my parents. I knew that my parents loved me and that they always will, or at least I hope so. 

The rest of the day was pretty quiet for me. They didn't show up at anytime of the day. I started to wonder why They left me alone. Maybe it's a trick that they are trying to play one me. I don't care, I just want to get through the day. 

The next six months They didn't show up. During that time I usually made fishing rods and lures. I tested which ones were the best. I liked that They weren't there. It gave me time to do whatever I wanted, which wasn't much. I went onto the break-wall a lot during that period of peace. It was so beautiful watching the sun set into the lake. I started to realize that the lighthouse that I ran into when I was fishing was the same one that my father would point out whenever we were on the break-wall. 

"I see it dad! I see it!!!"

"Ha ha I see it also son," my father would say whenever I was too excited to see the lighthouse. I started to jump up and down I was so excited to see it. I couldn't help but jump and yell. "Can I swim to it? Can I? Can I?"

"Someday you'll go to that lighthouse." He looked at me with joyful eyes. He had hazel eyes with a little touch of gold in them. It made him look bold and strong, which suited him very well. 

I remember looking into those eyes and feeling safe. I knew that they would protect me from anything that they could. I have my mother's eyes though, which I didn't mind. They were green, but they weren't like any normal green. They would change color to a green-hazel with a gold middle. Whenever I saw those eyes I saw kindness, I saw hope in every bad situation. 

" Mom, I think I broke my bone!!!" I said to my mother when I was on the warm cement sidewalk crying. I was in pain and terrified, and I didn't know what to do. 

" It's going to be okay Bubba, I promise." She would always call me 'Bubba'. I never understood why, but whenever she would call me that, I would feel closer to her. She ran over to me and looked at me in the eyes. I saw her eyes and all of my pain seemed to go away. I was mesmerized by her, I felt as if nothing could hurt me. That was the moment in my life where I realized that I will always be hope in my life.  

Chapter 4

I think that it's sometime in the middle of March. I woke up this morning and saw a blanket of mist around me. It was beautiful. I hate snow, but I love this kind of weather. It reminds me of a blanket that doesn't end. It keep me warm in a way, even though the air is chilly. I walked around today until I was so bored that I decided to go over to the lighthouse. 

I stood right in front of it and just looked at it from top to bottom. It was worn down and there seemed to be an ere presence to it. It gave me the chills and It made me not want to set foot into it. I think that that was the point. In my mind, I had the crazy idea that that is where They live. Maybe that's the way to get rid of them. I was desperate to get rid of them. 

I walked slowly toward the dark place. I could feel the water of the air become more dense. I could feel the temperature in the air start to drop dramatically. I wanted to turn back, but I knew that if I did, I would never be able to save myself. I walked until I got to a bridge. The bridge was long and narrow. It seemed like it had been used a thousand times. I was hesitant to walk on it, but after a while of contemplating I took small steps across. 

I was there, right at the door. I didn't think that the lighthouse was so big. I starred at the door, not knowing what to do. I wasn't sure if I would find anything anymore. I turned my back to the door and started to walk off. I walked onto the bridge and suddenly I heard, "Tom." 

I turned around quickly and scanned the area for signs of life. I saw nothing and I thought to myself, It was just in my head. I continued to start walking until I heard the female voice say again, "Tom." This time I took a minute to figure out who might have been talking to me. I thought for a minute, but I wasn't able to figure out who it might have been. 

I turned towards the door with curiosity. Who is this? Is there someone here other than me? Are they trying to trick me again?  All of these questions started to ramble through my mind. I didn't have any idea who it might have been. 

"Tom? Is that you?" 

I heard it louder this time. It seemed like it was right by me. It was a female voice that I didn't fully recognize. It was a voice of a girl. She seemed as if she was about my age. I turned around and saw no one. I looked back at the door and I started to walk towards it. I pushed on the old, decaying door and the door flung open. I looked around as the dust settled from the disturbed rest. 

I looked around, and say a dark, grey, dusty circular room. I looked to my left and say a sofa with a coffee table in front of it. There was a small television in the back corner. On the other side of the room there was a kitchen. It was old and rusty. There wan't much of it left. There was a metal spiral staircase in the back of the room. I looked at it to judge if it was safe to go up on. 

I walked slowly towards it placing my footing in certain areas of the floor. I started to climb up the staircase slowly, not knowing what to expect again. With every step there was a dark, horrid sound. I reached another opening that was on my right. I looked over and I saw a big desk with papers and accessories on it. I glanced trying to take in everything while moving. 

I kept going up what seemed like the never ending staircase. I reached a point that was blocking me with a old metal door. I examined the door quietly, not knowing what to do. Before I realized it, my hand was on the door handle. 

"Tom? Is that you?"

I turned quickly turned my head trying to find the source of the noise. I looked down at the steep set of stairs to see if I could see any sign of life. I saw nothing but darkness. Only a glimmer of light from the reflection that was coming off of the door. I started to turn the doorknob before I turned my head. Before I knew it, the door was wide open. 

I turned my head and saw a girl. She was right at the edge of the door. I jumped and lost my footing on the stairs. I started to feel myself go backwards and before I knew it, I saw nothing but black. 

  Chapter 5
I tried opening my eyes, but they didn't seem to want to open. I tried harder to open them, and they finally opened. All I saw what white. I closed my eyes to shield me from the pain, but there was still light coming through my eyelids. I kept my eyes closed for a few minutes and then finally opened them. The room start to darken and I was able to adjust to the light.

I got up slowly, not knowing what to expect. I looked around and I felt like I was hovering in mid air. I looked around me and all I saw was blue. It was a circular room again, and then I realized where I was when I saw the massive glass lens in the middle room. I was on top floor of the lighthouse. I looked outside and tried to take in the beauty of the sight. It was the most blue I've seen since I was child. I didn't know what to think for a second. Am I dead? Is this heaven? Where am I?

I heard the door start to open and I quickly faced it. I was ready to see anyone. I stood as talk as I could to make myself look powerful. A few seconds later the door was wide open. I looked at the face that was carrying the tray of food. I couldn't believe it. How did she make it out of here? Away from me?

I looked at her in a daze, trying to understand that fact that there was someone else here other than me. No only someone else, but her. She looked at me with shock. She knew that I was panicking and that I didn't know what to do.
"Tom it's okay. It really is me, " she said in a soothing voice.

"But.... how? How did I not get you?" I said trying to talk, I haven't said a word in months.

© 2015 Draven_Writes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

351 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 22, 2013
Last Updated on October 19, 2015
Tags: shortstory, horror

Author

Draven_Writes
Draven_Writes

Throton, CO



Writing
Patience Patience

A Chapter by Draven_Writes


Love Love

A Chapter by Draven_Writes