Fear

Fear

A Chapter by Karla Ivette Martinez
"

Main characters, Camille and Adam.

"

The sun is bright in the middle of the blue sky. Heavenly.

The countryside is always so sunny and clear, showering everything with light and life. It’s perfect. The vast landscapes are full of pasture; grass that grows generously thanks to the sunshine, and open space; and this is what Camille enjoys most about springtime. The season of rebirth and restart. The life and freedom.

A time to feel the warming sun on her skin; burning it enough to give her a little color. Even with her eyes closed, Camille can see the brightness of the sunny day behind her eyelids. The fresh air makes its way through her pores, lightening up her body and spirit. The low wind makes the green grass dance beneath her clothes where she lays. The gushing lullaby of moving winds that, stir up the smell of wet soil and fresh nature surrounding to the lake. Birds pleasantly chirping as they fly across the horizon of the heavenly blue. So lovely and full of life. Majestic.

The girl’s long hair spreads like a blanket over the beautiful dandelions and yellow flowers expanding on the fields. The cicadas singing nonstop in unison with the birds. This is the perfect time for it; the ending of the Winter and the start of Spring.

Camille’s fair skin is gently caressed by the breeze of the early afternoon. The perfect soothing touch to her damaged arms. Her face warmed beyond normal after being under the sun for many hours, but it helps her heal. She loves it the sun, the light and the life around it’s relishing to her.

The crystal-clear water of Blue Water Lake; her favorite place in Primavera Town. A lake that takes its name from the beautiful aqua color that takes over the water and it’s almost like a mirror laying on the ground, a perfect mirror to reflect the firmament and its glory.

And just like the sky; the lake doesn’t seem to have a bottom. At least no one has ever made contact with its floor, which is why it brings curious visitors all the time. Making it the most important treasure of a town that, it’s also named after the pleasant season of Spring. It’s a place everyone visits, but not on normal weekdays. Which is the perfect time for Camille to enjoy everything in peace.

Away from the eyes of the curious and gossip lovers that take pleasure in making assumptions about her appearance and behavior. People love to talk and make up stories about the way she stays away from people. The distance she keeps from the rest of the world is intriguing.

It’s hard for anybody to comprehend; how can such a delicate and pretty girl like Camille, can be the daughter of an alcoholic gambler, and a simple, worn out woman? A combination like that can’t be capable of creating a beautiful dollish looking girl.

To run away and be far from peoples made up stories. This time and place are the most peaceful escape Camille can find. Her little piece of heaven. A paradise she needs to have for her own. Only on given days, that is.

A cloud covers the sunshine, which immediately awakens Camille’s hidden phobia. The fear of darkness and cold. The shade slowly hovers over her body and the memory of a young Camille running away from a shadowy figure coming out of the bathtub tortures her. A creepy sound that comes from within the water, right before a black mist spreads like an oil stain from under. A disembodied voice that calls her name, to drag her into that bloodcurdling hole of emptiness and despair. An unknown dimension that craves for her.

The sensation that only brings her memories of insomnia and martyrdom, to think that behind the dark, there’s something; something silently stalking her. A taunting voice full of anguish and pain chants her name with nothing but hunger for her light.

The exhaustion of many sleepless nights where the shadows paralyze her body, forcing her to stay glued to her bed while the chilly and spooky figure comes forward from the corner of her room. Watching as she struggles to convince herself that it’s only her imagination. Although deep down Camille knows there’s something real; something so real that if she talks about it; she can be perceived as crazy and she doesn’t want to give her family any more reasons to be the center of attention of Primavera Town.

The memory of always waking up alone in the darkness of her room, screaming for someone to save her from the nightmares taunts her. Even though, she still fears this darkness. Her sleepless nights have made of her a robot; someone that walks in the world without showing any emotion, without feeling any emotion. With no reaction to the instigation of others, to the derision of being distant. But deep inside, the need for someone to show up and save her from that miserable life is stronger than her own wish to be happy.

Camille’s soul screams for a hand to help, but she knows that nobody will hear her voice, see her desperation for help. Her voice has been trapped inside, locked in a remote corner of her soul. It has been since the first time she asked for help and all she got was more pain.

But, what Camille doesn’t know is that there’s always someone willingly listening to her voice; earnestly looking for a hint, even when it’s just a silent whisper of sorrow. Someone wants to save her. Only, if she could ask. For now, until that moment comes, he will keep on waiting and silently watching over her.

Taking deep breaths to calm her voice, Camille impatiently waits for the cloud to move out of her way. Flexing her toes to their maximum. She can her cracking bones; as her muscles stretching to the point of almost tearing apart. Her arms straight beside her, tensely grabbing onto the grass, as dirt makes its way in between her nails. Camille prays to God, as the wind blows cold, carrying those familiar whispers of solitude. Those creepy voices calling out her name with the desire to curse her soul. Whispering how much they crave her, to join them in that world where she will know nothing but emptiness. Getting louder and louder as the cool breeze brushes over her skin. She adds more desperation to her prayers, hoping for the cloud to slide away with the wind.

“Help...” she cries quietly, her voice seems to be trapped behind the throat as a tear builds in the corner of her eye.

Trying to stay controlled, a lump in her throat forces her to breathe harder through her nose as it stings her windpipe. God! she shouts in her mind, gripping on the grass.





© 2019 Karla Ivette Martinez


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on March 13, 2019
Last Updated on March 13, 2019
Tags: Romance, darkness, innocent, love, pain, struggle, abusive, lost, hurt, fears, nature, magic, panic, scared, life


Author

Karla Ivette Martinez
Karla Ivette Martinez

Rockville, MD



About
I love to write stories that people would like more..

Writing